Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Until 1986 it was legal to eat dog meat in Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat#Germany
till 1989 it was still DDR, NOT Germany

and however, even when that was happens in the BRD, then it was at crises and famine during the WW
guess that makes a difference?
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 05:01 PM
You have no idea under what circumstances swiss people ate meat, you just 'heard about it'. Anyways, you can't make individuals responsible for what used to happen in a country or assume they still behave like a minority of people decades ago. Otherwise, as a German, you'd have a lot to account for as well. So that argument is irrelevant.

I think you're just saying things now to get a reaction, so I'm going to remove myself now from this thread.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
You have no idea under what circumstances swiss people ate meat, you just 'heard about it'. Anyways, you can't make individuals responsible for what used to happen in a country or assume they still behave like a minority of people decades ago. Otherwise, as a German, you'd have a lot to account for as well. So that argument is irrelevant.

I think you're just saying things now to get a reaction, so I'm going to remove myself now from this thread.
it's still up to date

of May the 20th 2013
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_2395276.html

and one quote of it
Rita Dubois of Zurich-based animal welfare group ProTier added: "When a farmer's dog or cat has babies there are bound to be spare ones."

"The logic for the farmers is if they have to kill them anyway, they might as well eat them".
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
BUT dogs are meat eaters. They will need to eat meat and sadly, all meat used to be live animals at some point that had to be killed.
So whether it's the dog itself that kills the animal (and most dogs do so very quickly. When my dogs caught mice it was over in a second, cracked the skull and the mouse was dead instantly) OR IT'S HUMANS THAT KEEP ANIMALS CAPTIVE, RAISE THEM IN CAGES, TRANSPORT THEM ALL OVER THE WORLD AND THEN KILL THEM. In which case the animal has suffered fear and pain and then ended up dead on someone's plate or some dog's food bowl.
It is EQUALLY cruel to feed your dog processed dog food or meat from the butcher, because in all the cases there was once a live creature which was then killed for food.
I find it more honest for a dog to kill and eat an animal than for humans to feed dogs food that they don't know where it came from, how it was raised, how it was killed and more so that they don't have to think about it because it's so readily there and they don't have to 'watch it die'. They escape the reality of the cruelty that happened by choosing to ignore it.
Do you see what I mean? Just because you don't let your dog kill and eat animals, it still eats animals that were killed for it. But you don't have to see it so for you it's like it didn't happen.
I understand that. But I truly think that while what you're saying is valid, that you're missing my entire point. I was merely saying that allowing readily, or even worse, encouraging your dogs to savage wildlife or do nothing to try and help fellow living creatures is pretty bad IMO.

YES, dogs are meat eaters. YES in the wild lots of seemingly cruel things are done by animals. YES humans cause tons of torture to animals and the world. However; none of that is relevant to what I was saying.

OF COURSE my dogs eat meat, they are supposed to... they are carnivores. I don't study and read up on every single animal that was killed and processed for the many types of dog food, treats, etc. that I give my dog. That would be ridiculous and more or less impossible.

Nobody said anything about killing animals as a food source or whatnot. HUMANS cruelty towards food animals should be regarded as irrelevant in my cause and effect. Because directly, it isn't related to what I was trying to say.

All I was saying is that pets, indoor.. well fed house pets shouldn't be allowed to torture or maim wildlife because while it might be natural to animals humans have no control over.. why let your pet harm wildlife?

Most of the pets don't consume the wildlife they catch, and do it only for fun. Surely the animals don't realize what they're doing is cruel but I find it quite a bit like sport hunting... which I find disgusting.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7