Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Methinks he needs a hobby.
Ditto. It seems to be a running theme for this poster.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I have unfortunately heard of cases where dog is shot and you only have the farmers word against the owners.
Yup, which is why the moral of this story is better to be safe than sorry.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Wasn't sure how to take this..............but then I am old and growing grey.
I take it as another of Boxer Boy's attempt at humour which I'm not sure will go down too well.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Personally I think the OP is just trying to wind people up on here. Methinks he needs a hobby.
Yep me too....rather sad really.
Originally Posted by ALexa View Post
I know it isn't always black and white - which is why I am cautious - but it does say

I have unfortunately heard of cases where dog is shot and you only have the farmers word against the owners.

Im also wandering whether ive taken this off topic....sorry . Although not sure what topic the OP intended us to discuss, i think it was the way he handled the dog when presented with a new situation.

Can I also say I know a farmer in Warwickshire who last year shot a dog right under the owners nose......said the sheep were in lamb..... they didn't have a leg to stand on, which is why I said , ours will walk anywhere with no lead, but i wouldn't do that.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:15 PM
how very considerate of you to train your dog with sheep just as lambing is about to start.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I take it as another of Boxer Boy's attempt at humour which I'm not sure will go down too well.
Oh!!!!!!!!! maybe a training course in humour is needed.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:23 PM
PMSL YS
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Hmm not sure what to say really!

It is extremely irresponsible at this time of year (in particular) to walk two dogs off lead through ewes who will either be in lamb or who will have lambs. Just the sight of strange dogs can send a pregnant ewe into a panic, to the point where she may even abort the lamb, or if she has a lamb she will likely run away and leave the lamb, who could then become lost, hungry, cold or even die.

It is great that your dogs are under control around sheep, but probably not worth the risk in future - for the sheep concerned or for your dogs. The farmer may consider his flock to be at risk (especially when they are in lamb) and you are either taken to court or, far worse, your dogs shot. Thankfully, for most shepherds/farmers, shooting a dog is the last resort, but unfortunately there are some who do feel it is their right and are very trigger happy
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Hmm not sure what to say really!

It is extremely irresponsible at this time of year (in particular) to walk two dogs off lead through ewes who will either be in lamb or who will have lambs. Just the sight of strange dogs can send a pregnant ewe into a panic, to the point where she may even abort the lamb, or if she has a lamb she will likely run away and leave the lamb, who could then become lost, hungry, cold or even die.

It is great that your dogs are under control around sheep, but probably not worth the risk in future - for the sheep concerned or for your dogs. The farmer may consider his flock to be at risk (especially when they are in lamb) and you are either taken to court or, far worse, your dogs shot. Thankfully, for most shepherds/farmers, shooting a dog is the last resort, but unfortunately there are some who do feel it is their right and are very trigger happy
COULDNT agree more, for the few minutes it would take to lead your dog and find and get away from the sheep - why take the risk with your dogs life??
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Seems to me that the OP is having a little pop at those of us that like to train their dogs with kindness and gentleness, & rewarding good behaviour

He obviously prefers the dominate and scare the sh*t out of your dog approach to training how very sad.

Jann
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >