Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loolahoop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2011, 12:30 PM

When should my puppy eat?

i brought my puppy yesterday (border collie, 11weeks old)
he hasnt eaten since he has been here, although he has had a little drink,
is it jus coz he is gettin used to his new surroundings? when should i start to worry?
xXx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 12:39 PM
What are you offering the pup?
Did the breeder give you some of the food the puppy was used to?
Where are you feeding the dog?
How much are you giving it?

Generally speaking at this age a puppy should be on 4 meals a day, but if the household is very busy etc, the puppy may not yet be relaxed enough to eat.

Feed when and where it is quiet with no disturbance to begin with.
loolahoop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2011, 12:45 PM
thankyou for the quick reply,
yes the breeder did give me some food for him, i actually dont know wot it is as he just gave me some in a plastic bag, and he told me to mix half a cup of food with 1/2 cup of water. i have put his bowls next to where he chose to sleep in the Kitchen. it is a busy household - we are a family of 5, but he does have access to the kitchen where the children do not have access if he needs to get away - although atm he is quite content to be cuddled up with me on the sofa lol

also.. how long do i leave food down for him before it needs to be thrown away?
xXx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 12:50 PM
About 10 mins, never leave food out for a dog as it can cause problems.

So if he is not eating try giving a quarter of a cup with water to begin with.

I tend to feed mine in crates when really tiny so they are completely relaxed.
loolahoop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2011, 03:11 PM
i foned the breeder - he said to leave the food down he'll eat it about 5pm, i said but its been there since this morning, he sed "yeah thats ok, just leave it, he'll eat it" now im not an experienced dog owner, but to me even this didnt sound rite, i wuddnt let my kids eat food thas bin sittin there all day, so i wasnt about to let my pup!!
well i threw it away anyway after reading your reply.
i have just picked my eldest son up from school and pup became v playful, so i made him some more food - nowhere near as much (i tried 1/4 cup like u suggested) and he has eaten some of it - well about half - im assuming same as human babies he will only have a tiny tummy n need small n frequent meals - so atm im happy he has eaten summin
thankyou again for your replies xxx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-03-2011, 03:24 PM
How is your puppy otherwise, apart from not eating, is he lively , bright eyed, inquisitive , checking out his new surroundings, or is he a bit lethargic and looks a bit down in the dumps!

To be honest, I would be a little worried that a puppy I had brought home was refusing food for this length of time.
loolahoop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2011, 04:01 PM
ok, so am needing some urgent-ish advice, after my puppy deciding to eat - he has been sick
generally other than this he seems fine, alert, playful, runnin about, he isnt bloated or anythin and his toilet habits have been fine, so y wud he be sick?

do you think maybe i made his food up wrong? or do you think he just "jiggled" his tummy too much from gettin excited and playing? xxx
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2011, 05:18 PM
I would be worried by now. I have never had a puppy not eat, and as the breeder just gave you some food in a plastic bag not telling you what it was, how are you going to buy some more of the same?

Puppies of that age need four meals a day, I feed two meat meals, one eggy meal ie: scrambled egg, and one milky meal like weetabix with goats milk.

Definitely time for a vet visit.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Definitely take him to the vet.

If he manages to eat anything in the meantime, make sure he isn't bouncing around just before or after. If he has a crate maybe pop him in for a while to give it time to digest.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Did you bring him home in a car? he could be feeling sick from that - but I`d be worried about the vomiting. Does he seem off colour? Is he drinking?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »