Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
When I asked Geoff Stein, DVM, he wrote: "The problem with these 'natural' diets is the misguided assumption that 'natural' is better. It's 'natural' for wolves to die of salmonella once in awhile." He added that wolves would probably be healthier if they ate cooked meat.
Who is Geoff Stein? What studies has he done into canine nutrition? I'd be quite interested to read the work of someone who believes wolves should be cooking their meat
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Who is Geoff Stein? What studies has he done into canine nutrition? I'd be quite interested to read the work of someone who believes wolves should be cooking their meat
I was also told that canines stomach acid being strong enough to break down bone is also strong enough to kill off Salmonella and only leave traces in the faeces... Anyone confirm if this is true?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
I was also told that canines stomach acid being strong enough to break down bone is also strong enough to kill off Salmonella and only leave traces in the faeces... Anyone confirm if this is true?
Not by quoting a scientific paper Navajo, no, but I will ask OH when he wakes ! I have been told by my vet though that dogs (and wolves of course) will tolerate HUGE levels of salmonella, but that those traces left in the faeces can be a danger to anybody or anything who touched that faeces and ingested it. Another reason for poo picking after our dogs !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Yes, this is true. Just like with horses, there are always low levels of parasites and bacteria in our dogs' intestines. For instance, the only dogs who would have zero worms in their intestines would be lab dogs. All pet dogs, however zealous our worming routine, will have low levels of parasites, this is perfectly normal and will cause the dog no harm. Campylobacter, for instance, is always present in low levels in the dog's stomach, and certainly if you feed raw chicken, as we do, there will be salmonella. But all at safe levels, and yes, traces of these will be in the faeces, which is why we all pick up after our dogs and do not allow our children to come into contact with the stuff.

Hope this helps.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Dogs don't have the ability to kill all bacteria from raw food, some times what happens when feeding raw is a back up of bacteria builds up in the intestine...which can and does cause problems with some dogs
This doesn't make sense Inliveeva ! Where exactly in the intestine? The dog is very well provided with strong enough stomach acid to break down bone. No healthy dog will have any problem at all to kill the bacteria found in raw food. I have been feeding raw for 6 or so years, and never ever had a problem, it is the best and most natural way to feed a dog IMO.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 09:59 AM
I've read several studies showing that raw fed dogs have salmonella in the faeces, but I don't know if commercial fed dogs have been tested.

I have been feeding raw (including raw chicken and pork) for nearly 2 years now and have never had a problem with salmonella either with my family or with my dog.

So from what I've experienced myself, salmonella is not a problem. I think it could be in a very sick dog though.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Agreed. With a dog with a compromised immune system, it could be a problem. It's all a matter of commonsense.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes some raw fed dogs have samonella in their poop. As do some commercially fed dogs. As do some humans. (All perfect picutes of health.)

There is alot worse stuff out there that your dog is sticking it's nose into, sniffing, tasting and eating than some raw meat and bones, trust me.

Moral of the story? Wash your hands before putting them in your mouth if you have been handling poop. And always pick up after your dogs, raw or kibble fed!!!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Gnasher - Im on the nothants/leics border so will have a look at DAF and add my name to the 'interested'. I have a price list from TPMS if you are interested? They deliver once a week to our area but its a 140lb of meat or £40 minimum order.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 02:32 PM
I'll PM you my email address Dobermonkey, thank you v much.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >