View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 12:57 PM

Acts of stupidity - Do some people just not think?

Today I was at the pet shop with Molly and a lady with a little Yorkie pulled up into the car park. The dog was on an unlocked flexi lead and was running all over the place. The owner wasn't paying any attention at all and was talking to her friend while her dog was running amok in a busy car park right next to a very busy main road. Not only that but she dropped the lead on numerous occasions and didn't even bother to pick it up in a hurry. Then she kept shouting at the dog because it was running off

I couldn't believe it, it was like her brain just wasn't engaged at all How can anyone be so oblivious when their dog's life is potentially at stake?

Anyway What acts of sheer stupidity have you seen recently?
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I was walking round our local fields the other week with my dog. There was a woman with a Cairn terrier who put hers on the lead when she saw mine (he was offlead). I didnt put mine on lead as he has no interest in other dogs, will give them a wide birth even if they react to him.

Anyway this woman started talking to me and first she called my dog a greyhound, as you can see by the pic hes a border collie and then she asked me if he was male to which I replied yes. She then proceeded to take her dog off the lead while saying ' oh mines female so they wont fight them'

Hmmmm because males and females never fight do they?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
Today I was at the pet shop with Molly and a lady with a little Yorkie pulled up into the car park. The dog was on an unlocked flexi lead and was running all over the place. The owner wasn't paying any attention at all and was talking to her friend while her dog was running amok in a busy car park right next to a very busy main road. Not only that but she dropped the lead on numerous occasions and didn't even bother to pick it up in a hurry. Then she kept shouting at the dog because it was running off

I couldn't believe it, it was like her brain just wasn't engaged at all How can anyone be so oblivious when their dog's life is potentially at stake?

Anyway What acts of sheer stupidity have you seen recently?
As I've said a million times, people are thick!!

As for acts of stupidity, this Saturday when I was at work, I noticed two Jack Russells running loose in the shop. We don't technically allow dogs in, but tend to overlook it if they are being carried and/or being well behaved on a lead. So, I was a bit baffled at these two dogs darting past me out of the blue. Woman then comes storming along bellowing at these dogs to "GET ERE'!!". Her bellowing was then followed by a bit of ranting to the man she was with "bladdy dogs, never bladdy listening, STAY ERE'!!". While she was ranting, one of the dogs starts to cock its leg up our sacks of wild bird seed, while the other does a poo on the floor. This was all in the space of about 30 seconds. Luckily another member of staff was closer to me, pointed out the turd on the floor that this dog had just produced, and asked the woman to get her dogs under control or leave them outside.

Owners like THAT are the exact reason dogs are not often welcomed in public places.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by dog_geek View Post
I was walking round our local fields the other week with my dog. There was a woman with a Cairn terrier who put hers on the lead when she saw mine (he was offlead). I didnt put mine on lead as he has no interest in other dogs, will give them a wide birth even if they react to him.

Anyway this woman started talking to me and first she called my dog a greyhound, as you can see by the pic hes a border collie and then she asked me if he was male to which I replied yes. She then proceeded to take her dog off the lead while saying ' oh mines female so they wont fight them'

Hmmmm because males and females never fight do they?
Sounds like she's been told that old wives' tale and hasn't actually thought about it in great detail! It's like when people insist that all bitches have to have a litter, they don't think about what they're saying they're just spouting whatever rubbish they've been told!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
As I've said a million times, people are thick!!

As for acts of stupidity, this Saturday when I was at work, I noticed two Jack Russells running loose in the shop. We don't technically allow dogs in, but tend to overlook it if they are being carried and/or being well behaved on a lead. So, I was a bit baffled at these two dogs darting past me out of the blue. Woman then comes storming along bellowing at these dogs to "GET ERE'!!". Her bellowing was then followed by a bit of ranting to the man she was with "bladdy dogs, never bladdy listening, STAY ERE'!!". While she was ranting, one of the dogs starts to cock its leg up our sacks of wild bird seed, while the other does a poo on the floor. This was all in the space of about 30 seconds. Luckily another member of staff was closer to me, pointed out the turd on the floor that this dog had just produced, and asked the woman to get her dogs under control or leave them outside.

Owners like THAT are the exact reason dogs are not often welcomed in public places.
Agreed, people like that give dog owners a bad name Cannot believe all that havoc was caused in such a short space of time, it's unbelievable! And then to just shpout at the dogs instead of actually get them under control
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Clients arrive at the surgery and either the door flies open, ricochets off the wall and in tanks a dog not on lead...or the dog is in the surgery on the end of a flexi lead causing havoc and the owner is still outside...

If you know your dog wants to scent mark all over the surgery, DON'T let him up to walls, food bags, foodvsamples, plants etc - if you know he HATES cats...dont allow him to stick his face in the basket - if you know he hates vets and will bite - tell us before we touch him...

I'll stop now...
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Theres a small gap in my back fence, enough to get just past your wrist through. I suppose I should have blocked it off but the house next door has been empty for ages so I forgot thought nothing of it. The other week I heard "awwwwww" and seen some hands coming through the fence stroking my staffy (the new neighbours). Good job she's a useless guard dog but IMHO that was a bit stupid of them she could have had those hands off if she was that way inclines. My heart did skip a beat at the possibility.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
Clients arrive at the surgery and either the door flies open, ricochets off the wall and in tanks a dog not on lead...or the dog is in the surgery on the end of a flexi lead causing havoc and the owner is still outside...

If you know your dog wants to scent mark all over the surgery, DON'T let him up to walls, food bags, foodvsamples, plants etc - if you know he HATES cats...dont allow him to stick his face in the basket - if you know he hates vets and will bite - tell us before we touch him...

I'll stop now...
Can't believe people would be so mindless as to allow their dog to wander around a vet's surgery without a lead or without the lead on lock! You must get incredibly frustrated.

Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Theres a small gap in my back fence, enough to get just past your wrist through. I suppose I should have blocked it off but the house next door has been empty for ages so I forgot thought nothing of it. The other week I heard "awwwwww" and seen some hands coming through the fence stroking my staffy (the new neighbours). Good job she's a useless guard dog but IMHO that was a bit stupid of them she could have had those hands off if she was that way inclines. My heart did skip a beat at the possibility.
Yes, very lucky for your new neighbours that your dog is friendly! Sometimes people just don't seem to consider that dogs might not want to be stroked..
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 03:35 PM
This may be a bit off-topic, but I thought this was very odd!!

At the dog park I frequent, a woman proclaimed the cuteness of my two puppies and proceeded to kneel down and pick one of them up. She practically chucked him to the ground though when she realised he was wet and covered in sand, then berated me for having them off the lead??? WTF lady I never asked you to pick them up? Apperently I'm liable for her dry cleaning bill now *eyeroll*
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
This may be a bit off-topic, but I thought this was very odd!!

At the dog park I frequent, a woman proclaimed the cuteness of my two puppies and proceeded to kneel down and pick one of them up. She practically chucked him to the ground though when she realised he was wet and covered in sand, then berated me for having them off the lead??? WTF lady I never asked you to pick them up? Apperently I'm liable for her dry cleaning bill now *eyeroll*
God help us all
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >