View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Selkie goes down to one walk a week if she feels like it, she's too old and has too much fur to risk her in this heat at all and her eyesight is too bad for a night walk. We wait for a cool or cloudy day for Selkie.

Kismet has been overdoing it... so I have stopped her morning walks and replaced with morning training. We normally went out at 6am, but it's too hot even then for her and she's puffing and blowing from being a silly beggar on the lead (she wants to pull the bike in the morning). So we are doing lead training and obedience in the garden and round the block instead.

Our main walk of the day then is now at about 7-8pm with dinner after they have cooled down, or if the day looks like it's not going to cool, I'll feed them at 5pm then walk at 8....

But it's a juggle.. Roll on Autumn!

Oh and local fields are full of idiots with aggressive off lead dogs, so having to go further afield for sensible walks. Grrr
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 04:11 PM
ours are going out early mornings(5/6am) & late in the evenings about (9pm) just walks @ present. Our pup is not too interested in her food either in this hot weather, she usually gannets her food down.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Same early morning walk as normal 7.00 am. but no playing or running around with other dogs. Home in the garden in the pool, then back indoors for a nap before breakfast, which usually comes a bit later now because of the pool playing. NO late morning walk now, maybe a little play indoors or in the garden if it's clouded over but only for 5 mins or so before lunch. Long sleep in the afternoon, then NO 5pm walk it's still far too hot down here, we've reached 30 deg today Another play outside in the pool whilst I water the garden coz the sun went in, otherwise she would not have been allowed out there so early. Dinner as normal, then at 7pm if I don't take her out, they play out in the garden coz it's gone nice and shady. My dogs have thick furry coats, so it's unthinkable to take them out in the heat of the day, and even in the evening, that sun is still very hot even at 9pm down south, so she'll just have to go without until the weather cools down, I can't risk it, it's lethal down here atm and going to get much worse next week for us. They still eat, but then we've now got the air con going indoors, so everything's normal for them, no panting, no huffing and puffing, just lots of sleeping!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 04:16 PM
I agree with you Helena! If the garden thermometer hasn't dropped below 19 by 9pm, then I only take Kismet out and again on the lead.. She thinks she can do so much more. But I'm not going to risk her overheating. Some days it's just too hot.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I am taking Milo and Shady out between 6 and 7am at the moment.
I am trying to get them out again about 6.30 but because I have to take Shady somewhere in the car (too many kids for her to eat round here) and no shade in my driveway last couple of nights its been too hot to get them out again still as my car is like an oven and the air con has had it.
They don't like it not getting thier second walk but at least they get out once a day.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Funny how they seem to accept it too isn't it? I've got one sleeping puppy in her bed next to me, she's eaten an hour ago and would be expecting to go out in the garden at this time of day, but she's more than happy to be quiet, which has quite surprised me really, especially as she's nice and wet and cool and doesn't realise why I won't let her out there!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 04:37 PM
I take mine out very early in the morning when it's hot .
If it's hot when it's time for the afternoon walk I have a place I can take them where there are lots of trees so we are in the shade all the time . Even though we are in the shade I only give them a short walk .
Feeding is after the walks and if they don't eat in the afternoon they get the food down again in the evening
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2009, 04:46 PM
I don't change her feeding times and she's always enthusiastic about her grub regardless of how hot it is.

Her main walk of the day is usually 11.30 because we meet up with another dog walking friend who's a real stickler for going at a set time. I don't take her at that time though if it's hot and humid and go earlier in the day and then later in the evenings.

Maggie's good at telling us when she's has enough (which doesn't take long in this heat) and starts plodding at which time we call it a day.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi I usually walk Kym after i've dropped the kids off at school for an hour then again in the evening for an hour.

For the last few days i have just been doing an evening walk when its cooler but last night we went walking in the woods and i got bitten to death !

I've been feeding her as usual - mornings and late afternoon.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 05:26 PM
When it`s hot we avoid going out in the middle of the day, and get the train to the Marshes, where there`s lots of water for them to splosh in, plus a hosepipe at the Marina for drinks on the way. Or if the tide`s in we go to the beach. I suppose we`re spoiled, really.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »