Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2005, 08:09 PM

MMR and Autism

A subject close to my heart on BBC2 now.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Kazz
Do you think there is a link?
I've not studied it in huge detail but I thought the most recent research said no.
Sorry - not watching the prog - OH is watching The Unforgiven - great movie but a bit bleak.
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2005, 08:58 PM
I think there is a link

My son is on the Autistic Scale.He changed after his MMR jab
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2005, 09:04 PM
I think I have looked too much. I really don't know. There a cases for and against. It doesn't matter really at the end of the day once you are diagnosed you are diagnosed one thing is for certain there is no cure. But I having had Autisum touch the family I would go for the single jabs rather than the Measles Mumps and Rubella all together.

Karen
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

29-05-2005, 10:44 PM
what I don't understand is why they don't allow you the choice for single jabs - personally I think there is a link
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2005, 10:52 PM
One thing I dont understand is - if there is a link why is it only after the MMR at 15 months it seems to be picked up and not after the pre school one at age 4 because its the same vaccination again

My kids have all had theirs but that was before all this came to light.
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2005, 07:14 AM
All my 3 children have had the jab, and no problems at all.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Same here, all 4 of mine have had it without problems.....and if (which I know isn't going to happen) I had more children, I would have it done again.

My two eldest recently had to have a mumps injection at school because of an outbreak of mumps, because people have been scared by the stories they read and won't vaccinate at all.
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 08:15 AM
My son Tom is Autistic and although it wasn,t diagnosed until he was five years old i new he was from a very early age. Tom never had the MMR jab so i can,t say that had anything to do with his condition. There is an hereditary link in our family as i have a half brother who has Aspergers Syndrome (milder form of Autism). A good book on the subject of Autism can be found here http://www.aboutautism.com/
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Hi all,
As a Practice Nurse, I've given 100's of these injections and have to say that none of the children I've given them to have developed problems.
Autism commonly shows itself at roughly the same age as the MMR is given; that's why it is thought that there could be a link. I have to say that I agonised over this with my own two boys but they had the MMR.
There have been so many studies over this controversial injection and so far, none have come up with anything conclusive.
I'm not a scientist, just go with my gut feelings. It doesn't happen after the booster perhaps because (a) there is no link or (b) the child has already been subjected to the viruses and has a stronger immune system....just my theories.
I've never 'forced' a mum to have her child vaccinated, if she says no, that's fine.
They don't do the single jabs here because primarily, it would be more traumatic to the child;I know I'd prefer to stick one needle into a child once rather than three times, even if they are spaced out. And don't forget, in the meantime, the child is still at risk of contracting the other diseases that they are not vaccinated against!
Still, having said all that, I really feel for the parents who have experienced this after the MMR, whether because of it or not. I'd probablly feel exactly the same way.
TTFN
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >