Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 07:58 AM

Itchier than ever...help!!!

Hiya there, I posted on here a couple of weeks ago as Flower was itching rather alot, found fleas on her and therefore frontlined her (with the spot on the neck treatment) and then sprayed the house and shampooed her with anti flea shampoo.

Everything seemed to be fine for a short while, but now she itching more than ever?? I havent seen anymore fleas on her, but I would have hoped de-fleaing the house and frontlining her would have done the trick??

I havent washed her bedding, so it shouldnt be that?

I have decided this week to give her no biscuits with colouring in as it could be this?

Does anybody else have any suggestions? I am going to book her in at the vets towards the end of the week I think as its so very uncomfortable for her...
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Did you shampoo her straight after the frontline?, you may have washed it off before it did the trick.

Some dogs do have a flea allergy and it can get into their bloodstream and cause them to have a really bad reaction, i.e. itching and tearing themselves to shreds to get to the itch, they generally need some antibiotics and a steroid injection if this happens. I know steroids are not good, especially when they're babies but sometimes its the only way to go, just one injection can have an instant effect.

I spray mine every three months with Frontline and I can't remember the last time I saw a flea, must be over 10 years ago.

One of my boys has a grass allergy but only in the summer, I give him piriton, one a day when it flares up, strangely enough, your post has made me realise he hasn't had it this year since he's been neutered

I do hope you manage to get little Flower sorted out, its distressing for them to keep itching and as bad for us to have to watch them and not be able to help.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 08:11 AM
no, I shampooed her first, and a couple of the blighters came out then!! Then frontlined her once she was dry.

I had never heard of dogs having a flea allergy, but if this is the case, threre may be hope for her if the antibiotics work! Would the vet be able to tell if its this?? I just always wonder with skin infections, as it must be hard to tell what the problem is!?

xxxx
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by annajennison View Post
I had never heard of dogs having a flea allergy, but if this is the case, threre may be hope for her if the antibiotics work! Would the vet be able to tell if its this?? I just always wonder with skin infections, as it must be hard to tell what the problem is!?

xxxx
I know that Finn got tested for an allergy to fleas when he was allergy tested last year. This was done with a blood test.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 08:16 AM
You have to wait 48 hours after bathing before frontlining as it reduces it's ability to work. I'd suggest alternating the flea treatment with one of the others for the time being. It is apparently a big problem with the warm wet weather we have had. I'm pleased I don't have carpets downstairs!
Becky
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by annajennison View Post
no, I shampooed her first, and a couple of the blighters came out then!! Then frontlined her once she was dry.

xxxx
Yes, your vet will be able to check her skin and see if she has a rash, my first Irish Setter was like that, which is when I discovered all the treatments and then Frontline. Even if there isn't a rash its worth asking if they think it could be a flea allergy, its a lot more common than people think, your vet may prescribe some AB's just to be on the safe side.

If Flower has a skin infection the AB's won't do any harm, they will just help clear any underlying infection however if she is itching due to a food allergy then the problem will continue until you discover what it is. The fact that you have seen fleas leads me to think it is those that have caused her itching, my vet described it as how a gnatbite effects us, they feel like that all over and bite and scratch to try to get to the itch.

I would also ask about Piriton, I keep it here in liquid form in case of bee or wasp stings and have been giving Tyler the tablet form for many years in the summer, (all on the vets advice), so it won't do any harm to pop her on those if he doesn't want to give her anything else, it will at least give her some relief from the itch.

I hope you get her sorted, do please let us know.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Thank you!! Im going to get her booked in at the vets I think, It will give me peace of mind, as its really distressing watching her itch constantly!

It makes me think it maybe is a flea allergy as her skin isnt red or sore, but will keep you updated.....
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Frontline Top Spot is a liquid that you apply to your pet. It kills ticks for 30 days on dogs and cats, and kills fleas for 30 days on cats and up to 90 days on dogs. (For dogs, we recommend reapplication every 3 months in the winter, every 6 weeks in July and August and every 2 months during the rest of the year.) Frontline resides in the sebaceous glands and hair follicles of your pet and remains effective after bathing or swimming. Because Frontline uses the oil in your pet's haircoat to travel and cover your pet, we recommend that you wait at least 48 hours before or after a bath to apply Frontline. Frontline is also approved for use in treating some types of lice and mites on dogs and cats.

Copied the above from the web, as I thought I had read somewhere that one should wait 48 hours after bath before applying Frontline. Just a thought!

Oops sorry took me so long to find the article that Becky had already put it on!
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 08:55 AM
I wonder if because I bathed her the same day the frontline was maybe not effective?? The vets may give me some more frontline? xxx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Wouldn't do any harm if you try another one this time around.
Becky
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »