Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-09-2010, 12:04 AM

Blooming hedgehogs

'Bloody' hedgehogs would be a more fitting title.

Breagh doesn't mind them but I've had night time hedgehog issues ever since (12 years ago) Skye and Fingal were pups.

This time of year I can expect all hell to break loose perhaps twice a week at bed time when the dogs go out and providing I'm quick I can get them in and rescue the hedgehog - dropping it over the bank at the end of the garden into the woods.

1/3 of the time I'm quick enough and no harm is done. 1/3 of the time the dogs are bloody but the hedgehog survives and a 1/3 of the time the dogs are bloody and the hedgehog is in bits.

This year though it's been a nightmare. I would estimate they've 'had' at least 20 in the last two weeks. Not much I can do for the ripped up ones but I've taken to lifting the survivors on the coal shovel and putting them in a 'safe' place where I can check them the next morning and I'm glad to say that 80% of those I get to in time and move are fine the next the day although some obviously die from the shock.

Is anybody else having problems ?

I've just had to bathe Skye's mouth and feet for about the third night running.

I've scratched my head but can't think of any reason why we're getting more than usual and despite having a great big spotlight - dog's noses being what they are - it's impossible to check all the shadows and bushes in the garden to make sure the coast is clear before letting them out.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 12:26 AM
We sometimes get them.....Diesel just barks at them if he sees it before us. I now always put the sensor light on before I let him out, so's I can check and make sure the coast is clear. It's frogs we're having problems with......And the odd mouse.

It must really be a nightmare for you x
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Don't have too much of a problem with Rupert although if he finds one he's horrible with it. Shadow was the same. Wolf was a nightmare though, I'm sure he used to seek them out. He never tried to hurt them, he'd just bring them to us and drop them at our feet then dance back and wait for us to throw them (think he thought they were balls). Course Shadow would then come and see what Wolf had that he didn't and all hell would break loose.

I've only actually seen 2 hedgehogs this year, one was in our back garden, Rupert found it and my neighbours probably hate me for yelling "get off it you murderous beast!" as I dragged him away at 1am. I tripped over the other one as I relocated the one Rupe had found.
steve78
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-09-2010, 08:02 AM
ive seen 1 hedge hog this year came to the front door but lola has squished a few frogs out on our walk theyre every where
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a hedgehog in our garden! We do have more of a problem with frogs. I don't see what you can do to stop them though.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Luckily I've only ever seen one hedgehog in our garden and I was too late to stop my terrier despatching it to hedgehog heaven
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 10:45 AM
We get one most nights - whether its the same one or not though, I don't know.

Luckily for me though, Hoki & Stumpy are only interested in fast moving things - they're in it for the chase rather than the kill.

I let Stumpy out the other night and went to see what she was up to when she didn't come back in. She was just sat in the middle of the garden watching the hedgehog ambling along by the fence.
cravencraven
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2010, 11:40 AM
This is Craven keeping an eye on a hedgehog in our garden,he used to barked at it especially when it's eating out of his bowl,but now after "leave it" he just watches it,but he won't settle inside the house when he knows the hedgehog is outside.
cravencraven
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2010, 11:41 AM
well the photo didn't work,but believe me it's craven closely watching a hedgehog.!!!!!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 11:46 AM
You just missed out a [ at the begining but bless Craven, my dogs have only seen one hedgehog, and was left stumped by it .
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >