View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi. We attended the first "seminar" at the O2 in London last night. As a personality, he attracts adulation and genuine loving support. He was amusing, but to a huge audience of dog lovers/owners, he was a bit "obvious" at times and frankly, the evening was too long. He is not an orator or presenter and obviously missed a production team and editor. If you go, don't expect much practical demonstration (not really possible). We felt, as with any other educational evening, that we took away a few useful points, so therefore worthwhile. We will watch for any other's comments, ours are our own and not a condemnation in any way!
Adrian & Jackie
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Some friends went to see him the other night. They thought he was fab. I think with regards to TV personalities people just see what they want to see.
I doubt very much CM would do anything the least bit 'controversial' at these shows so many people will come away with a good impression of him.

CM will be well aware of the furore caused by animal welfare organisations in this country and the statements they have put out as well as the criticism of his methods emanating from highly regarded trainers and behaviourists in the USA .

He will probably take great care not to put a foot wrong and when it comes to training he may make lots of generalisations focusing on those things he has in common with good trainers, common sense everyday things things like teaching dogs what is required behaviour, the need for exercise and mental stimulation, being calm and quiet when dealing with dogs.

I would look on this tour as a publicity/sales/damage limitation exercises rather than a means of demonstrating his 'training methods'. I would imagine it is difficult to 'demonstrate' very much on a live show anyway where unpredictable animals are involved , unlike television and film you can't edit out unwanted footage.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Mini - the stooge dogs aren`t unpredictable as far as I know. They are well trained dogs, vetted by his team.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by standrewac View Post
Hi. We attended the first "seminar" at the O2 in London last night. As a personality, he attracts adulation and genuine loving support. He was amusing, but to a huge audience of dog lovers/owners, he was a bit "obvious" at times and frankly, the evening was too long. He is not an orator or presenter and obviously missed a production team and editor. If you go, don't expect much practical demonstration (not really possible). We felt, as with any other educational evening, that we took away a few useful points, so therefore worthwhile. We will watch for any other's comments, ours are our own and not a condemnation in any way!
Adrian & Jackie
I went to see him last night, i really enjoyed the night, they had the girl from Britians got talent with her dancing dog and he kind of interviewed the PAT dog ladies about what they do which was nice. I liked the dedication to Daddy in paticular, he came across as very genuine in his love for all animals, he started it with his story of how he bacame the dog whisperer, which i found interesting, all in all it was a good night, topped of with his signature from Ghandi, which he shares with me
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

I would look on this tour as a publicity/sales/damage limitation exercises rather than a means of demonstrating his 'training methods'. I would imagine it is difficult to 'demonstrate' very much on a live show anyway where unpredictable animals are involved , unlike television and film you can't edit out unwanted footage.
There was a funny incident where he was demonstrating with a springer and a bowl of food, waiting for the dog to become calm before feeding it. As Ceaser was talking to the audience, the springer knocked the food bowl and ate the spilled out food, it was very funny and Ceaser found it funny too, he then said this happens all the time and got him to wait nicely and calmly before giving it to him.
It was a nice moment, very real and natural, he showed a real affinity with the dogs.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
There are some fab trainers who do like him - but they havent seen some of his more contraversial methods only the fluffy bits

I was actually asked if I wanted to have one of my dogs on stage with him as an example of a trained dog - err nope unless I can say its an example of a dog trained with the opposite of his method!
It was interesting as he did actually mention the methods that the dogs he used were trained with...seemed to be Clicker.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
It was interesting as he did actually mention the methods that the dogs he used were trained with...seemed to be Clicker.
Maybe he can learn from being over here and working with these dogs
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Maybe he can learn from being over here and working with these dogs
Indeed, he said as much
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I went to see him last night, i really enjoyed the night, they had the girl from Britians got talent with her dancing dog and he kind of interviewed the PAT dog ladies about what they do which was nice. I liked the dedication to Daddy in paticular, he came across as very genuine in his love for all animals, he started it with his story of how he bacame the dog whisperer, which i found interesting, all in all it was a good night, topped of with his signature from Ghandi, which he shares with me
Ditto, I saw him at the Trent FM Arena too and I thoroughly enjoyed the night. I dont think you come away from the evening with lots of good advice about dealing with issues and there was nothing educational about the seminar. I was disappointed with the practical aspect. I wanted to see real examples of poorly behaved dogs and watch how he got them under control but it didnt happen. However, he was hilarious and had the audience in stitches with his observations on how we treat our dogs.

Even if some of his methods are heavy handed and frowned upon, he seemed to be a genuinely nice guy who showed alot of warmth to both people and animals.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Ditto, I saw him at the Trent FM Arena too and I thoroughly enjoyed the night. I dont think you come away from the evening with lots of good advice about dealing with issues and there was nothing educational about the seminar. I was disappointed with the practical aspect. I wanted to see real examples of poorly behaved dogs and watch how he got them under control but it didnt happen. However, he was hilarious and had the audience in stitches with his observations on how we treat our dogs.

Even if some of his methods are heavy handed and frowned upon, he seemed to be a genuinely nice guy who showed alot of warmth to both people and animals.
Not being funny but, you prob didn't see dogs with serious issues, because in order to get them under control, he'd have to employ his how did you put it, heavy handed methods, you know e collars etc, now you may see them as heavy handed, I see them as plain cruel, as would a great deal of the people who went to see him, so naturally, to try to create a good impression, he avoided using his normal tactics. Apparently its worked.

He is a tv personality, so entertaining people, is something I'd expect him to be good at.

He may come across as a nice guy, but as they say, all that glitters ain't gold.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2010, 09:25 AM
I was a little startled that people expected to see him change the behaviour of a challenging dog onstage. It takes months using humane methods... or weeks using cruel ones. Not 20 minutes in a strange place under spotlights with a noisy audience.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »