register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 10 of 29 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
On another forum this link is up, I think that the pictures make for uncomfortable viewing,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...a-Aintree.html

This one really makes me cringe, although its probally not the worse one.
I saw that article earlier and that pic is the one I found the most shocking. Isnt that Dooneys Gate in the fall which killed him? What pic did you find the worst?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:11 PM
A service dog is a hell of a lot better use of an animal's life than a horse bred for entertainment and money. The two cannot be compared!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I would need more info/facts to form an opinion. Are they re-homed because they can't be cared for? Or to help someone else? My main concern would be their welfare.
Guide dogs have a re-homing policy for all their dogs that don't make the grade, I forget the name of the initiative. They go to homes as companion, buddy dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't watch it or bet on it. I love horses, but am not interested in horse racing.

I would be happy for changes to be made to the race to improve the safety of riders and horses and reduce risks. However, I do think that the huge pull of the GN for many is the risk factor.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Do me a favour Azz, service dogs serve people, period. Thats the ONLY reason they are bred, the only reason they exist. Please dont expect people to believe they are anything other than that, most people who have them dont have "pets" only that dog that does what is needed by its keeper.

Many discard guide dogs when they are finished with them, weird though, if it were a showdog everyone would be up in arms!!

Just because a service dog is kept in the home, it means nothing aside from the fact that thats where its required. They do a FANTASTIC job, change the lives of so many people, but at the end of the day thats they whole reason they are there to be used by those people.
Very true.

There is also the argument that if horse racing were abolished there would be no need for the athlete that is the racehorse. What would happen to all the living racehorses? Dog meat probably
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:18 PM
wow dogsey never fails to surprise me in a not nice way

cant be bothered to go back and multiquote, I think most of what I am quoting is Dawn

First saying if you dont like it you dont have to watch
- If someone finds something cruel then just not watching IMO is the worst thing you can do, turn a blind eye - out of sight out of mind
If people strongly feel against something then good on them for trying to stand up to it

Interesting that not that many weeks ago you were totaly against the dog agility at crufts because a few dogs looked like they slipped - although there were no injuries and no deaths that I am aware of
However 2 deaths - and the winners jockey getting a ban for excessive use of the whip - and you can just shrug that off as an acceptable risk??

Accidents happen, I am sure that dogs have died at all sorts of dog shows, horses die when exercising
But
The vast NUMBERS of horses dying here is not acceptable, a death should be RARE, if it is regular then things are too dangerous
Would you go to work if 2 in every 40 people died every year or would you think that was a little too high?

and I think they should take the whips/crops off the riders
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
At least they are not suffering - and from what I've seen are often loved and cared for.

If that doesn't happen and they are being abused - why do you think I would think it acceptable? I wouldn't. I am against ALL abuse of dogs/animals.
Back to my point, a Horse is not a house pet!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Back to my point, a Horse is not a house pet!
How does that de-value it's life?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Very true.

There is also the argument that if horse racing were abolished there would be no need for the athlete that is the racehorse. What would happen to all the living racehorses? Dog meat probably
Of course, but then they would be moaning about that!

Care for the animals you have charge of, whatever they may be, in whatever sphere. I get incredibly annoyed at these folk that cannot abide all this cruelty just for humans, but the cruelty is ignored when it may benefit them!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
How does that de-value it's life?
Its a Horse not a house pet. Whats all this "devaluing?" If a Horse is injured its treated, if its injury is too severe its PTS, oh hang on isnt that the same for dogs??
Page 10 of 29 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »