Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Swisbey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:02 PM

DOG PROOF cat litter trays

Since we got two kittens the dogs keep getting into the litter trays, even though we monitor them. We can't get them high up away from the dogs or find an area that only the cats can get to.

Has anyone else got this problem and has found a solution. There was a thing called Doggone litter proof on-line, but the website seems to be out of use and I can't find these for sale anywhere.

One dog getting to the trays is a Chi - the other a Retriever!!

Any help would be much appreciated.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:12 PM
get one with a lid. they are like cat carriers but have a cat flap on so they can get in a do their buissness in private.
there great also keep the smell inside
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Invent one and you will make a fortune I have the ones with the door on, not only can the collies still get their heads in but Mouse the papillon uses it as a swing door to the "cafe"
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
get one with a lid. they are like cat carriers but have a cat flap on so they can get in a do their buissness in private.
thats what we have...also saw a thing that goes on toilet seat for cat to poo on....was at a car booty so dont know where you would get one
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I have one with a lid and flap that sits inside a cupboard in the lobby between the utility room and kitchen. Both the kitchen and utility room have dog gates on. The cupboard door has one of those foam things on it to stop kids slamming their fingers in cupboards which stops the door from closing completely, so the cats can get in and a hook and eye arrangement to stop the dogs opening the door wider than a cat. Not sure it would work with a chi though as he/she is probably no bigger than my fat cat.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum View Post
thats what we have...also saw a thing that goes on toilet seat for cat to poo on....was at a car booty so dont know where you would get one
That one's called a Litter Kwitter... have never tried it - with a three-legged cat I'd be too concerned with miscalculations and loss of balance leading to a cat down the toilet bowl to be honest (and hell hath no fury like a peed off moggie).
Always Terriers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2011, 04:58 PM
I've not seen the ones with the cat flap on but one of my dogs is smaller than the cat so it wouldn't work (and the others could get their heads in).

Our cheap solution is a normal cat tray with one of the plastic hoods put inside a very large cardboard box (that the dogs food is delivered in) and a hole in the top for the cats to get in/out. The big dogs can't reach in and the small one hasn't shown any interest in jumping up there.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Hi Steph there are enclosed litter trays on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_1l59f9t0km_b

My son has an enclosed one for winter use and the dogs don't seem to bother with it..
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
never kept mine out, but you have to be careful with them ones, mine used it fine for months then one day one cat stopped using it someone said to try without the flap and he started to use it agen, rekon that the flap hit his back so he refused to go in it agen,

The only way I have found is litter tray in bathroom and babygate on the stairs

ATD x