View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 07:23 PM

Calming signals for dog aggressive dogs?

Ok, so I've found a fantastic link written by Turid Rugaas until I can afford the book!

I've been reading up on calming signals and they're all things I've picked up on before but it's good to have it pointed out to you.

My question is - Eddy is dog aggressive and he runs straight at other dogs (well he doesn't because he's kept on the lead but he would if he could).

We always give dogs a wide berth and I hadn't realised we were doing it but this does seem to have made a difference in that, he does occasionally go off the lead and doesn't charge at other dogs anymore.

Would teaching Eddy calming signals on cue, calm him as well as the other dog?
He's the one with the problem so I'm not sure - would it make much difference to his attitude if he was encouraged to approach them in a curve, lie down and walk slower etc?

As he tends to be on the lead, should we be walking past approaching dogs slowly, in a curve?
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Turid's book is brilliant!

I have read that when you have an aggressive dog or nervous dog, if you go straight ahead it caused the problem to become worse, whereas if you curve around the oncoming dog it is a lot less confrontational.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Lottie would you like to borrow my copy of the book, it isn't that big and can easily pop into a jiffy bag????
You could easily read it within a few days, it is interesting. I found myself watching the dogs more after i read it, and I can tell quicker if one of them feels uncomfortable in a situation.

If you want to , just PM me your address I will post it. I lent it to a friend with a nervy GSD rescue, and he copied some of the techniques such as yawning ,and lip licking etc and changing his posture when approaching his dog, she was so nervous she would urinate when he went near her, and she has improved soo much.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Have you looked on Amazon Lottie, you can probably get it cheap on there?

Is this it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Talking-Term...4258839&sr=8-1
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 10:41 PM
That's the one Kel

I will pick it up when I've started my new job and get paid, but at the moment anything and everything that I buy, I'm borrowing money for so I just can't get it right now regardless of price.

Moonstone has kindly offered to send me her copy to read so I will be able to have a read and buy one later to keep for reference!
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 10:48 PM
I should be going to the Post Office tomorrow so will post it then I have her other book too, My dog pulls,what do I do, it was good aswell.Shame you didn't live closer I got stacks of dog behaviour books I bought for my canine behaviour course
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Aw thanks Moonstone

Would have loved to have borrowed the books but never mind

A recommended reading list would be lovely though Have read a few but love to read behaviour books!
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Aw thanks Moonstone

Would have loved to have borrowed the books but never mind

A recommended reading list would be lovely though Have read a few but love to read behaviour books!

I will pop a book list in with the book hun x Do you want to borrow the My Dog pulls book? it is light too,(has a lot of tips on behaviour in it too.) so won't really make much difference to the parcel.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Aw thank you! Yes please!
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Aw thank you! Yes please!
Okay will post both later with list.