Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2008, 09:16 PM

Pork ribs

I bought some pork ribs today as a little move forward from chicken wings as they are going down with success just now after a setback of them not wanting them for a while.

I presume these are ok?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2008, 10:08 PM
They're a perfect transition from chicken wings. Isla has these because she doesn't do so well on lamb bones (won't go there! ). They're a nice soft bone too so a lot like chicken in that sense.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks, Rips. I'll try them with the ribs soon. Funnilly enough, I was looking at the lamb ribs as well, and just decided on the pork ones.

I think they'll both like them as they seem to be more bone and less meat.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I shouldn't have read this - I'm starving !

I keep meaning to get something like this for my lot as they would love it.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 05:57 AM
Two of mine can't tolerate chicken, so pork ribs was my next choice. They love them and I'm sure your dog will love them too!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 10:43 AM
My dogs love them, I give them half a slab each to munch on. Don't divide them up into indivuidual ribs, give them joined together to keep them busy.

Ribs make for quite a boney meal, you may want to add some boneless meat in along with it to avoid constipation.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Yup Ben loves pork ribs - not given him any for a while cos I got some great lamb knuckle bones that take him ages to munch on

sounds like you are doing great for your pair, the bones are far more fun for them than any chew that can be bought for them

agree to watch out for constipation if they have too many bones, a wee drop meat will help that (or if I really overdo it I give Ben a liver meal and that gets him moving again - watch out on new to raw dogs with that trick tho - a tiny bit of liver would prob be all thats needed)
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
My dogs love them, I give them half a slab each to munch on. Don't divide them up into indivuidual ribs, give them joined together to keep them busy.

Ribs make for quite a boney meal, you may want to add some boneless meat in along with it to avoid constipation.
I don't feed totally raw, Evie, just chicken wings and now pork ribs. They're more of a treat for mine rather than an every day thing.

For breakfast they get a handful of dry kibble, for lunch they get some chicken or tuna, or whatever's going that's suitable for them, for tea they get dry kibble (usually JWB, Burns, AG or Luaths - at the moment it's JWB) mixed with Nature Diet/tuna/mackeral/ or chicken etc with a little drizzle of EV olive oil. Then, after around two hours after their tea they are walked and often have a small poo. After their evening walk they would usually get a treat, like a biscuit or something but sometimes they get the chicken wing, only next time it'll be the pork ribs!

Do you think they could still suffer from constipation from one rib each for the first time on this diet (as the ribs are much bigger than the chicken wings)? Or would say I should give them some meat, which would be cooked.

I suppose it's down to the individual dog and a matter of just waiting to see what comes out the other end!

Thanks.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yup Ben loves pork ribs - not given him any for a while cos I got some great lamb knuckle bones that take him ages to munch on

sounds like you are doing great for your pair, the bones are far more fun for them than any chew that can be bought for them

agree to watch out for constipation if they have too many bones, a wee drop meat will help that (or if I really overdo it I give Ben a liver meal and that gets him moving again - watch out on new to raw dogs with that trick tho - a tiny bit of liver would prob be all thats needed)
Thanks, Pam.

When I was wrapping the ribs up individually to freeze them last night, Molly was licking her lips and moving about the kitchen in anticipation of getting one! Sadly, they didn't get one as I'm still doing my homework on them to find out when the best time to feed them is and if they'll be ok for them! Soon though, and I'll let you know how they get on.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I don't feed totally raw, Evie, just chicken wings and now pork ribs. They're more of a treat for mine rather than an every day thing.

For breakfast they get a handful of dry kibble, for lunch they get some chicken or tuna, or whatever's going that's suitable for them, for tea they get dry kibble (usually JWB, Burns, AG or Luaths - at the moment it's JWB) mixed with Nature Diet/tuna/mackeral/ or chicken etc with a little drizzle of EV olive oil. Then, after around two hours after their tea they are walked and often have a small poo. After their evening walk they would usually get a treat, like a biscuit or something but sometimes they get the chicken wing, only next time it'll be the pork ribs!

Do you think they could still suffer from constipation from one rib each for the first time on this diet (as the ribs are much bigger than the chicken wings)? Or would say I should give them some meat, which would be cooked.

I suppose it's down to the individual dog and a matter of just waiting to see what comes out the other end!

Thanks.
They may get a bit more solid than usual, but I'd probably just play it by ear and see how they do the first time round. If they are a bit too solid after, then next time you could give some extra boneless chicken/tuna or whatever at lunch or tea time to counteract the effects of the bone.
HTH
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »