Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 12:40 AM

Whats a stealth keylogger?

Okay I have a stealth keylogger according to spybot search and destroy.....only thng is it can't seem to destroy it.....
I have AVG version 9 but that does not seem to think there is a problem............ So what is it sounds like its something monitoring the computer? and how do I get rid of it....PLEASE
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 08:13 AM
As far as I'm aware, you're right - it basically monitors each key you press, so don't go into anything important with a password for the time being.

I do wonder though whether you do actually have this stealth keylogger or whether the spybot message itself is a malware. This happened to me on thursday night - I suddenly started getting messages that I had allsorts of bad things going on including keylogging. However, my own virus checker (McAfee) hadn't picked up anything. I disconnected from the internet and waited until I could speak to my IT colleagues at work.

Turns out in my case that the messages themselves were malware - annoying instrusions but not destructive or security threatening. IT downloaded afree malware remover software from the internet and that did the trick of removing all the unwanted messages.

I'm afraid I have no idea how you tell for definite with the messages are genuine or malware but it might be worth looking for anti-malware downloads to try. (I think because malware aren't a virus as such, they don't necessary get picked up on your virus scans but the malware software is aimed specifically at them, if that makes sense).

hope you get it sorted
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 08:19 AM
google malware bytes, download it and let it scan your pc for malware.
Do not go on any internet banking/ebay/important sites untill you have the keylogger off your system, as an extra precaution once the keylogger is gone, change all passwords, just incase it's already picked them up off you.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-03-2010, 08:44 AM
When will you all learn that you should use an operating system with better inherent security that doesn't let malware install itself without your knowledge? Is it going to take someone getting their bank account cleared out?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
When will you all learn that you should use an operating system with better inherent security that doesn't let malware install itself without your knowledge? Is it going to take someone getting their bank account cleared out?
You may well be right but some of us don't have a choice as to what operating system we use.

And being Mr Smug hardly helps the OP's current problem does it.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Not really much help to the op there is it...
Taken from a computer site... Although a Macintosh computer is less susceptible to viruses because it is a human who's operating the computer you still can be a victim of Trojan horses, phishing, and other online fraud. If you're a Macintosh user we still recommend keeping informed about how to keep safe while online

So according to that, macs can still cause you to get your bank account cleared
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-03-2010, 09:55 AM
if you have windows vista go to programs list, accessories, ease of use tools, and activate your on screen keyboard.

i still wouldnt usew nay banking etc, but the onscreen keyboard isnt trackable by a keylogger
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
You may well be right but some of us don't have a choice as to what operating system we use.
You all have a choice! I ain't being smug, just annoyed that the choice isn't clear to the majority of people and the monopoly holder in terms of operating systems seems to delight in exploiting that along with malware writing criminals and anti virus companies.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 12:35 PM
You all have a choice! I ain't being smug, just annoyed that the choice isn't clear to the majority of people and the monopoly holder in terms of operating systems seems to delight in exploiting that along with malware writing criminals and anti virus companies.
Those of us who only have work laptops don't; we have to go by what our company want to use.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Kazz, this should get the keylogger off your system, and it's free to download and use.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/malware/A....0-remove.aspx

Hope this helps
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >