View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amykf3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2008, 11:35 AM

My poor Nala got attacked yesterday - long rant alert!

I am so angry and upset with the situation let me tell you more about it.
I had my parents round for tea yesterday and they decided to take Nala out for a walk to tire her out (she was particularly hyper yesterday), so they were out for a good 30mins down our local field with her fave ball.
They came back and my dad had a bleeding finger saying that he went to pick up the ball at the same time as Nala and she caught his finger. (she has never drawn blood before so though it was a bit strange.) After tea I was washing up with my mum and noticed a little 'bald' patch on Nala's head, on closer inspections there was blood but though it was from dads finger. I asked OH to have a closer look. There were a few more baldy patches on her head and muzzle. My mum then said it was time to own up. While playing a GS came along and started palying with Nala but then got a bit boisterour and chased her, she got spooked and legged it squeaking all the way into the trees and bushes where she got cornered. They didn't elaborate much more on what happened next. But I think dad may have gotten inbetween them and got caught. Nala seems to only have a few little grazes on her head but I'm worrying that it may have affected her mentally. She's always loved other people and other dogs. We're taking her to the same field tongiht to see how she is. Fingers crossed!
I'm angry with my parents as they were going to keep it from me as my mum said that as I am pregnant she didn't want me to get into a tizz about it. Well I'm more in a tizz cos they didn't tell me!
I just wished I and my OH were there as we would have stopped it before it got too rough. (OH could probably out run a GS as he's a very good sprinter.)
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Do hope she is alright tonight.Sounds like play that got out of hand. Hope she feels that way & it hasn't affected her,
So glad your parents decided to tell you. Otherwise you may have had a dog showing behaviour that you would not be able to find an explanation for.
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2008, 11:54 AM
She is a dog and will get over it, so should you...You need to understand that dogs are pack animals and these things happen. I am not trying to upset you or make excuses but if people keep this sort of thing going, dogs will be banned altogether it is what the anti-dog brigade want and this fuels their fire. Dog people should stand together and not get into a tizzy when one dog nips another...totally different if they maul another dog.. and that is obviously not the case here. I have often had one of my gentle giants bitten by another dog, it is a fear thing in this case and I just have to say forget it...and so should you...don't get upset your dog is fine.
amykf3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not annoyed with the other dog or the owner but with my parents really. I can't help but think there may be more to it as I still feel like they are keeping something from me.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi,

whether or not there is more to it, makes no difference as your dog seems fine. I would just carry on as you were with your dog and don't look for or expect any problems. The matter of your parents is well, something else but don't think you should overly worry yourself or become overly protective of your dog. All the best!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 01:44 PM
I agree with the others. Dogs live in the 'here and now' for the most part and I've come to realise it so much more since having my own dogs.

More than likely she won't be affected by the incident and will have forgotten all about it. My dogs have gotten into little spats with other dogs during play, then been best friends 5 minutes later!

I understand why you would be angry with your parents though. But at least your mum did tell you in the end.

xxx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by bribiba View Post
She is a dog and will get over it, so should you...You need to understand that dogs are pack animals and these things happen. I am not trying to upset you or make excuses but if people keep this sort of thing going, dogs will be banned altogether it is what the anti-dog brigade want and this fuels their fire. Dog people should stand together and not get into a tizzy when one dog nips another...totally different if they maul another dog.. and that is obviously not the case here. I have often had one of my gentle giants bitten by another dog, it is a fear thing in this case and I just have to say forget it...and so should you...don't get upset your dog is fine.
Sorry don't completely agree with that.
The majority of dogs do get over it yes and the handler is often more shook up.
But there are dogs that it affects greatly. I had heard of and met a few dogs like this in the past, but now I have experienced it first hand. I have a very fear aggresive dog down to other dogs nipping at her and biting her, yet my other dog who has also been nipped at like you say it has not affected and is fine. It depends on the dog and I don't think they should be all lumped together as one with the same behaviour or reactions.
I don't think the op was even hinting about broadcasting it to the anti dog campaigners and I find that an over reaction.
Perhaps all dog owners should stand together and keep thier dogs under control like the majority here on Dogsey seem to. If the other owner had perhaps had control of his off lead dog they would have been able to call thier dog back and stop this going this far.
I hope Nala is ok I'm sure she will be and all goes well tonight.