View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2007, 03:33 PM
I know she's not a puppy, Just trying to show how I trained.

I would walk together with her and show him how he could improve, if she is better behaved with you.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2007, 03:35 PM
I use treats too Inca.

Why not try your son lead-walking her at home first as there will be less distractions than out on the street? Perhaps in the garden just one-to-one.

I start out with the dog in the sit while I clip the lead on, praise then walk off. I hold the treat in my left hand, lead in my right and at first hold the treat low down so the dog does not jump up for it. Using a happy voice I say heel and walk off using the treats to gain their attention. If the dog pulls ahead or jumps I just stop dead in my tracks until they settle and try again (a change of direction can help to, just about turn!). I also like to combine a little obedience ie: do a sit and wait. I know Cavaliers are very bright, I am sure Sophie will soon learn that training and walks are more fun if she listens as she will get the rewards

Is there no obedience classes he could join? There Sophie could learn to behave under distractions?

Good luck!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Are you using a harness Lise, less pull and all that, short lead until she learns.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 08:31 AM
short lead helps but it initially will only all be in short bursts as she won`t maintain a prolonged heel for the whole walk. My trainer uses the change direction tactic when jumping occurs so that you turn out of the jump and then reward when the dog sits.They will often sit without command when you turn away from then.He then continues walking forward. He does this training in a small area with the dog focused on him rather than on a walk...The results we have seen at class were amazing.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 09:21 AM
yes mine all wear puppia harness's he has done better the last few days with her ...he said when she jumps up and deepens his voice to a stirn OFF ...........
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Has he tried stopping dead and completely ignoring her? she will soon get bored of no reaction, Zuki used to do it to Dom but when I told him to do this she soon got fed up of not going anywhere
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Reeno is the same he gets very excited, in the end i have given up with him as we dont do much walking near the roads if we do its a compleat nightmare. I now just let him walk ahead on a 15ft lead (not extender)
When we were trying to get him to stop jumping up ect i tried treats, but like Sophie he would grab my pockets. We tried the stopping walking and waiting untill he calmed down but nope it didnt work.
Go for a walk with them and give him some points. I hope you canwork somthing out.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
Has he tried stopping dead and completely ignoring her? she will soon get bored of no reaction, Zuki used to do it to Dom but when I told him to do this she soon got fed up of not going anywhere

I was going to suggest the same.I would try with no treats if she is jumping up at his pocket.
I would walk and stop as soon as she misbehaved...stand still,no eye contact,no speaking.As soon as she stops walk on with quiet calm praise.It may take a while .
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 07:08 PM
You know as well as I do that I am no expert, but I wonder if Sophie is enjoying the one-on-one attention? Oscar has an awful habit of jumping up and I have tried all the things suggested to no avail. Eventually, I thought maybe jumping up was getting him extra attention - albeit negative - and so I ignore him completely when he jumps up and only engage with him when he walks nicely and sits. There has been some improvement since I started this.
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Yer i would say a short lead and some treats for her and the more she goes out the better she will be
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2