View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 05:57 PM
id definately get it booked into the vets asap. get checked over and check everything is ok.

at 11 weeks id be feeding four meals a day, when i had asbo i fed him 8, 12, 4, 8. then a little treat before bed time about 10.

id be worried a pup was refusing food, so definately go the vets.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 06:02 PM
I brought my puppy home Two weeks ago at 8 weeks,She ate within an hour of being home and i had her on six meals a day and have now gone down to Four a day which i'll continue with for a few months (I work for myself so can do this quite easily)
To be fair i would be a bit worried too,although she could just be settling in.Can't say i've had one come home and gone without food for that long.You should be taking her to the vet anyway for a check up after buying her so i would mention all this and see what they say.Hope everything is ok.
loolahoop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2011, 07:46 PM
yes, i did bring him home in the car- was about 1 1/2 hours...
he is drinking fine, and is eating fine now, and hasnt vomitted since - but now has diahorrea (sp?) poor lil thing is one thing after another n ive only had him 24 hours!!
i have an appt at the vet for him tomorrow anyway for a once over and start jabs, i did fone to ask if they cud see him today but they said they were fully booked til tomorrow mornin
like i said before he seems fine in himself, just hope he is ok...

also, at the risk of sounding like an idiot... whats a crate?

xxx
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Dog crates look like this

http://www.pawspetsupermarket.co.uk/...zes-9773-p.asp

For new owners, it takes getting used to, but believe me, dogs love them!

Mu mum was told about it, and seemed to understand, or so I thought. Then, one day we were at her house, and she came to see us off. I opened the back door on the car,, and Jake jumped into his crate and lay down. "Oh!" she says, "he LIKES it!" Doh. It is not a punishment!
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
For new owners, it takes getting used to, but believe me, dogs love them!
Mine dont. My last puppy had his head out the top trying to escape. He screamed the house down and wasnt having any of it.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 09:35 PM
I just wonder if it is possible that all that is wrong here is the after effects of a pup being taken to a new home, which included quite a long car journey - the first in it's short little life - followed by a totally new environment and experience of busy family life.

Couple with this the atmosphere of tension and worry because the first meal was not wolfed down, and just maybe this has affected your puppy and has caused the sickness and now diarrhoea. Thankfully your vet has fitted you in tomorrow, when he will be able to fully examine the little chap, and hopefully you will have good news.

As for the food, it might be sensible to decide on what diet you are aiming for and gradually start adding this to what your breeder gave you, whilst reducing the breeder's food accordingly.

Good luck
loolahoop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I just wonder if it is possible that all that is wrong here is the after effects of a pup being taken to a new home, which included quite a long car journey - the first in it's short little life - followed by a totally new environment and experience of busy family life.
i did think this, but i dont really know too much about dogs (hence me being on here ) i did have a puppy a few years ago BC X GSD (he was stolen ) and he seemed to just settle right in n had no problems wotsoever! but then he had come from a family home... where as this puppy has come from a place that breeds puppies as a business, so hasnt really had any experience with people...
as i mentioned before he is lively and alert, he doest seem "ill" but i spose the same as i would worry about one of my babies, he is just a baby so am a bit anxious lol.
well he is off to see the vet at 10.45 this mornin anyway so im sure they'll tell me if its anythin more sinister...

oh and luthien, thankyou for that link, i think ill deffo get one, especially if it will make him feel a bit more secure i spose people get the wrong idea wen they see a "cage"
xxx
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by loolahoop View Post
where as this puppy has come from a place that breeds puppies as a business, so hasnt really had any experience with people...
Oh dear, do you mean a puppy farmer?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:52 AM
I always crate my puppies for their sake and mine! As long as you introduce it as early as possible and make it a comfortable, secure place for them to sleep and take refuge in they will love it. In fact, three of mine are still crated when I'm not there and they are already in them when I am getting ready to go to work!

I hope the vet puts your mind at rest regarding your puppy. Unfortunately puppies from puppy farms often arrive at their new home with infections of various sorts. I'm just glad yours has found a caring owner!
loolahoop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:57 AM
erm... i dont know sally...
we were lookin for a BC (didnt matter if it was a puppy or not) and come across an advert on a website (maybe preloved..cant remeber - we looked at LOADS!)
it didnt say in the advert that it was a business or anythin, but wen my partner brought him home he sed that the bloke did it as a business n had like outhouse type things wid loadsa puppies in - apparently he was tryna talk him into buyin a cocker spaniel.
does that sound like a puppy farmer? i dont really know wot a puppy farmer is...
shud i not have got my puppy from him? xxx
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »