Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 07:31 PM

Carrying a hind leg

Hi guys,

Archie always carries his right hind leg up when he is going down the stairs. I've never seen him do it at any other time, but always as he goes down the stairs. Is there possibly a medical cause for this, or possibly a habit?

He runs fine on all legs. I'm just curious, not overly conserned. :smt001
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Have you tried rubbing his legs whilst he standing on the stairs it may be the angle he is stood on? If this doesnt affect him then i wouldnt be overly concerned, but i would mention it to the vet at you next check up
ATD xxx
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I think I would have a chat to the vet about it if I were you. It's probably nothing, but better safe than sorry. My mum's pup has major problems with her hip joint, and still uses all four legs when she runs (although she just hangs it while she's standing or walking).
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 09:16 PM
I've had a couple of dogs do this but they have never had any problems with their limbs. I also felt it was that they just found that method easier to get down the stairs! However, better safe than sorry and a quick vet check up would be advisable.
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2007, 09:49 PM
It may be a good idea to se the vet, as it could be nothing to worry about , but it also could be the start of Cruciate Ligament trouble.

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/112...lassifications

you will see many small dogs, JR type who run around on 3 legs, usually favouring a back leg.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2007, 01:09 AM
Is archie a JRT, if so I know many in my agility club that run full courses on three legs. Not a things wrong with them, for some reason they just hold up one hinds leg with they run. They are both the shorter legged variety.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Yes he is a JRT, though probably not a full bred one. :smt001
I have seen lots of little dogs that run like that, with one leg held up. But have never been sure if it was just a habit or an undiagnosed problem. He's fine in every other way and doesn't appear to be in any kind of pain. I will mention it when we next go to the vets though.

Jackbox, the link on your post isn't working, could you post it again for me please, I'd love to take a look. :smt001

Thanks guys!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Just wanted to add, he is one of the longer legged JRT.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Here you go, try this

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=474

if they dont work, jus do a goodle seach for Cruciate Ligamemt in dogs .

the most common reason for little dogs running round on 3 legs is a cruciate ligememt problem they seem to cope with it fine, I have a freind whos JR does the same, his CL has gone, vet says usually unless in pain small dogs cope very well with it, sh had to have her large dog who suffered the same, operated on.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2007, 10:46 AM
My Yorkie runs on 3 legs sometimes - but only if he sees you watching him