View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 05:12 PM
on our 3rd focus estate here and only ever had to fork out on wear and tear, the last one had done 140k and i still see it kicking around
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 06:27 PM
My first co car was a FF Estate, very good, did 115k miles on it, not one ounce of trouble.

I have had an Vauxhall Astra Estate, loved it BUT, you have to check the engines, they used to have a choice o two, one was an ISUZU and they had lots of trouble with the head gasket going and cooling systems I found out after speaking to a fair few garages.

No experience of the hatchback however, far too small for my two dogs.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
My first co car was a FF Estate, very good, did 115k miles on it, not one ounce of trouble.

I have had an Vauxhall Astra Estate, loved it BUT, you have to check the engines, they used to have a choice o two, one was an ISUZU and they had lots of trouble with the head gasket going and cooling systems I found out after speaking to a fair few garages.
No experience of the hatchback however, far too small for my two dogs.
According to my husband the Isuzu is actually the BEST one of the two (which is a diesel engine!). The Vauxhall diesel engine actually suffer with metal fatigue which people TAKE as a head gasket, but it isn't, it's the head that actually goes!

Mine (apart from one) have always been the petrol versions. At the moment I have the biggest engine (which nobody wants!) but it's very nippy and very reliable.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
According to my husband the Isuzu is actually the BEST one of the two (which is a diesel engine!). The Vauxhall diesel engine actually suffer with metal fatigue which people TAKE as a head gasket, but it isn't, it's the head that actually goes!

Mine (apart from one) have always been the petrol versions. At the moment I have the biggest engine (which nobody wants!) but it's very nippy and very reliable.

I have no idea WHICH of the two diesel engines it was that was the issue (read back post, I was not clear) but I know that the Asta I had its head gasket went, (or at least that is what the garage said; on a need to know basis I just knew that it had gone up the spout) and before that I had identified the issue with the temperature guage several times and was poo poohed before it went in the middle of nowhere in Dorset!

I do know that a lot of people had issues with the Astra Estate in that area it was all over various internet sites etc for a while, this was back in early 90s
mad4jacks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2011, 10:27 PM
I have a 04 ford focus. She has done over 112k. Diesel. Very nice. Ar even thoe I moan I need a bigger one for all the horse gear. Nice car the only problem I have had is the fly wheel that's attached to the clutch, but I can say that's prob wear and tear".......

Have you noticed how many there are around since you have one...... Lol
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks everyone for you help.
OH and I have pretty much agreed that an estate would be better for me, as I have the dogs to think about!

Iv seen a astra estate 2006..but its a 1.3 engine?! is that right?? the insurance is okay, slightly better than the focus, but the cars are same age and about same price.

I do really like the look of the astra estate.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi Kate, just asked Dave for you and he said he would have thought for that year it would be a 1600?? He said the 1.3's were earlier ones than 2006, so double check the year of that one maybe.

Go for a drive in both, and you'll see which one you like the feel of best is my advice. I just love the Astras though coz they're so "flingable", so easy to drive, nothing's heavy even though it's a big, solid car to fling around, it feels very compact and fits around you lol! My poor dogs, but they're used to it!!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks Helena54.
Im looking on autotrader and there are 1.3s in 2006. My main thought was could a 1.3 pull a car of that size?!! lol

Im moving more towards the astra now I must say lol
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Thanks Helena54.
Im looking on autotrader and there are 1.3s in 2006. My main thought was could a 1.3 pull a car of that size?!! lol

Im moving more towards the astra now I must say lol
He just told me that my first one was only a 1.3 (I know it as my red one lol!) and that was ok as far back as I can remember about it, but he said you'd be much better off with the 1600 still! I'm taking mine on a 1 1/2 hour journey tomorrow with Zena in the back, never ventured that far in my dogmobile but being an Astra, I'm sure she'll get us there......and back on Friday hopefully!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
He just told me that my first one was only a 1.3 (I know it as my red one lol!) and that was ok as far back as I can remember about it, but he said you'd be much better off with the 1600 still! I'm taking mine on a 1 1/2 hour journey tomorrow with Zena in the back, never ventured that far in my dogmobile but being an Astra, I'm sure she'll get us there......and back on Friday hopefully!
It seems such a small engine for such a big car doesnt it, lol i thought i was reading it wrong when i first saw it!
I think for an extra £100 insurance id rather the larger engine, just to be sure!

Just waiting to sell our old car first and make space for my new one on the driveway lol.

Thanks very much for your help! Astra is ATM top of my list!

Hope you have a nice trip with Zena, going anywhere nice ? x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2