View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 11:10 AM
I have only just seen this and was dreading reading through to the end of this, given that i am staring at my two springers one of whoms first birthday is today.

I am so pleased it hasnt been the outcome i was fearing, and hopefully now some further tests might help get to the bottom of it.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Am I alone in being faintly horrified at the advice from the vet?
What you do with a dog who has had a fit is to leave them alone to come out of it. It takes at least 30 minutes. You can see when they`re back with you by the eyes.
Occasional seisures are not uncommon. They can be triggered by heat, toxins, illness etc etc.
I had one GSD who had just one. And a Hound who would have one every few months. It is not a life sentence in most cases.
Change your vet!
Not at all Claire i was horrified too. I really felt for Angie because you want the vet to help you yet that one couldn't of been any further from helping if he tried.

Angie i am so pleased your dog is back to normal it must be such a relief for you. How scary to have gone through seeing your dog like that
Jonesy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2011, 11:15 AM
glad he is back to normal,but think i would be changing my vet at a time like this you should have been getting some support from them
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 11:20 AM
It sounds to me like this was a long lasting seizure. Seizures come in different ways, some dogs convulse and some just look dazed and some react how your boy did. Please dont treat it like it may be a one off, you cant take the chance of this happening again, he definitely needs thorough investigations at the vets. Epilepsy(if it is indeed this) is very well managed nowadays.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Am I alone in being faintly horrified at the advice from the vet?
No, you're not alone. I think it's absolutely disgusting that not only did neither of the vets offer any help whatsoever but one said they'd put the dog to sleep without even seeing him! I'd be looking for a new vet immediately.

Angie, I hope you can get to the bottom of this and I hope Ace is okay.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2011, 12:32 PM
think the vet siad that cos of the aggresion if he didnt come out of it i would have agreed ace didnt recognise me while he was like this he didnt even recongnise his own name. ill be asking for every test that there is hes insured so doesnt matter about the cost and although hes out of it hes still not right .
ive never ever been scared of a dog even the one we had that i found out was brain damaged and bit the kids (he went with first bite) but today dont know if it was shock but was really frightened of my old boy.
the first 2 vets were nearer hence why i rang them but will be giving them a wide berth from now on
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Jesus Christ, can you imagine if either of those vets HAD been able to come out first thing this morning when you rang I'd be giving them a wide berth too!

So, so glad that he now seems ok, and I hope you get the answers you want from the tests you're going to have done. Thank God he came out of it whatever it was and good luck with those tests, fingers and paws crossed here for you. Bless his heart, poor little mite. YOu expect to get the right answers from a vet don't you in emergencies like you had
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 12:45 PM
When Champa fitted he came out wanting to kill everything in sight. It lasted a while with the last one.I shut him in the bedroom and let him calm down.

My friends GSD had to be left for hours afterwards as he did the same thing.

rune
bijouinnuendo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Keeping everything crossed for you that the vet can get to the bottom of this. So pleased he is back to his normal self.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
think the vet siad that cos of the aggresion if he didnt come out of it i would have agreed ace didnt recognise me while he was like this he didnt even recongnise his own name. ill be asking for every test that there is hes insured so doesnt matter about the cost and although hes out of it hes still not right .
ive never ever been scared of a dog even the one we had that i found out was brain damaged and bit the kids (he went with first bite) but today dont know if it was shock but was really frightened of my old boy.
the first 2 vets were nearer hence why i rang them but will be giving them a wide berth from now on
I am glad Ace is OK now, and hope the tests find out what caused the terrible episode.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
When Champa fitted he came out wanting to kill everything in sight. It lasted a while with the last one.I shut him in the bedroom and let him calm down.

My friends GSD had to be left for hours afterwards as he did the same thing.

rune
I think I would go nuts if Pereg was like that, as I have nowhere to shut her in. She was bad enough on Sunday with her post-ictal ravenous hunger and behaviour, but she has never tried to attack me when coming out of a seizure.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >