View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 06:43 AM
Leon is still insisting on 4-5 walks a day..although I have cut them down to about 1/2 mile rather thasn the longer ones we were doing, but he also decides when he's had enough, like this morning, we just took a slow walk towards the woody lane, he did what he needed to do and then just stopped and stared at me...thats my message that he wants to go back home. If its really hot I can manage to pacify him with a 5 minute stretch of his legs just to relieve himself and then straight back home and under the fan.

We are lucky that where we live there are a lot of tree-lined pathways that are usually quite overgrown and therefore offer a lot of shade so I normally head for them when its hot. Its a bit like that at the unit too so the only time he experiences the real heat is walking across the car-park towards the redway.

When its really hot I don't disturb him if he's resting but he's like an alarm clock, whatever the weather, at midday, then again at 4 p.m. he's got his tiger and is running about grring to let me know he wants to go for a walk, the garden isn't enough for him, he spends a lot of time laying out there but doesn't ever go to the toilet out there

His appetite is never affected by the heat either!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 08:15 AM
These 2 don't seem to mind the heat! however having said that I have changed the morning walk...we don't do one. I can't get out before 9 as I have to wait for son's transport.
Evening walk is usually about 6.30 till 7.30 they do most of their big walks at the weekend when Chris is off and we have more time to take them further afield.

If the temp is going to rise like it's forecast then it will be a late walk bout 9 ish, not for their sakes but mine!!! I have noticed that when the come in they recover very quickly...must be a BC thing

Elaine x
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Mo goes out early in the morning and again after dark.
We play it by ear the length of time depending on the heat and how lively she seems.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 08:37 AM
We still have the run before breakfast but just a short lead walk to keep them happy in the middle of the day and then a good run at night.
Feeding doesn't change much but tea is a bit later because I don't like them to eat before exercise.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Hi,

Mine usually get a walk every 12 hours or so on the street of about 30 minutes each. Then I'd take them at leasyt once, spometimes twice to the park in the daytime for up to a max of 4 hours in total - depends on what I'm doing really.

When it's hot like today, I take them out with Oscar VERY early (for us) at about 6am. Then the evening walk is pushed back a couple of hours to about 9-10pm.

I have a general rule that if it's going to be more than 22 degreea, I don't take them to the park. There';s no water there for them, I can't carry enough for them in the car for dinks and I don't want dead dogs.

I have thuogh taken them to Kingsbury Water Park where they spend ALL of their time in the water. The love it, it cools them down and weeears them out. It also means the car gets stinky but who cares?!

Zane and Ellie eat less too in the hot weather. I cut their food down by about half in the summer because they just don't eat it. As their exercise de reases a bit also they don't lose much weight either - maybe just a bit.

Yiannis on the other hand is a ganet and will eat anything at any time of day. He used to eat as quickly as possible but he's learned that nobody is going to take his food away (although I can if I need to) and he'll always have enough to eat - so he's slowed down a bit now.

Thinking about it - I may take them up to Kingsbury today. Not been for a while and I know it's gonna be a scorcher. Just hope I don't get lost and forget where I've parked the car.

Laura xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Went out at my usual 7 am. this morning and there was nobody about Mine was the only car in the car park and yet normally there's about 10 cars and lots of dogs, so I'm assuming they all got out early, and I'm going to do the same tomorrow coz it was blooming terrible this morning, so we couldn't go far and came back through the shade and then straight in the pool. This weather is getting ridiculous down on the South coast it's well into the 30's even now, and by Thursday they're giving us a red alert for the sun and heat that's expected by then Ridiculous weather! Thank goodness we have the pools front and back and the air con overnight otherwise we couldn't even sleep it's so hot and sticky! Grrrr, roll on Autumn I hate this over 30 business!
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Super early in the morning before my eyes are usually open or last thing at night when they want to shut again

I reduce their free running in the garden too. Definately a case of 'mummy knows best'. Left to their own devices they would run till they dropped. Isaac only has one speed setting -FULL speed

Hope everyone is well.

Seoniad.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 10:57 AM
It's cool and overcast here today - that's the good thing about living in the north-east.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 11:17 AM
My mum was saying that she saw so many dogs at a car boot sale on Sunday in the heat (lunchtime) and they were all suffering, but none of the owners seemed worried. I just dont get people i really dont!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
My mum was saying that she saw so many dogs at a car boot sale on Sunday in the heat (lunchtime) and they were all suffering, but none of the owners seemed worried. I just dont get people i really dont!
Good isn't it...the humans are in hats, t-shirts and flip-flops while the poor dog in a fur coat is dragged around.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >