Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 08:55 AM

RSPCA reaction to my call.

The other day I had just got out of the shower when Lily barked at the window. I looked out to see this teenager walking past with 2 collie X dogs. They were both pulling like crazy and he was struggling to hold them. I watched, only because Lily was woofing at them and then saw the kid yank one of the dogs really hard, hard enough to make the dog sit down. They were partly hidden by a tree so I'm not sure what happened but the dog moved suddenly. Now I didn't see him kick it but something made that dog move. He then yanked the lead violently again and I saw the dog sit, with his ears back looking worried.

The kid then bent down and appeared to shout at the dog and then continued walking. I waited for them to reappear and when they did, the dogs were walking beside him. This worried me as he had only been gone 5 minutes max, so it wasn't as if the dogs were tired. I was about to go over to the house as I know of the family but I decided to ring the RSPCA. They took all the details and said they would pass it on to the local officer. 2 days later I was out with the dogs when my daughter rang and said they had called as they'd visited the boy's house but it seemed I'd given them the wrong house number. I double checked and I had So I called back and gave them the correct one.

Yesterday an officer rang me and said they had visited the house and spoken with the mother who was horrified. She said her daughter normally walks the dogs one at a time because they do pull. I have seen her do this and she has never given me any cause for concern. The mother said her son would not be walking the dogs at all now and she would deal with him.

I know of the family and I was pretty sure the mother would have been very upset at this. I was torn between going over myself as sometimes people don't react the way you expect but I wanted the son to realise people do notice things and respond to them. Maybe he will think twice about treating the dogs like that in the future.

I know this isn't the worst cruelty case ever but my feeling was this boy needed telling now his actions were unacceptable and quite possibly I'd have received a mouthful if I'd done it myself. This doesn't bother me but it wouldn't help the dogs. I was impressed with how quickly the RSPCA reacted and that they came out.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 09:37 AM
That's good to hear a positive story about the RSPCA.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 10:06 AM
How old is the boy - he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place imo.

A boy down the road from me who is 11 has to walk their 6 month old rottie because no-one else does, the dog nearly pulls him over and its not fully grown yet, not fair on the boy at all to have to have that resonsibility.

I would have talked to them first before calling the RSPCA.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Im glad they did actually do something about your call. I would have done the same. After my recent run in with the boy that hit his husky, I think he would have taken more notice of the RSPCA than he did of me (although he wont be crossing my path again in a hurry!) Sometimes all it takes is for someone official to have a word. It sounds like the mother is taking the matter seriously which is half the battle. I think calling them first and not talking to the family was the right thing to do. If we saw someone beating a child, we wouldnt think twice about calling the authoroties so why should an animal be different.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Glad you had a positive response, I have when I have dealt with them, but I know the Inspectors so thats an obvious for me when I have rang I know some have rang and heard nothing

Our Bruce would pull if someone else walked him, thats why I never let our FS take Bruce's lead
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Well done you. I must admit being an interfering moo and if I see a child mistreating a dog I do say something. I find kids are usually just out if their depth and don`t know what to do, so are grateful for advice. Most children are not deliberately nasty-they just need guidance.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
That's good to hear a positive story about the RSPCA.
I was very impressed with how quickly they dealt with my call.

Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
How old is the boy - he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place imo.

A boy down the road from me who is 11 has to walk their 6 month old rottie because no-one else does, the dog nearly pulls him over and its not fully grown yet, not fair on the boy at all to have to have that resonsibility.

I would have talked to them first before calling the RSPCA.
Looked about 16ish. I agree he shouldn't and apparently the mother was very angry that he had taken them out together. I thought about it but like I said, sometimes the reactions aren't brilliant and my first concern here was for the dog. Kids don't get enough official intervention in my opinion and I think the officer visiting will have carried more weight than some cranky neighbour who came over to complain.

Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Im glad they did actually do something about your call. I would have done the same. After my recent run in with the boy that hit his husky, I think he would have taken more notice of the RSPCA than he did of me (although he wont be crossing my path again in a hurry!) Sometimes all it takes is for someone official to have a word. It sounds like the mother is taking the matter seriously which is half the battle. I think calling them first and not talking to the family was the right thing to do. If we saw someone beating a child, we wouldnt think twice about calling the authoroties so why should an animal be different.
It's such a hard one isn't it. Had I been out on the street I would have said something too, and reacted just the same way you did but it's so hard to stay calm and rational in that situation. Plus I figured, as I know the address, once a complaint has been made any future ones will be tagged on. Hopefully it won't come to that though. I know of the mother through work, I can't say more than that on here, but I know she is a caring person. She would have been horrified that someone felt the need to ring the RSPCA and that like you say, would carry more weight and hopefully go towards preventing any further issues. xxx

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Glad you had a positive response, I have when I have dealt with them, but I know the Inspectors so thats an obvious for me when I have rang I know some have rang and heard nothing

Our Bruce would pull if someone else walked him, thats why I never let our FS take Bruce's lead
It's good to get that and obviously will spur me on if I need to do it again. Dylan is a puller too so I never let my kids walk him either. xx

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Well done you. I must admit being an interfering moo and if I see a child mistreating a dog I do say something. I find kids are usually just out if their depth and don`t know what to do, so are grateful for advice. Most children are not deliberately nasty-they just need guidance.
I agree Claire. Although this kid was totally out of order in what he did, I couldn't help but feel that if he was told now it was unacceptable, then just maybe, he would take notice. Like you, I think we need to keep some faith in the fact not all teenagers are little wotsits.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Well done - a positive result all round - I'm glad to hear that the mother has taken it seriously.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Well done - a positive result all round - I'm glad to hear that the mother has taken it seriously.
It's good to hear isn't it!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
well done and its great to hear something good about the RSPCA as they are usually getting slated!