Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 12:50 PM

riding today (pics n vid)

i hadnt ridden properly for 4 years then got back in the saddle 3 months ago and rode once a week

so be nice

i dont aspire to be really good... just to be safe and stay on - horse was being very stubborn today and we managed a bunny hop(not abuck lol)and mega napping sooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiGM8S3hbMw

comments welcome
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:15 PM
I thought you looked really good well done,
the only wee tiny thing I noticed was, when he pushed his head down he knocks you a tiny bit of balance,
cobs are smart cookies, they learn quick all the little naughty things they can do, lol
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I thought you looked really good well done,
the only wee tiny thing I noticed was, when he pushed his head down he knocks you a tiny bit of balance,
cobs are smart cookies, they learn quick all the little naughty things they can do, lol
thank you

yes hes a strong lad.... he had a massive napping fit before we videoed him (well my friend videoed lol) bunnyhopping and i was like nope not having it!!!!

i also tend to learn forward quite a lot especaially going into canter and coming back down (and also like you said when he pushes his head forward)

hes a smart boy though wont move unless you give him the correct aids... so teaches me well..

Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Katie23 View Post
thank you

yes hes a strong lad.... he had a massive napping fit before we videoed him (well my friend videoed lol) bunnyhopping and i was like nope not having it!!!!

i also tend to learn forward quite a lot especaially going into canter and coming back down (and also like you said when he pushes his head forward)

hes a smart boy though wont move unless you give him the correct aids... so teaches me well..

you look very happy in the saddle,

your leg aids going in to canter were very clear, do you find your shoulders sore when you finish a lesson,
do you do any jumping?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
you look very happy in the saddle,

your leg aids going in to canter were very clear, do you find your shoulders sore when you finish a lesson,
do you do any jumping?
im very happy to be back in the saddle... i love it

my shoulders arnt sore tbh but im finding i have to really emphasise all canter aids...

my friend was watching and videoing who i told her to be honest about my riding if i asked wrong etc and she said it was all good... he was just being lazy

i dont jump unfortunately...as he wont... unless XC... dont do showjumps whichis something i love! theres a jump in the vid which i would hav quite happily done if he would too lol"

my next problem is that was potentially my last ride on him - and for the forseeable future (very gutted.com)! as i lost my job monday and cant afford horses anymore.... apart from the odd lessons.... (hes a loan horse 2 days a week)
very gutted to say the least!!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:40 PM
im very happy to be back in the saddle... i love it

my shoulders arnt sore tbh but im finding i have to really emphasise all canter aids...

my friend was watching and videoing who i told her to be honest about my riding if i asked wrong etc and she said it was all good... he was just being lazy

i dont jump unfortunately...as he wont... unless XC... dont do showjumps whichis something i love! theres a jump in the vid which i would hav quite happily done if he would too lol"

my next problem is that was potentially my last ride on him - and for the forseeable future (very gutted.com)! as i lost my job monday and cant afford horses anymore.... apart from the odd lessons.... (hes a loan horse 2 days a week)
very gutted to say the least!!!
from what I have seen your a compitent rider, so,..... I wouldnt be to downhearted, have you thought about offering to exercise peoples horses for them,
often people who own horses cant give there horse as much exercise as it needs, more so over the winter, poss due to work commitments and the dark nights,
your days are free, so you may be able to find a horse to exercise thats not going to cost you anything,
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:42 PM
thanks thats a really nice thing to say

tbh i felt like a failed rider today but then i saw the vids and though im not that bad... so i will offer to exercise others and see where that goes

i can afford the odd lesson and want to keep riding up as in 4 years i want to buy my own again - after uni and after postgrad (this is keeping me going through uni lol)!!

Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:48 PM
thanks thats a really nice thing to say

tbh i felt like a failed rider today but then i saw the vids and though im not that bad... so i will offer to exercise others and see where that goes

i can afford the odd lesson and want to keep riding up as in 4 years i want to buy my own again - after uni and after postgrad (this is keeping me going through uni lol)!!

awe, dont feel like that, there was no failure that I seen in that vid,
cobs are often very front heavy, so its hard to look as classy on them,
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Well I thought you looked good, and he looked hard work!!! You were nice and upright, a good position, had good contact without pulling on the reins (oh I hate heavy hands and you don't have them!!!), the transition into canter was good too, nice deep seat, BUT, you slouched beforehand!!! Don't anticipate and lean forward, you need to have a really deep seat to get that canter along with the legs, so leaning forward will hinder it! When you're really good you can get a canter just by pushing down on your bum! Try it!!!

I would never have thought you'd been out of the saddle for a few years, you did well, but I bet you can't walk very well today! Excellent I reckon!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Well I thought you looked good, and he looked hard work!!! You were nice and upright, a good position, had good contact without pulling on the reins (oh I hate heavy hands and you don't have them!!!), the transition into canter was good too, nice deep seat, BUT, you slouched beforehand!!! Don't anticipate and lean forward, you need to have a really deep seat to get that canter along with the legs, so leaning forward will hinder it! When you're really good you can get a canter just by pushing down on your bum! Try it!!!

I would never have thought you'd been out of the saddle for a few years, you did well, but I bet you can't walk very well today! Excellent I reckon!

awww thanks H

i always tip before asking for canter -one of my worst ever habits!!! and tipping coming back down too

i just need to sit deeper in the saddle which i know i dont do

thanks for the tips xx

i think ive improved though from a month ago... with my feet (heels down) and my arms...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNC_QSRSvlU

that was end of sept - i think ive improved?? (except the canter )

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >