View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

29-06-2009, 04:28 PM
The odds on are that Britain is in for a scorching summer!

"Britain odds on for summer scorcherBritain odds on for summer scorcher

pa.press.net
A bookmaker has cut the odds on record-breaking temperatures as Britain prepared for a heatwave.
Ladbrokes reduced the odds of the mercury rising above the highest temperature ever recorded in the UK from 8/1 to 7/1.
Thermometers reached 38.5C (101.3F) in Kent in 2003, but the figure could be beaten this year.
Spokesman Robin Hutchison said: "If the forecasters are to be believed the thermometer could hit treble figures more times than England's batsman this summer."
He added: "A nationwide gamble could seriously burn the bookies and see profits evaporate overnight."
The Met Office has issued a "heat health" warning for next week, with night time temperatures in some areas due to remain as high as 18C (64.4F). It is expecting some of the hottest days of the summer so far and said there is a 60% chance of temperatures reaching 32C (89.6F).
The Department of Health said the elderly and young children were most at risk from heat stroke in hot weather. It advised staying out of the sun, avoiding going out in the hottest part of the day and strenuous activities, and drinking plenty of water.
Rachel Vince, forecaster for Meteogroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said the warm weather would last until Wednesday and beyond.
She said: "It continues through the first half of the week, very warm and very muggy. We might see temperatures picking up to 30C by Wednesday. It's not going to be wall to wall sunshine, showers will break out in the afternoon.
"The most prone areas are through the central part of the country, as showers develop over land at this time of the year. But most parts of the UK will see some sunshine." "
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=Moobli;1722003]
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
No thanks! I could be a possibility by the end of this week though for us!!! I'm dreading it!

I've got a 7 1/2 month old puppy here who's lying in her bed sleeping when she should be out running, but I just can't risk it, coz even though I know of some lovely woods, the car is stinking hot sitting out on the driveway to get her there! She can't understand why she can't even go out in her lovely garden, she's confined to the decking out the back with her pool under the blind There are times when I wished I lived up in Scotland ya know![/QUOTE]

LOL - we get it hot up here too you know

Lol! Yes, I know, but 25 is lovely, whereas 30 is pretty horrendous, even that little 5deg difference when going up can make a difference between a lovely sunny day, to a stinking hot Godawful one, even at night, and I really hate it, but then Dave has just told me about those horrible big mosquitoes you get up there, he said they're as big as you get in Africa, so I'm now thinking more around the Cumbria district! Lol! I can dream Kirsty

I just hit on an idea and took Zena out on a lovely road walk which is covered in trees, lovely breeze, totally in the shade and this is the very first time we have ever walked side by side onlead on a road, (a very quiet road, only goes up to a beauty spot) and it was FAB! We came home, I hosed her down and threw her in her pool and now she's, cool, calm, and chilled, one very happy doglet. Poor old Georgie, he's only got the pool to step in and out of, but he's happy with that, he's not panting now, air con is on full!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 06:40 PM
We change both our feeding and walking regime in the summer. Normally ours will be fed at 7:30 and 22:00, with a mid morning walk and an evening walk (depending on shift work). In the summer they are walked at 6:30 (or earlier depending on the heat) and after 21:00 (again depending on the heat, the last two nights we have started our walk at almost 22:00). They are now being fed at 10:00 and 19:00.
tiggletoggs
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Yes me too i tend not to take mine out when it is very hot, they are happy to lounge around the garden, in the shade.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7