Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by IanIOW View Post
You are MISSING what I'm saying. They no longer have it because they can't get it as demand has got bigger than supply.
Anyway good luck in finding a supplier.
YOU are MISSING what I am saying. I had easily come to the conclusion myself why they had stopped selling it, but regardless of that, I want to find a supplier who offers more choice. Regardless of why DAF stopped doing rabbit and pheasant... the simple fact is, is that they no longer sell it... so I don't see why you are continuing with the point.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 11:21 PM
I think prize choice blocks are mostly chicken even in the non-chicken flavours, so I only feed prize choice tripe.

Hope you find a stockist Do you not have any abbatoirs or decent butchers there?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
I think prize choice blocks are mostly chicken even in the non-chicken flavours, so I only feed prize choice tripe.

Hope you find a stockist Do you not have any abbatoirs or decent butchers there?
Thanks

I have an abattoir really close to me, that I am going to call when I am closer to needing some meat... Failing that, there is one a bit further from me that Laura posted about a while back, and she said they definitely sell things so for red meat I can use them. It is more for chicken, rabbit, duck (if he will eat it ) etc that I want a supplier for.

I do have a good butcher though who gives me chicken really cheap, but I can't get over to that one too often... so, when I next go get liver and kidney from the butcher near me (I get heart and bones from them too), I will ask them nicely if there is anything I can take off their hands

And, just now I am searching for a place to get rabbit, pheasant etc from... I would prefer to get everything all in the one place, but I think getting bits from all over will work out best, and I do prefer to get food from the butchers.

Oh well, that was a bit of a ramble
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
YOU are MISSING what I am saying. I had easily come to the conclusion myself why they had stopped selling it, but regardless of that, I want to find a supplier who offers more choice. Regardless of why DAF stopped doing rabbit and pheasant... the simple fact is, is that they no longer sell it... so I don't see why you are continuing with the point.
Why keep harping on about it then ? I don't think it will be the end of the world if you can't find a supplier for rabbit or pheasant.
To be honest I wish I had never answered your post as I did not want to get in to a debate on the suppliers of raw food. I offered you an explanation on why it may not have been in stock or not sold any more and then its up to you to make your own mind up. The last thing I want is to get into an argument over nothing important and that is what is happening here.
This is the reason I tend not to post that often on forums anymore because you offer explanations/advice and it only gets thrown back in your face.
Just for the record I'm not a newbie to raw feeding and dog ownership having kept my own dogs for 30+ years.
As I have already said good luck in finding a supplier that meets your needs.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Re: Prize Choice, anything that has "dinner" in the title is not all one meat.

So the chicken, turkey, beef, white fish and tripe is all 100%
The lamb dinner and rabbit dinner are only about 30% lamb or rabbit, the rest is chicken. I guess because these are the most expensive meats.

The prize choice beef and tripe chunks are pretty good.

I know what you mean about wanting variety, I do get whole rabbits, but I had wanted to get some duck and pheasant from DAF for variety but can't get pheasant now and heard several stories about dogs either not eating duck or throwing it back up

I got my recent stock from Berriewoods. So he regularly gets chicken, turkey, lamb, beef and tripe. Add in pig trotters/pork ribs, white fish and oily fish from the supermarket and that's still 8 different meats. While I'd love to get some game birds for variety, it's difficult in London and I've accepted that 8 meats realistically is probably enough variety.

TDFC have now started offering turkey, lamb and venision which he didn't before, which is great Do you know if he'll deliver to your area?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Re: Prize Choice, anything that has "dinner" in the title is not all one meat.

So the chicken, turkey, beef, white fish and tripe is all 100%
The lamb dinner and rabbit dinner are only about 30% lamb or rabbit, the rest is chicken. I guess because these are the most expensive meats.

The prize choice beef and tripe chunks are pretty good.

I know what you mean about wanting variety, I do get whole rabbits, but I had wanted to get some duck and pheasant from DAF for variety but can't get pheasant now and heard several stories about dogs either not eating duck or throwing it back up

I got my recent stock from Berriewoods. So he regularly gets chicken, turkey, lamb, beef and tripe. Add in pig trotters/pork ribs, white fish and oily fish from the supermarket and that's still 8 different meats. While I'd love to get some game birds for variety, it's difficult in London and I've accepted that 8 meats realistically is probably enough variety.

TDFC have now started offering turkey, lamb and venision which he didn't before, which is great Do you know if he'll deliver to your area?
doubt they will deliver to lozzi in scotland, because they wont deliver to me and im in cheshire.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 09:26 AM
No, you're right. I didn't know where Motherwell was. Geography is not my strong point
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by IanIOW View Post
Why keep harping on about it then ? I don't think it will be the end of the world if you can't find a supplier for rabbit or pheasant.
To be honest I wish I had never answered your post as I did not want to get in to a debate on the suppliers of raw food. I offered you an explanation on why it may not have been in stock or not sold any more and then its up to you to make your own mind up. The last thing I want is to get into an argument over nothing important and that is what is happening here.
This is the reason I tend not to post that often on forums anymore because you offer explanations/advice and it only gets thrown back in your face.
Just for the record I'm not a newbie to raw feeding and dog ownership having kept my own dogs for 30+ years.
As I have already said good luck in finding a supplier that meets your needs.
OMG!

I AM harping on about it?? You are the one not dropping it! I don't give a fig why DAF don't rabbit or pheasant or have low stocks EVERY time... That is irrelevant to me, the fact is is that they don't have the choice I am after so I want to find somewhere else that DO have a better choice! You have failed to understand that, and keep insisting in explaining to me about rabbit being hard to supply! And, not only that but I don't like your tone with your 'I think you will find'.

Yes, it is up to me to make my own mind up... and my decision is to find another supplier, or source of rabbit and pheasant. I know it won't be the end of the world if I can't find rabbit or pheasant, but I want to try... I want him to have a slightly better variety. There is nothing wrong with that.

I take on board what people say, especially in reply to my questions, but you were the one going on trying to explain when I understood you point, and my point was different. The isn't throwing it in your face.

I don't know why it matters how long you have fed raw for, but I won't be reply again.

I need to take the dogs out now, and enjoy my walk!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
No, you're right. I didn't know where Motherwell was. Geography is not my strong point
you know your order from berriewoods, are the blocks the same as the prize choice blocks?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 10:14 AM
All the bags of chunks were Prize Choice (even though the photos were Berriewoods own brand on the internet).

The mince blocks were Berriewoods own brand. Good quality. Similar to Prize Choice. Except I believe the lamb is 100% lamb I don't think any are mixed with chicken except the obvious, like chicken & tripe which are labelled as such.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »