Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by loolahoop View Post
erm... i dont know sally...
we were lookin for a BC (didnt matter if it was a puppy or not) and come across an advert on a website (maybe preloved..cant remeber - we looked at LOADS!)
it didnt say in the advert that it was a business or anythin, but wen my partner brought him home he sed that the bloke did it as a business n had like outhouse type things wid loadsa puppies in - apparently he was tryna talk him into buyin a cocker spaniel.
does that sound like a puppy farmer? i dont really know wot a puppy farmer is...
shud i not have got my puppy from him? xxx
to be honest no. that is a puppy farmer. having dogs in an outhouse with a number of breeds and trying to sell you a different breed than you want is completely a puppy farmer. they dont care about welfare of dogs, and are simply in it to make money. which probably means your dogs parents havent had the health tests they should have, and there could be a list of problems that could be wrong. i dont want to worry you but thats often the case, so its good that you are taking him to the vets to get checked out.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Sorry to hear your pup has been having a few settling in issues.

I would definitely take him to the vet and get him thoroughly checked over and probably have him wormed too if he came from the type of place you described Did you get to see him with his litter mates and mother before buying? Were they healthy, bright and alert?

Regarding food, why not try him on whatever food you intend feeding him. I have two 11 week old BC pups here and I feed four times daily. Like Sally, I feed two meaty meals and two milky meals, and my pups eat well. If you are feeding kibble, try soaking it in a little milk and putting a bit of cooked mince in with it, to try and encourage your pup to eat.

Did you get any papers with your pup?
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
to be honest no. that is a puppy farmer. having dogs in an outhouse with a number of breeds and trying to sell you a different breed than you want is completely a puppy farmer. they dont care about welfare of dogs, and are simply in it to make money. which probably means your dogs parents havent had the health tests they should have, and there could be a list of problems that could be wrong. i dont want to worry you but thats often the case, so its good that you are taking him to the vets to get checked out.
Agree totally and probably explains more why he didn't eat at first in this new strange enviroment.. says a lot when you are not told what diet they are on..dread to think what food he was brought up on but you have him now , the vet will check him for any problems and lots of folk on here will advise you if you have queries.. so hope all goes well with your little boy... wishing you lots of years of fun and joy with him
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 09:09 AM
erm... i dont know sally...
we were lookin for a BC (didnt matter if it was a puppy or not) and come across an advert on a website (maybe preloved..cant remeber - we looked at LOADS!)
it didnt say in the advert that it was a business or anythin, but wen my partner brought him home he sed that the bloke did it as a business n had like outhouse type things wid loadsa puppies in - apparently he was tryna talk him into buyin a cocker spaniel.
does that sound like a puppy farmer? i dont really know wot a puppy farmer is...
shud i not have got my puppy from him? xxx
Oh dear Your pup has not had a good start in life, bless him. Puppy farmers are the lowest of the low

I do hope the vet is able to give him the all clear today, sadly a lot of puppies born in such appalling conditions and with no regard for their health and well being, often go to their new homes already sick
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 11:03 AM
I think I`d drop a note in to the local council to see if the guy is licenced too. And make sure the Dog Warden knows he`s in business.
loolahoop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:19 PM
oh no i feel terrible now, i didnt realise people did that! - how naive am i!?
i googled puppy farm so sad tha people do that...

i didnt see the pup myself as my partner went on his own to collect him, he said he see mum and the other pups, apparently he chose our one as he was most shy n felt sorry for him.
he isn't KC registered, the man did give us like a pack thing that said they dont KC register them as they want the pups to be family pets n not for competing etc.
i was given a "pedigree certificate" saying his breed, DOB and the registered names of his parents, grand parents and great grandparents.
it also says he was last flead/wormed 25.03.11

well anyway.... vets went well she looked him over, he licked her lol, she said he looks healthy, good weight, no fleas, she felt his tummy n said it felt ok, but if the diahorrea continued until thurs to take him back striaght away, but sed if he is eating and drinkin it should soon settle.
he had his 1st jab but she didnt worm him as the pack from the breeder said he was only done a few days ago, but she also gave me a few things to look out for, so im feelin a lil more confident now

i did want to ask tho... what would you suggest i fed him? like any particular brand?
thankyou all for you advice xXx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:26 PM
I really think you need to go out and buy some good (not Cesar Millan) Puppy books and get learning, tbh. These are all issues (feeding, worms, background, breeding) that any puppy buyer needs to research.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm so glad the vet gave him the all clear!

There are no set rules regarding food. Little and often for puppies. If he is dehydrated, I personally wouldn't be giving dry food atm, or if you do, wet it first.

I use JWB for tea, and butchers and mixer for breakfast. Each to his own. If you find a good quality food your dog likes, then that is right for you!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:28 PM

i didnt see the pup myself as my partner went on his own to collect him, he said he see mum and the other pups, apparently he chose our one as he was most shy n felt sorry for him.
he isn't KC registered, the man did give us like a pack thing that said they dont KC register them as they want the pups to be family pets n not for competing etc.
i was given a "pedigree certificate" saying his breed, DOB and the registered names of his parents, grand parents and great grandparents.
it also says he was last flead/wormed 25.03.11

well anyway.... vets went well she looked him over, he licked her lol, she said he looks healthy, good weight, no fleas, she felt his tummy n said it felt ok, but if the diahorrea continued until thurs to take him back striaght away, but sed if he is eating and drinkin it should soon settle.
he had his 1st jab but she didnt worm him as the pack from the breeder said he was only done a few days ago, but she also gave me a few things to look out for, so im feelin a lil more confident now

i did want to ask tho... what would you suggest i fed him? like any particular brand?
dont worry, you should have done more research really and found a reputable breeder rather than go to where you did but there's nothing you can do now.

as for the not registering as KC thats not true. dogs can still compete if they arent KC registered, they have an activites register for things like agility. the reason the man didnt register them was because it costs them to do so, and also the KC will then have more of an idea on how many litters will be produced, which they dont want.

im glad the vet said he was ok as for foods there are so many you can go for, and so many people on here will reccomend different ones.

i feed raw as i like to know exactly what my dogs are getting, and its as natural as possible.

if you dont want to go down that route then there are plenty of different foods for you to feed dry or wet. id still pick the most natural you can and not necessarily the most exspensive. i have found that when i ran out of raw i fed mine wainrights which is a pets at home own brand, and mine loved it, others are things like naturesmenu, natures harvest. dry foods fish for dogs and burns are good and also skinners.

really up t you with food but i stay away from brands like pedigree and bakers.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:48 PM

i was given a "pedigree certificate" saying his breed, DOB and the registered names of his parents, grand parents and great grandparents. it also says he was last flead/wormed 25.03.11

I would be interested to know his parents, grandparents and gt grandparents?

Regarding food, there is a huge choice of different types and brands of food, to suit all budgets.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »