Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Summerbanks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2011, 08:34 AM

Worms

Hi All

my 3 month old boxer was sick last night and one of the piles contained worms. She was wormed 2 weeks ago when she had her first vaccination, she is due for her second on Thursday.

My question is - is it normal for the worms to be alive after being treated for them?
Her breeder wormed the pups every 2 weeks prior to me having her at 12 weeks and her first lot due with me coincided with her vaccination.

She doesnt and never has had a bloated belly.
Summerbanks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2011, 10:30 AM
ok having just read through some other posts on here relating to worms, it seems that the advocate that the Vet gave me for Summer doesnt cover all worms?
I think I now need to get her something else that covers those that the Advocate doesnt.

You would think that the vets would tell you that you need to use other wormers too and let you know which are ok to use alongside the Advocate!

With my previous dogs we always got the worming products from the vets and they treated them fine and we never had worming issues.

I am just really concerned that the little thin white things in her sick last night were moving!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Summerbanks View Post
Hi All

my 3 month old boxer was sick last night and one of the piles contained worms. She was wormed 2 weeks ago when she had her first vaccination, she is due for her second on Thursday.

My question is - is it normal for the worms to be alive after being treated for them?
Her breeder wormed the pups every 2 weeks prior to me having her at 12 weeks and her first lot due with me coincided with her vaccination.

She doesnt and never has had a bloated belly.
Wouldn't have thought they were alive, Summerbanks? My old boy Hal did a similar thing at about the same age - he sicked up a huge boletus of worms, but they were dead. I unravelled them all, and one was about a foot long, I thought it was a tape worm, but the vet identified it as something else, can't remember what now. We discovered that his breeder had used homeopathic wormer, rather than something like Drontal or Panacur, and I can confirm that homeopathic wormer definitely does not work!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:15 AM
most common worm in pups is roundworm they get it from their mothers milk,advocate covers these..i think u will find your pup has a heavy worm burden..pups have to be wormed once a month til 6months to cover all stages of the worm cycle.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
most common worm in pups is roundworm they get it from their mothers milk,advocate covers these..i think u will find your pup has a heavy worm burden..pups have to be wormed once a month til 6months to cover all stages of the worm cycle.
that's the one, round worms. I didn't know they could grow that long, and was convinced poor Hal was infested with tape worms, but luckily not.
Summerbanks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:21 AM
they were definitely alive and moving there were only a couple there. My OH shone the torch on his phone as I needed to walk around the bed to turn on the light and didnt want the squelch between the toes moment

My OH is a bit of an OCD hygiene freak and told his son (who is 10 and lives with us) that he must wash his hands and not to let Summer lick his face and she was sick last night and there were live worms in it - When his son came in to see the dogs this morning he wouldnt play with Summer so I had a go at my OH for being so neurotic and scaring his son! Summer adores his son and he her, and they always play in the morning so she was very confused this morning when he wouldnt
Like any responsible parents, we have always told the kids to wash their hands after playing with the dogs and not to let them lick their mouths if possible so telling him about the worms was just silly!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:22 AM
My dogs are treated with Advocate but I give Drontal to treat for the last few worm types that Advocate doesn't cover
Summerbanks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
My dogs are treated with Advocate but I give Drontal to treat for the last few worm types that Advocate doesn't cover
thank you, I will insist on some of that from the vets on Thursday as well then!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:29 AM
thank you, I will insist on some of that from the vets on Thursday as well then!
to be fair..they will most prob still be roundworm!... tapeworm is rarely a prob in pups unless its riddled in fleas or fed raw!

you will find the advocate was doing its job and dislodged the worm burden so some of the adults were vomited...u just need to stick to the once monthly routine for the reason i stated in my post.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:38 AM
they were definitely alive and moving there were only a couple there. My OH shone the torch on his phone as I needed to walk around the bed to turn on the light and didnt want the squelch between the toes moment

My OH is a bit of an OCD hygiene freak and told his son (who is 10 and lives with us) that he must wash his hands and not to let Summer lick his face and she was sick last night and there were live worms in it - When his son came in to see the dogs this morning he wouldnt play with Summer so I had a go at my OH for being so neurotic and scaring his son! Summer adores his son and he her, and they always play in the morning so she was very confused this morning when he wouldnt
Like any responsible parents, we have always told the kids to wash their hands after playing with the dogs and not to let them lick their mouths if possible so telling him about the worms was just silly!
O Lord! I have never known dogs sick up live worms, I don't know Advocate, we always used to use Drontal and now we use Panacur, which cover all worms, the latter including lung worm and Giardia as well. I would get yourself down to your nearest Pets at Home or Pet City, or reputable pet shop that sell "prescription" wormers and get some Panacur if I were you.

Sounds sensible advice re your kids - you don't want them to be phobic, but they do need to be careful. It isn't that easy for dogs to transmit worms to children, but if they have just been licking their btm's and have picked up worm eggs, there is a remote chance they can transfer these to a child, who could ingest the eggs and the eggs will hatch in their gut. I had roundworms as a child apparently from eating dog poo - doesn't bear thinking about really
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >