Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2011, 07:04 AM

Urgent Advise Plse

ace 11 yr old springer has either just had a fit or a stroke i stayed with him he was down for about 10 mins which he pooed and weed he got up ran to the hallway and constantly barked went to reassure him and he bit me (never ever done before) managed to get a slip lead on him as he was running up the stairs to get the kids. ran the vet who told me to get out the house??? well couldnt cos had half the kids down with me other upstairs and him in the middle by front door!! anyway calmed him enbough to get him passed the other dogs and outside hes now in the shed (door open) left him in there but have just gone back and hes cowing in the corner still barking aggresive with me.
vet said to call after 8.30 but dont know how im going to get him there cant get a muzzle on him either(vets at top of rd) this has been going on since just befiore 7am
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
ace 11 yr old springer has either just had a fit or a stroke i stayed with him he was down for about 10 mins which he pooed and weed he got up ran to the hallway and constantly barked went to reassure him and he bit me (never ever done before) managed to get a slip lead on him as he was running up the stairs to get the kids. ran the vet who told me to get out the house??? well couldnt cos had half the kids down with me other upstairs and him in the middle by front door!! anyway calmed him enbough to get him passed the other dogs and outside hes now in the shed (door open) left him in there but have just gone back and hes cowing in the corner still barking aggresive with me.
vet said to call after 8.30 but dont know how im going to get him there cant get a muzzle on him either(vets at top of rd) this has been going on since just befiore 7am
Sounds to me like hes got some kind of pressure on his brain to suddenly have a seizure then act totally abnormal.

He could also just be scared too, specially if it hasnt happened to him before.

Call the vet back & ask them to come to you, am sure they will be able to in an emergency like this.

Have you tried getting near your dog with some of his favourite food or toy or blanket?

I really do think he is scared. Let us know how you get on
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2011, 07:16 AM
no have rang 2 vets up and both say wait til hes settled then come into them! my vets is a long way off and no way can i get him in a car but also reg at the one at top of rd for emergencies like this. i know hes frightened but hes def not the same dog just popped in with some food and hes snarling and barking at me so now cant even get him to get to the vets!!
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 07:24 AM
no have rang 2 vets up and both say wait til hes settled then come into them! my vets is a long way off and no way can i get him in a car but also reg at the one at top of rd for emergencies like this. i know hes frightened but hes def not the same dog just popped in with some food and hes snarling and barking at me so now cant even get him to get to the vets!!
Ok, I suggest you call your vet back again, ask them if they can prescribe you some form of mild sedative tablet/medicine JUST ONE DOSE that you may be able to put on ham or something & throw to your Springer just to calm him down a little. Then you should be able to get close to him & get him to the vets.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-07-2011, 07:25 AM
I am sorry. Would it be possible for you to pop along to the vet and get some sort of sedative ? Put the sedative in some food or treats for him. You could leave it by the door hopefully he will take it and then you can get him in the car and along to the vet.

Sounds like he needs some urgent help and to be fair the vet is going to have to sedate him anyway he sounds in no mood for being pulled around.

Hope they can help with this suggestion.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I am sorry. Would it be possible for you to pop along to the vet and get some sort of sedative ? Put the sedative in some food or treats for him. You could leave it by the door hopefully he will take it and then you can get him in the car and along to the vet.

Sounds like he needs some urgent help and to be fair the vet is going to have to sedate him anyway he sounds in no mood for being pulled around.

Hope they can help with this suggestion.
Great minds think alike, I cant see any other way to do it either.

Have the vets said if any of his test results are back yet? They my rush them through a bit quicker now its urgent x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Great minds think alike, I cant see any other way to do it either.

Have the vets said if any of his test results are back yet? They my rush them through a bit quicker now its urgent x
I agree it seems the only possible way as they seem to be very unhelpful at the moment.

Angie and Ace are both in need of help and urgently
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2011, 07:38 AM
i threw some stuff that he loves in with him not touched it just went in again to reassure him and hes the same as he was when he came out of the fit i know he will bite me again its def not the same ace that was eager for his food first thing this morning! and thee vet wont have him there until hes calm well its been nearly 2 hours and hes still the same, my usual vet doesnt open til 9 and if no better they may give me better advice and ill check his results as well. arm is now swollen as well where he bit me!
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 07:43 AM
i threw some stuff that he loves in with him not touched it just went in again to reassure him and hes the same as he was when he came out of the fit i know he will bite me again its def not the same ace that was eager for his food first thing this morning! and thee vet wont have him there until hes calm well its been nearly 2 hours and hes still the same, my usual vet doesnt open til 9 and if no better they may give me better advice and ill check his results as well. arm is now swollen as well where he bit me!
I know this is extremely difficult in this situation, but try stay calm as he may also be picking up on your vibes. 20 mins til your normal vet opens, hes already waited 2 hours , so 20 mins to get advice from those that know your doggy should be ok.

Has he punctured your arm when he bit it? Sounds like you need to get that seen to aswell. I wish I was closer to try give you a hand x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 07:47 AM
This happened to me once with my mother's dog, can you throw a blanket over the dog and then get hold of him to take him to vet?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »