View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Agree with Evie - that kind of post is scare mongering. I assume the "virus" you are talking about is trichinosis? It's a parasitic disease to be precise and is incredibly rare in the modern developed world. Also, it is largely associated with pigs who have been fed on rubbbish rather than raised properly. SO, as long as you obey the normal rules you would use for any raw food (which i hope anyone here would be doing anyway) e.g. getting meat from a reputable sourse/supplier and freezing it before raw feeding your dog will never pick up trichinosis.
Oh and p.s. humans aren't imune to it either.
Please check your facts next time.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post
Hi, just to let you know...pork or any pig meat is a tad risky! There is a found in pork that human bodies can take, but dogs cannot. I can't remember the name of the virus, it is not found in "every piece of pork", but it is a risk that I am not willing to take on my dog personally. I will get the name of the virus for you to check out!

That post made me laugh. It's the kind of thing my nana says: 'Well this thing happened, but I can't remember where and someone did something but I can't remember who or what they did....but it was something anyway!'

My dog has eaten raw pork products for 12 months and is in brilliant health. Myabe in Canada there are problems with pork meat, but I am not aware of it in England.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Some dogs eat poo!! They don't get sick so I think as long as you're careful like the other posters have said then it'll be fine. I've given my dogs pork before and they've never had a problem.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Hmmm. Now I don't know what to do. Could the pork ribs be related to Molly's recent tummy troubles? Just a thought.
cally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2008, 06:49 PM
My dogs have hide chews rather than bones,because
of the splinters that could cause a problem,also
I thought pork was not good for dogs,if ok,why
are'nt there any tins of pork meat on sale?.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by cally View Post
My dogs have hide chews rather than bones,because
of the splinters that could cause a problem,also
I thought pork was not good for dogs,if ok,why
are'nt there any tins of pork meat on sale?.
Just one on the Hide chews - i'm led to believe (i don't have the proof, sorry) that the hide chews can actually cause a lot of problems - the hide can actually swell? in the stomach or something along the lines of 'get tangled up' - i'm not a technical person, lol as you can see.

A lot of dogs can't tolerate the beef hide chew either - my mates gsd would always have a bad stomach and really bad 'squits' (cos i can't spell the other word, lol) - when she stopped giving the hide - the improvement was 100%

I'm sure someone will be along shortly and either tell me i'm wrong or have more info on it
cally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2008, 07:01 PM
I have never had a problem with the hide
chews,however,I will bear in mind what you
said,and will probably contact my vet for
their opinion,cheers.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by cally View Post
I have never had a problem with the hide
chews,however,I will bear in mind what you
said,and will probably contact my vet for
their opinion,cheers.
No probs - can you let us know what was said please - thanks

The only trouble i had was with the white hide bones - Sasha had been chewing it for ages, all was well - then she started gagging and regurgitated a whole string mess off rawhide onto the floor. It really was quite flexible and i'm glad it all came up. It could easily have got stuck - minging wee bu**er went to eat it again, yuk!! Not a chance, lol.

I give her the wee hide cigars now which don't seem to be as bad.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 07:48 PM
I am slightly concerned about the pork. With Molly being a Westie, who are notorious for skin complaints, I try my best to be careful with what I feed her in the hope her skin won't flare up - touch wood she is now 5 years and her skin is absolutely fine.

Though she's not keen on the pork meat so I scrape most of it off with a knife and then give her the bone. She seems happy with that. She hasn't had one since her bout of diarrhea, and neither has Roxy.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Hmmm. Now I don't know what to do. Could the pork ribs be related to Molly's recent tummy troubles? Just a thought.
Hi,
I've read through the thread on Molly's dire rear. From what you've said on there I would think that the pork ribs aren't the problem since she was fasted and when the chicken and rice was introduced the runs came back. It sounds to me to be more of a bug that she caught rather than the effect of the ribs.

If you are in doubt keep an eye the next time you feed her pork and see how things are the other end. Some dogs can be allergic to a type of meat, but I feel it isn't the case here tbh.

Hope she's well on the mend now.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »