View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2007, 07:24 AM
Is it a wheat based mixer as I can't find the list of ingredients on their site?
Becky
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2007, 10:55 AM
you could try switching her to a hypo food,JWB do a ocean white fish diet,and has worked wonders for one of our puppies allergic to chicken xx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Well she's fed mainly tripe I think it may be the mixer causing the problems. I know I used to sell a tripe and rice based mixer when I had my shop but can't remember who made it. I think it was Prize Choice but nothing on their website.
Becky
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2007, 11:51 AM
I still think that it is an allergy to something in the air in summer time, tried Piriton with my cav which seemed to help at first, and then useless. Did you ask vet about steroid injection that my dog had, it really has stopped all scratching totally, Some dogs develop allergies as I said before around thge age of 2. How old is your dog? Do hope you can get it solved soon, for dogs sake and yours, I know how awful it is to watch them. xxx
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

02-09-2007, 12:40 PM
HI When my dachie had an allergy I think to something in the grass at a certain time of the year I had him at the vet and the tests showed nothing.

I read in Jane Lilley's column in Dog World to try raw spinnach liquidised in a little olive oil andf sprinkle over his food. I used this for a couple of months and the rash went away, When the next year came and the rash appeared I used it from late May until late September and the rash has never come back so it may be worth a try as according to this column lots of people have had success with raw spinnach for skin problems
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Hope your girl over her itching by now, I remember rushing Jamie to the vet, when he was itchy thinking it the famous 'setter itch' and he did all these skin scrapes etc and found nothing! It was winter too so no chance of grass/pollen allergy and he doesn't have fleas/mites... Vet gave him advocate and anti-biotics... then I chatted to breeder and I asked him and he said the rash that Jamie had was infact a teething rash!! Thats why the vet found nothing!! I would def try the piriton though and fingers crossed for your girl
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 02:09 PM
beef can cause irritation of the skin, so it could be something in the food you are giving her,also wheat, I would try a hypo al food and see if that works, also the spinach suggestion is very good heard a few results from that. best way is process of elimination, eliminate the easy onces first, make sure no fleas, then try a no beef food, then no wheat etc this way once the change happens you will be able to identify what your dog is alergic too and avoid it in the future,

Mo
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Thank you all for your posts!! I have frontlined her again and she has had piruton yesterday and today. She does seem slightly less itchy but is still fairly bad...

The thing thats puzzling me is the vet found a flea on her paw and my OH thinks he saw one last night on her, yet she has had the frontline on the spot treatment 3 times now from the vets and I have deflead thw whole house!!

I have always been told Frontline wroks really well..but I wonder if Flower could be an exception??

Im pretty baffled but Im going to give her a week on these piruton tablets and see if she improves in any way, as it may be a mixture of both a summer allergy and fleas??
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Fingers crossed it all goes well. Try shampooing her in tea tree oil shampoo when next come to shampoo her.
Becky
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 05:35 PM
I've met a few people now who think the same as me about that Frontline, I always think it made my itchy dog worse! The vet also said they don't use it now, they advise either Advocate or Advantage, and my dog seemed a lot better with either of those. They also kill ear mites too. I stopped using Frontline about 3 years ago now on both dogs coz they did nothing but scratch more after I'd applied the pipette. The Piritons should help, and when I saw my vet recently with my itchy dog, she told me to up them to 6 a day!!!!!! I couldn't believe she said that!!!! I was always worried about giving him 3 a day let alone 6!!! I'm going to try the spinach with mine now, Id never heard of that before, but my dog's really bad, he's lived on steroid jabs all his life until recently when he can't have them anymore. Hope you succeed, it drives the poor dog nuts as well as you watching them!
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »