Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:39 AM
As I am supremely practical I would recommend the following:

Contact Trevor Cooper http://www.doglaw.co.uk/contact.php

if that is not possible then:

First of all you MUST inform your insurance company about this (if you are insured) as failure to do so could invalidate his insurance.

Secondly now this has occurred you must keep Bailey on a lead or long line at all times now because your dog has prior history and also he has had success.

Thirdly, you must get your dog used to wearing a muzzle and demonstrate that you are a responsible owner by ensuring he wears it if and when appropriate.

Fourthly I would inform the police of the event and of the texts.

You cannot change the past but you can control the future.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:49 AM
We've discussed it and I'm gonna start walking Bailey seperatley and keep him on lead permanently - I just feel so sorry for this guy, can't believe he's being so reasonable!! Not sure I could be

We've kept the texts and are going to give it the weekend to see if everything calms down - I don't really want to add fuel to the fire by sending police in at the moment. We've not received any this morning however it's early yet.

I'm so gutted, I just don't know where to start in trying to fix Bailey. We thought it was because I'd lost confidence in him and was making things worse by tensing up etc when a dog came near, or he thought he was 'looking after me' but I wasn't even there, Thought it was lively bouncy dogs in his face but there was loads of space between them, just wish I knew what his trigger was but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why he chooses to go for one dog but not another, we've met all kinds of dogs over the last couple of months and he's been fine, he even went off lead with Opie and was ok, even tried to have a bit of a play.

Just so upset and can't think straight at the moment

Thanks for your support everyone Am off now to find some more tissues
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm so sorry this has happened
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Im very sorry this has happened, the gentleman must be absolutely devastated.
Hasn't Bailey shown aggression previously? IMO he must wear a muzzle from now on and kept on a lead around other dogs.

Also, Id walk 2 dogs at a time so it will be easier for you
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Have you consulted a trainer or behaviourist?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
As I am supremely practical I would recommend the following:

Contact Trevor Cooper http://www.doglaw.co.uk/contact.php

if that is not possible then:

First of all you MUST inform your insurance company about this (if you are insured) as failure to do so could invalidate his insurance.

Secondly now this has occurred you must keep Bailey on a lead or long line at all times now because your dog has prior history and also he has had success.

Thirdly, you must get your dog used to wearing a muzzle and demonstrate that you are a responsible owner by ensuring he wears it if and when appropriate.

Fourthly I would inform the police of the event and of the texts.

You cannot change the past but you can control the future.
I have a muzzle for him which he wears when I know we're going places where there will be other dogs but he'll now wear it all the time he's out of the garden, he'll also be permanently on lead too. I'll go to the site and contact him

Thanks
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 11:08 AM
What a horrible situation

You need to put several measures in place so that this can never happen again.

1). You need to see a reputable behaviourist and work with them

2) Inform your insurance, you may find they refuse to pay out in the future if you have not declared he has aggressive tendancies towards other dogs

3) Only walk him alone or with one other dog so you can have complete control over him at all times

4) He must be kept on a lead at all times

5) Muzzle him when out

To be honest I think the owner of the small dog is being more than reasonable, I would be devestated if that had happened to one of mine and I know I wouldn't be as reasonable as this guy is being

Legally I don't think they would have much recourse because it was a dog on dog attack where both dogs were off lead (if I have read it correctly) which isn't covered by the DDA but you must show that you are doing everything you can to prevent this situation from occuring again.

Not trying to have a go, you are obviously incredibly upset by all that has happened, you just need to make sure that it can never happen again.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Leanne, I'm so sorry lovey
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Have you consulted a trainer or behaviourist?
I have previously, it was her who gave me tips that I thought had helped, had been working for the past 6/7 months, he's gradually got better and better and then this

I really struggled to find one that would work with him, I phoned the local to me ones on the APTB(?) website and they all said there was no hope as he's blind

I'm going to ring the woman I used before back when I've calmed down a bit, it's a right trek up to cumbria - however I'll see what she says over the phone 1st.

The strange thing (to me) is he allows other dogs into our house with no issues whatsoever! He was brill with Ollie who was an adult male and he's great with the girls, my friends even brought her dog round and he was OK - you'd think he wouldn't like it but it's always when we're outside !!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Was it you that went to that "dog psychologist" in Cumbria who nobody in the APDT or APBC has heard of............?

http://www.caninebehaviour.co.uk/ind...d=51&Itemid=66

There has been some recent activity on the APDT forum regarding her.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »