Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Haha exactly!
A few years ago I tried to find dry food from traceable meat, at the time I was living in Switzerland, so I tried to find swiss dog food. I did find some swiss labelled products, but after investigating it turned out the dog food was manufactured in Switzerland, but the meat was mostly from the US and obviously not from a traceable source. Hence why I'm looking into raw.
I'm glad that none of you agree with what Ella's vet said and I'll be looking at hopefully finding a vet who's more open to the subject.
Just out of interest, if your just concerned with traceable meat....why has this led you to raw....rather than just cooking your own dog food?
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I was asked by one of the vet nurses once how my puppies got all the vits and minerals they needed if they were raw fed I just said oh they get them all don't worry about that, I just get sick of explaining it all!!! But it does show how glaringly uneducated vets are in general about raw feeding and that if it is commercially made food, 'they know what they are doing' yes of course they do, we have the excellent example of horse meat masquerading as beef don't we
Hi TW Well said crystalgirl
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Just out of interest, if your just concerned with traceable meat....why has this led you to raw....rather than just cooking your own dog food?
Well, I'm also interested in raw food for myself. My brother only ate raw for about 6 months and said it gave him so much more energy. As most of the enzymes you need to help digest food are killed off by cooking, raw sounds like a healthy way to live and helps you have a healthy digestive system. There's bowel cancer around in my family so I'm a bit sensitive to that I guess.
I doubt I'll ever be strictly raw, maybe not with the dog either, but I'd like to try it and see how it feels.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Shriley View Post
I agree with the rest, it's nonsense IMO.

IMO, the only way it would increase prey drive would be if it made the dog healthier and gave them more energy.

IME most vets don't have a clue about raw feeding.
I totally agree with everything you say, particularly your last paragraph!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Well, I'm also interested in raw food for myself. My brother only ate raw for about 6 months and said it gave him so much more energy. As most of the enzymes you need to help digest food are killed off by cooking, raw sounds like a healthy way to live and helps you have a healthy digestive system. There's bowel cancer around in my family so I'm a bit sensitive to that I guess.
I doubt I'll ever be strictly raw, maybe not with the dog either, but I'd like to try it and see how it feels.

Me too! I eat as much raw food as I can - every day I eat enough salad - leaves, coleslaw, cucumber, tomato, celery, everything raw. Nuts, berries, as much as I can of uncooked food. The only thing I can't manage is raw meat, I really don't fancy that, or raw fish, but raw feeding is the very healthiest way for us as well as our dogs, as unlike our dogs we don't need nearly as much meat and can live quite healthily with very little.

A very good friend of mine says that the one thing missing from the BARF diet is fur and feather - we should feed our dogs "whole" - not gutting, skinning or plucking - so as much as possible I encourage my boys to catch rabbits, squirrels, whatever they can catch, when out on walks and eat them whole, which they do with alacrity! The same with us - apparently, from our western diet we are missing eating insects - things like locusts, ants, are very important for us because of the keratin in the carapace's of insects like locusts, beetles etc. I don't think I could bring myself to eat such things, but I do eat a vast array of raw vegetables, salads, nuts, berries and seeds.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
My Lily a Working Cocker if forever catching mice/rabbits/birds not once has she tried to eat them. OH skins the rabbits, then she'll eat or bury it depending on how hungry she is but she quite honestly doesn't know what to do with a 'whole' animal
Originally Posted by alys View Post
A friends Goldie will happily chase and kill rabbits
Mine chase pigeons,but not chickens. I would have little faith in my vet if he spouted such errant nonsense!
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
so as much as possible I encourage my boys to catch rabbits, squirrels, whatever they can catch, when out on walks and eat them whole, which they do with alacrity! .
I can't believe what I'm reading here!

over here our wildlife is also under protection of the animal welfare act!

you wouldn't dare here to let your dog hunt for wildlife! it's called poaching!!!
if you would get chaught by let do them so, you really would get in trouble with the law!

in some of those cases, they even put the dog to sleep, when it didn't stop to poach

I love the wildlife too, not just my dog!
it always hurts me, when I see those dead animals along the roads, which got hit by a car
and then I should watch happily my dog killing them???
I never could let my dog kill any squirrels, rabbits or birds, or whatever
just happy, that not once she would go for to chase a mouse
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2013, 01:46 PM
...oh sorry, by that I just forgot...

totally rubbish, that with the getting taste for blood

is that vet left of the middle age?
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
I can't believe what I'm reading here!

you wouldn't dare here to let your dog hunt for wildlife! it's called poaching!!!
if you would get chaught by let do them so, you really would get in trouble with the law!

in some of those cases, they even put the dog to sleep, when it didn't stop to poach

I love the wildlife too, not just my dog!
it always hurts me, when I see those dead animals along the roads, which got hit by a car
and then I should watch happily my dog killing them???
I never could let my dog kill any squirrels, rabbits or birds, or whatever
just happy, that not once she would go for to chase a mouse
Just a little question: are you a vegetarian/vegan?
Because if you're not then I don't understand why you're so upset. Millions of animals are killed daily for food and people thoughlessly buy meat in supermarkets but think it's cruel for a dog to kill and eat a mouse/rabbit. It's not, it's a million times more natural than farming animals for human food.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
...[snip]...
So you would happily let your home be over-run with mice and rats because, being wildlife, they are presumably also under the protection of the animal welfare act?
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Just a little question: are you a vegetarian/vegan?
Because if you're not then I don't understand why you're so upset. Millions of animals are killed daily for food and people thoughlessly buy meat in supermarkets but think it's cruel for a dog to kill and eat a mouse/rabbit. It's not, it's a million times more natural than farming animals for human food.
actually no, I'm not a vegan nor a vegetarian and wouldn't even waste one thought of it to get one

talking about natural? well, it is natural for humans eating meat
but I know what you mean by farming of animals for food in connection of supermarkets?
well, that meat there certainly comes from factory farming, I absolutely dislike, so you wont really see me buying any meat there
gladly I earn enough, that I can afford the bit more expensive meat or sausage at my local butcher right in the next bit bigger community, even the meat for my dog I get there

so of him, I really know, that he sells only meat of ethical raised and ethical slaughtered animals, as I even know the farmers of whom he gets it

but nevertheless I will say, that sometimes I also get stuff in the supermarket, when I've got no other chance
but rather I resist of meat, which I also have no problems with

but as well, I never would condemn someone who just cannot spend that extra money for to get meat at a local butcher, if there at all is one?
rather difficult to find in cities

to your other point

I think we humans are civilized, so our dogs
kinda natural for dogs hunting, of course
but they got pets, they are no wildlife anymore

I don't mind foxes hunting squirrels for food, as that is wildlife

but pets hunting for wildlife to me is no go!

well, we also have hunters for shooting deers or boars
as we already took them their natural enemies
but they just can't hunt around like they want
and not at all everyone is allowed to!

just wildlife is for wildlife
not for pets!
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »