View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Phew, I'm really glad to read all your comments. I thought that was just an old wives tale but as it came from a vet it made me think. It wasn't my vet that said that but the one Ella's owner has been going to until now, I'll definitely be switching when I get her.
I also find it suspicious when vets recommend a certain brand of dog food and advertise it in their surgery. Seems to me they must get some kind of money from it and that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best kind of dog food, but the one that's got the most money.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I'm thinking of starting Ella on raw food for various reasons.
According to my research it's healthy for the dog and cheaper than kibble.
I'm also a vegetarian, mostly for ethical reasons, so in my opinion it's fairer to buy local meat that comes from animals that weren't commercially farmed than kibble, that contains meat from untraceable sources and imported from all over the world.

But I was just told that Ella's vet said raw food diet for dogs can make them aggressive and trigger their hunting instinct because it 'gives them a taste for blood'.

To me this sounds unlikely, but I'd like to know if any of you know whether that's in any way possible or if you've had such experiences?
I'm sorry to be so rude about a professional vet, but honestly this person is not fit to be a vet!! I have never heard SUCH a load of rubbish in all my life!!

He clearly understands absolutely nothing about the genetics of canids. They don't need to be "given the taste for blood" ... they already have it - it's called nature!!

I despair sometimes, I really do!!

Good for you btw - being a vegetarian but wanting the very best for your dog - congratulations!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 12:29 PM
A ever, in support of vets, I'd like to say that I have never been recommended a brand of food form any of the 7 or 8 vets I've seen in the last 20 years. The vet we have been going to for the last 7 years did recommend that I try tonks on a salmon and potato food but told me not to get it through the practice as it would be really expensive. He gave me a few brands I could try, suggested I had a net search for myself or just make it myself at home. There are lots of good vets out there who aren't just out to make a quick buck.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 12:40 PM
I am also a vegetarian, it can be a bit disgusting if you are not used to the blood!!

Good luck, I hope the dogs enjoy it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I'm thinking of starting Ella on raw food for various reasons.
According to my research it's healthy for the dog and cheaper than kibble.
I'm also a vegetarian, mostly for ethical reasons, so in my opinion it's fairer to buy local meat that comes from animals that weren't commercially farmed than kibble, that contains meat from untraceable sources and imported from all over the world.

But I was just told that Ella's vet said raw food diet for dogs can make them aggressive and trigger their hunting instinct because it 'gives them a taste for blood'.

To me this sounds unlikely, but I'd like to know if any of you know whether that's in any way possible or if you've had such experiences?
think I`d be looking for another vet if they believe something like that
Shriley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2013, 06:29 PM
I agree with the rest, it's nonsense IMO.

IMO, the only way it would increase prey drive would be if it made the dog healthier and gave them more energy.

IME most vets don't have a clue about raw feeding.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-03-2013, 06:33 PM
I was asked by one of the vet nurses once how my puppies got all the vits and minerals they needed if they were raw fed I just said oh they get them all don't worry about that, I just get sick of explaining it all!!! But it does show how glaringly uneducated vets are in general about raw feeding and that if it is commercially made food, 'they know what they are doing' yes of course they do, we have the excellent example of horse meat masquerading as beef don't we
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
But it does show how glaringly uneducated vets are in general about raw feeding and that if it is commercially made food, 'they know what they are doing' yes of course they do, we have the excellent example of horse meat masquerading as beef don't we
Haha exactly!
A few years ago I tried to find dry food from traceable meat, at the time I was living in Switzerland, so I tried to find swiss dog food. I did find some swiss labelled products, but after investigating it turned out the dog food was manufactured in Switzerland, but the meat was mostly from the US and obviously not from a traceable source. Hence why I'm looking into raw.
I'm glad that none of you agree with what Ella's vet said and I'll be looking at hopefully finding a vet who's more open to the subject.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2013, 12:12 AM
My vet is anti raw but the fact that he only sees them once a year for their boosters I think speaks for itself

My Lily a Working Cocker if forever catching mice/rabbits/birds not once has she tried to eat them. OH skins the rabbits, then she'll eat or bury it depending on how hungry she is but she quite honestly doesn't know what to do with a 'whole' animal
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2013, 06:02 AM
A friends Goldie will happily chase and kill rabbits,but has lived with my cats for three weeks and they ruled the roost. Dogs are very situational. Mine chase pigeons,but not chickens. I would have little faith in my vet if he spouted such errant nonsense!
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »