Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2006, 09:17 AM

Toilet training in bad weather

Things are going backwards here ..the weather last few days has been awful high winds and heavy rain .....poor Inca jr has forgotton all the toilet training she has learnt ..........the wind last night nearly blew her away so came back in and pee's indoors

any one had this and what did you do ?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Star hated the wind so when she was a puppy I had to put her on her lead, wrap up and go and stand outside with her until she pees which could be 20 minutes or so
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Hi Inca a lot of dogs hate the rain, Schnauzers do..a golf umberella helps, some high value treats (like chicken bits) as a reward and grim determination
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2006, 09:30 AM
The weather here has been dreadful till yesterday,but we still put tyler out side and stayed with him till he'd done what he needed to,his breeder had started putting them outside so we wanted to carry on.
Great standing outside at 4am in the pouring rain and wind.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2006, 09:32 AM
i seem to stay out there for ever .....LOL I have never had a pups this time of year always in the spring and summer so its always been ok ....
i wedged the door open yesterday went upstairs for 10 mins and when i came back pee and poop in the the conservatory
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Inca
Things are going backwards here ..the weather last few days has been awful high winds and heavy rain .....poor Inca jr has forgotton all the toilet training she has learnt ..........the wind last night nearly blew her away so came back in and pee's indoors

any one had this and what did you do ?
Loki is the same he hates the rain (some water dog!) and refuses to go toilet outside holds it til he gets in no mater how long I stand out getting soaked! Is getting alittle beter then it was but the rain still means accidents inside!
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 05:07 PM
My cavies do not like to go outside when it is cold,wet and windy.

I have been lucky that during toilet training they have responded to a verbal cue. When they went toilet when we were out on a walk. I would give lots of praise and the verbal cue. This now means when its not very nice weather I would give the verbal cue to go to the toilet.

I use the verbal cue just befor I go into training class too, so I know that they will be comfortable for the 1 hr class.

Min xxx
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 05:31 PM
My staffie Gypsy just will not go out to pee if its raining!!!she will sit with her legs crossed.....
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2006, 09:17 AM
like petstalk our pups are trained to spend on command and this does help. We have a bit of patio sectioned off and we put them in there when it's time to go....they get a reward for doing it in the right place and we give the command as they do it and lots of verbal praise. It doesn't take long for them to realise where to go and what to do in there and so if they don't do it straight away, you know they don't need to, not saying they don't still have accidents in the house, but it does make life a lot easier. I would definitely do this with any new 'forever' dog we may get, as it also makes sure they don't spend on the lead or sniff etc ( with other training) which I think, ultimately will become an essential part of dog ownership in the not too distant future.They have a good sniff etc off lead.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Moli
My staffie Gypsy just will not go out to pee if its raining!!!she will sit with her legs crossed.....
Must be a name thing

My chi x, Gypsy and my whippet, Bonnie would never go outside (willingly) when it was raining, snowing or below about 75 degress (F), then again they were spoilt California dogs

I used a large piece of tarp and covered an area, kind of made a tent with it, hitched it up on the fencing in a corner and then put a pole in the ground, I usually ended up carrying them both out there, to put their paws on wet ground anyone would think they were standing on hot coals or something, once they were under the tent I would shoot off to the back door and tell them 'go potty', it usually didnt take too long, neither of them were 'brave enough' to come out from under the tent by themselves and as it was only a small space that was an established bathroom area, they didnt like staying there too long. So theyd get on with it and then look at me with their 'pleading' eyes.