Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 12:35 AM

Raw food: 'taste for blood'?

I'm thinking of starting Ella on raw food for various reasons.
According to my research it's healthy for the dog and cheaper than kibble.
I'm also a vegetarian, mostly for ethical reasons, so in my opinion it's fairer to buy local meat that comes from animals that weren't commercially farmed than kibble, that contains meat from untraceable sources and imported from all over the world.

But I was just told that Ella's vet said raw food diet for dogs can make them aggressive and trigger their hunting instinct because it 'gives them a taste for blood'.

To me this sounds unlikely, but I'd like to know if any of you know whether that's in any way possible or if you've had such experiences?
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 06:41 AM
My dogs are all fed raw meat, it doesn't give them a taste for blood or make them aggressive. I can't believe that a vet would tell you this old wives tale.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 06:53 AM
Good grief, I haven't heard that old myth for decades! Maybe asks your vet how does he think a dog that tasts raw meat, but has never killed for themselves, makes the connection that the flesh they are eating and the blood they are tasting comes from inside the other animals and people that they meet? Surely raw dead flesh and a living being smell completely different?

Absolutely tosh! ...and that comes from a non raw feeder. I'm not a fan of it but turning the dog aggressive isn't one of my doubts!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
My dogs are all fed raw meat, it doesn't give them a taste for blood or make them aggressive. I can't believe that a vet would tell you this old wives tale.
Well said...I'd be a bit concerned about other advice the vet is giving to you if they are spouting old fashioned nonsense like that. Lol!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Dillon has 2 raw chicken wings a day and no signs of aggression from him.
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Wow, I also can't believe a vet would say that!

I wonder if the vet is anti-raw for whatever reason and said that as a way to try to put you off. Thousands of people raw feed their dogs and it has no link to aggression! Yes, if a dog hunted, caught and ate a rabbit they may well get a taste for hunting. But being handed prepared meat? I'm pretty sure they won't work out where it came from

Raw feeding DOES come with risks, just like any form of feeding does, but ultimately it is the most natural diet for your dog. I think it's especially admirable that you are keen on the idea despite being vegetarian yourself, and great that you are looking to source your meat ethically. Good luck
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I'm thinking of starting Ella on raw food for various reasons.
According to my research it's healthy for the dog and cheaper than kibble.
I'm also a vegetarian, mostly for ethical reasons, so in my opinion it's fairer to buy local meat that comes from animals that weren't commercially farmed than kibble, that contains meat from untraceable sources and imported from all over the world.

But I was just told that Ella's vet said raw food diet for dogs can make them aggressive and trigger their hunting instinct because it 'gives them a taste for blood'.

To me this sounds unlikely, but I'd like to know if any of you know whether that's in any way possible or if you've had such experiences?
Hi When I used to feed raw tripe to my Afghan,the vet told me it was to much potassium,so then put some mince with it to add protein and a good mixer,that seemed to balance his diet,I think its very difficult to get a balance,as the people who work out what goes into a brand of food,are trained,though there is a lot of info on here.crystalgirl
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Yes...what everyone else says .... the majority of vets do not like raw feeding. Probably because your dog stays healthier and doesn't suffer from the many digestive upsets caused by the foods that the vets sell you in the first place,then they sell you bags of whatever that cost around a million pounds each.
Ash's (now Junior) new daddy showed him one their bunnies yesterday, he was quite underwhelmed, looked at it and walked away, and he has been raw fed since 3 weeks old when I started weaning them!!! So if you go on what the vet said he should have dived on it, tore it limb from limb and eaten it. I was concerned he may have thought it a new playmate, but his cousin plays with the bunnies and so does their old jrt, I know its under supervision of course, so its what you teach them is acceptable and what isn't
Alice Childress
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post

This is one of the many myths surrounding raw feeding and really your vet should know better

Although, lets not forget that many vets sell commercial food and surprise surprise, seem to recommend those products

It's absolutely nonsense that it will give Ella a taste for blood
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2013, 11:46 AM
I to am vegetarian and feed raw as it is easier to source ethical meat,that way. I also keep ex- battery hens and my dogs live quite happily free ranging with them in the garden. I have a GSD.that I train in IPO and a Dobe puppy,so relax it will be us that go mad at the smell of blood!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »