Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
They may get a bit more solid than usual, but I'd probably just play it by ear and see how they do the first time round. If they are a bit too solid after, then next time you could give some extra boneless chicken/tuna or whatever at lunch or tea time to counteract the effects of the bone.
HTH
Thank you for the tips, that's just what I'll do. I'm just about to take them for their evening walk, then they can have a rib each. It'll be interesting to see what they make of it! I'll take some photos and report back.
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Just be carefull with giving pork ribs - my dog once managed to crack pork rib in such way that it got stuck in his mouth. I had to take it out by hand and he was bleeding a bit but nothing serious. But if I wasn-t there watching him it could get worse...
I still give him pork ribs tho I just make sure I am always watching him when he has any bones.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by paw-paw View Post
Just be carefull with giving pork ribs - my dog once managed to crack pork rib in such way that it got stuck in his mouth. I had to take it out by hand and he was bleeding a bit but nothing serious. But if I wasn-t there watching him it could get worse...
I still give him pork ribs tho I just make sure I am always watching him when he has any bones.
My Loki splinters lamb bones, so I've stopped giving them to him, but it depends on how powerful a chewer your dog is as to how the bone will break. Smaller dogs shouldn't have the same problems, but I always supervise anyway, apart from marrow bones, which he can be left with.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Well, Roxy really enjoyed her pork rib and scoffed the lot without any problems.

Molly just looked at hers in disgust and went and lay down elsewhere away from the rib! This surprises me as she seemed keen on it when I was washing them.

I thought it may be the meat on it that was putting her off, even though there's hardly any meat on them. So I scraped it off with a carving knife. She still didn't want it. So she got a boring biscuit instead!

I'll try her with it again in a wee while and if she doesn't eat it, Roxy can have it tomorrow providing what comes out the other end is fine.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-08-2008, 12:53 PM
When I give tun a meaty bone he will often take it out of his bowl leave it in the middle of the floor and retreat to a 'safe distance' he does this for ages before finally deciding to eat it (he had a great result the other night when i came across an organic shoulder of lamb reduced at asda it was 1.2kg so i whipped a bit of the meat off then gave it to him, spent a good hour watching it then trying to bury it in the furniture before making a start on it!! It was all gone after a second attempt at it about 2am after he had put it next to me on the bed for safe keeping and had a kip! And he had the rest of the meat for brekkie)

I find it sometimes give tun a bit of encouragement if i poor boiling water over them? he like his chicken thighs at room temperature
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Bryan did the same thing when I gave him a whole mackerel for the first time. He licked it, then circled it, then went and sat in the corner of the kitchen watching it

I think once he'd decided it was definately dead, he could eat it!
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Oh yes! One of my rescues had only had dry food before and is now enjoying experiencing everything going! He just doesn't know what to do with raw stuff though - when i gave him some beautiful raw trout he was throwing it up in the air and sneaking round the table to pounce on it before he decided it really wasn't going to play and he had better see what it tasted like

He also point blank refused a raw trotter - the look on his face! He didn't know what on earth it was! Even when i cooked it i had to cut off a tiny bit for him to try before he decided he loved it and wanted it all!!!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Just an update to say they are both now enjoying their port ribs. Even Molly. They have not long finished one each and so far the poos have been fine on them, though a little too solid at first.
Eiffel
New Member!
Female 

15-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Hi, just to let you know...pork or any pig meat is a tad risky! There is a found in pork that human bodies can take, but dogs cannot. I can't remember the name of the virus, it is not found in "every piece of pork", but it is a risk that I am not willing to take on my dog personally. I will get the name of the virus for you to check out!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post
Hi, just to let you know...pork or any pig meat is a tad risky! There is a found in pork that human bodies can take, but dogs cannot. I can't remember the name of the virus, it is not found in "every piece of pork", but it is a risk that I am not willing to take on my dog personally. I will get the name of the virus for you to check out!
Scare messages like this with no real info aren't helpful.
If pork was risky my dogs, along with countless others, would have been suffering and ill long ago.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »