Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by MrsC View Post
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb337/Daisywaisy1/

Has this worked?!! If so, you should see a pic of Daisy in the snow. If not, sorry but I'll go back to the drawing board!!
Copy the image code from Photobucket, not the link code and the pic will appear in your post rather than via a link. By the way, welcome
MrsC
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
Copy the image code from Photobucket, not the link code and the pic will appear in your post rather than via a link. By the way, welcome
Ah, will try that then...I'm so useless with all this sort of stuff!
MrsC
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by Craig & Lorna View Post
Late night last night, and i do not seem to be able to get acorss what i am trying to say. Or maybe i am and it is just falling on deaf ears.

To suggest that a Stafford that is dog aggressive should not be bred from is utter rubbish ! Most are naturally dog aggressive, yes there are those that will happily play with other dogs, but there are also those that will not !

If you visit most Stafford rings at any KC event, you will see more than a few dogs and bitches that are having a go at eachother in and out of the ring. Most owners (Bar the idiots) keep their dogs on tight leads and are fully aware of what their dog is capable of. Again there are those that will happily wag their tails, sniff eachother...etc... Some of the top winning dogs in this country, will not tolerate eacother. Should these dogs also be excluded from breeding programmes ?

I am not advocating dog fighting at all, but Staffords can and do have a temprement that means they will not get along with other dogs, to imply that they do not is more dangerous for the breed than anyone admitting that they can be dog aggressive, and trying to educate people !

You only need to read forums such as these to see how many people go into owning this breed blind. With the ammount of .... "**** growled at another dog today what should i do" posts. You own a Stafford, surely you were aware that these problems could arise, if not why didn't you research first, and who sold you a dog without knowing what you were potentially getting yourself in for ?

Nobody would condem a German Shepherd for defending it's house, it's natural instinct. Again there are some that wont, that doesn't mean that they are not naturally guarding !

Some Staffords are not naturally dog aggressive, but as a breed they generally are !

It drives me mad when Staffords and their owners are comdemned for something which is part of the breed. Yes it needs to be controlled and understood, but it is there !

Subjects like this often take a turn for the worse on "all breed" forums, more so than "breed specific" forums. Maybe because owners of different breeds, do not fully understand and just assume that Staffords and "Bull breeds" should be more like their breed ?
I think you'll find most dogs of all breeds would bark etc and try to defend their property and family. That is the natural instinct of dogs. NOT just GSDs.
Also, GSDs are a herding breeding; not a guarding breed.

.............I recently saw a post from you, stating that someones opion on German Shepherds was not valid because they hadn't actually owned one...... So, how many Staffords have you owned ?
Please don't spin what i have said.

For arguements sake, as used in a previous post. German Shepherds are a natural guarding breed. If you stopped breeding from any German Shepherd that showed any signs of guarding it's home or owners..etc.. You WOULD change the breed. Yes there are those that do not show guarding instinct.

If you take the dog aggression out of Staffords, you will change the breed, if you want a Stafford then you take them knowing what you are getting. If what they are doesn't suit you, that's fine, don't have one. I don't want a dog that has been purposly bred to be a watered down version of it's former self. If i have a dog that shows no dog aggression, that's fine too, but i will be aware that it is there ! It's like a pointer that doens't point

All of my dogs are fantastic family pets, they will play all day everyday with my children and anyone elses children that they come across. They just don't like other dogs, i can live with that !
GSDs are NOT a guarding breed. Never have ben, never will be. They will defend their proeprty and family because they are extremely loyal. Nothing to do with being a guarding breed.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 01:30 AM
The point that seems to be continually missed is this is not every breed we are talking about. We are talking specifically about the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

If someone told you that they wanted a (Don't mean to keep using the German Shephered) German Shepherd but they really did not want a dog that was protective of it's owner or home, you would tell them to look at a different breed !
If you do not want a potentially dog aggressive dog then don't buy a Stafford !
GSDs are lyoal and will protect their ownera etc. However, many dogs of most other breeds would do exactly that. Maybe a different example would get your point across more easily.

What personal insults ?

Judging by your previous posts you clealy know nothing about Staffords ? That's not an insult that is an observation.

I agree, the whole point of forums such as these is to get advice and help others ! Do you not see how that can seem a little off, when the person trying to educate and give you advice on your breed, actually doesn't own that breed and has numerous posts asking for help with the breed that they do have ?

You own a rescue lab that displays more aggressive behaviour in public than i would ever allow any of my Staffords to, and i'm the one being told i'm irrisponsible ?
I could say exatly the same about your knowledge of GSDs.

I'm trying to word this without sounding like i'm being arguementative, so please forgive me if it comes across that way. i'm not

Maybe it is because you do not own the breed ? As i'm sure you are aware after owning a breed for any length of time, you develop a better understanding of that particualr breed. You learn things that you wouldn't have known, learned or maybe even tolerated unless you have spent time with them.

I think most long term Stafford owners become used to the fact that Staffords can be dog aggressive, accept and learn to live with it responsibly. I have grown up with different breeds in the past, i would not say that i have enough of an understanding of them to pass judgement. What i will say is that owning a Stafford, for me was completely different to owning any other breed. Finding yourself doing things differently to other dog owners, such as walking alone, at night, trying to avoid other dog owners just so that there is not an altercation (Even if your dog isn't showing signs of dog aggression, you know it is there) Almost embracing the aggression, although never allowing your dog in a postion where any trouble could be caused (If that makes sense ?) We walk my dogs off lead through farms, with cows, sheep and horses, geese..etc.. and my dogs would not make any attempt to look at them, let alone show any signs of aggression towards them. But if another dog comes sniffing round them, they do not like it. I have no desire to be around other dog walkers. I often see lots of owners walking together, and allowing their dogs to run together. That's fine if that suits you. If i take my dog out i go to spend time with my dog, not talk to someone else

I personally would not want a dog that barked at everyone that came close to my house or showed any signs of "guarding" me my family or my property. That is not what i want in a dog. Which i suppose is lucky that i own Staffords, as they just want to lick everyone I would not suggest that any particular breed have that guarding instinct bred out of it, because postmen...etc.. had been bitten. Yes i understand that stupid people get their hands on Staffords, but the same can be said for most breeds.

EVERYONE has an opinion on Staffords and thinks they have all the answers. More so than any other breed, whetehr they own them or not. I do not know why this is. Not long ago i walked my pup round the bootfair, i was stopped by at least 10 people. Everyone of them wanting to tell me that they knew someone with one, someone told me that he was a crossbreed, and looked at me like i was a complete liar when i told her he wasn't, "because he didn't look like her daughters". I have even been told that if i feed my pups porridge they will develop massive heads when their skull splits.
You seem to be opf the opinion that you and you alone know about SBTs. I grew up mostly with GSDs and Akitas so am well aware of the stigma attached to the ownership of certain breeds. However, we also owned SBTs and I have family who used to breed - having produced pups that went on to become champion (not in this Country but in Spain, Germany and Holland). None of their pups turned out to be DA. Maybe they were just lucky.

But where so many healthy, non-DA dogs (including pups) are pts each day purely because there is no room for them, should a DA SBT end up inthe pound they have very little chance, if any at all, of getting a new home. It's hard enough to assess a dog in kennels anyway but if they are DA and are able to see the dog in the kennel next to them, they will be labelled as aggressive and handed a death sentence. This could all be so easily avoided.
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
bit of a cop out !!
You know what I am asking, I get what you are saying about knowing what the breed is capable of, same can be said of any breed and breed traits, however I do not get why you would want to purposely breed with a DA dog if there was an alternative just as good out there who isnt ?

And lets just clarify DA being mutually hating other dogs, rather than a dog that might occasionally growl or put another dog in its place, which is different entirely,#
#
I agree, I think many of the rescue situations we deal with are people who just simply arent aware of the staffords traits, - not just the dog aggression but the play growl is a classic... " oh my god the dog growled at the baby" and then you discover that in actual fact the dog was in a play bow bum in the air initiating play, or just doing the staffie chat.. But then thats down to where the dogs are coming from - do they actually spend time with the breeders dogs to get to know the traits, or do they just think oh we want a staffie pup and get one on a whim.

Do the "good " breeders make them aware of the staffie chat etc...

I genuinely think many staffies are completely misunderstood by their owners and not necessarily just down to their owners not researching but just the quirks they arent aware of.

Having said that I cannot agree with you if you say that you would purposely choose a dog who is dog aggressive to breed from if there is one that isnt also as an option.. That to me ion this day and age of crisis ultimately does not help....because if it does mean that there is more chance of the pups sired POTENTIALLY being more likely to be DA then its not a chance I would take.

I am not really into breeding/showing etc, my thing is rescue, and in rescue i see lots of fantastic staffies who are not dog aggressive and owning a dog aggressive staffie it is HARD work sometimes, and whilst you might enjoy walking your dog away from others, from my point of view it does not help to get more staffies out of rescue centres if they see more staffies in the park scrapping than loving other dogs !!

Staffies dont have to be dog aggressive or Known as dog aggressive, some can be and yes i do agree they might not start a fight but would finish it, but thats their terrier trait as much as their strength.

I just think its a cop out to say "oh its a breed characteristic" because it isnt really, its just something that can be.. Doesnt mean it should be...

The staffies I know that are "proper " ones some are and some arent DA and to me they are all wonderful proper staffie characters, regardless of their DA status.
No, it wasn't a cop out at all. I was never NOT going to answer you, i have just been busy. What i said about pedigrees, is true. The scenario you have just painted, is never going to happen, there will never be 2 dogs the same. I understand that your question was "hypothetical" but there's really no point in answering it. What i will say, is what i have said previously. I would NOT specifically go looking for a dog aggressive stud dog to use, but if the dog that "I" deemed to be the best stud dog for my bitch was dog aggressive it would not stop me from using it.

Originally Posted by Ollies mum View Post
Have just read through all the replies and am utterly speechless and so angry

Cant believe much of what was posted by Craig and Lorna -especially
"by eliminating dog aggressive dogs from the gene pool you will lose so many good dogs"

Im sorry but
what makes a""good " dog that you refer to?
AND
why the hell would you want adopt a dog aggressive dog-WHY?????

ALso
There are so many NON aggressive staffies put to sleep every day
Why in the name of God ,would you want to add to this number ,by breeding dog aggressive staffies?

Who do you home them to?
Who is going to give them a loving home?
-NOT the ordinary family who is trying to accept that staffies are a loving faimly pet-which is what we are all trying to convince people

NO - it will be the scum bags who WANT an aggressive staffy- as a status symbol
you only have to walk the streets today to see that and I pity those dogs so much

Many of these are advertised on the internet with absolutely NO check on the homes they go to,because the people who sell them dont give **** about who takes them -they are only interested in the £ s d of it all
( showing my age now)-

just trying to lighten this a little as I am SO frustrated by what is happening ,day in and day out in this so called "animal loving" country
(My daughter ,Jane,has a rescue staffy ,Daisy,who absolutely HATES other dogs)
She was a stray so we have no info on her background

I was disappointed that SHE WAS D.A.
I visualised walking our dogs ( now "dog" as we lost our collie cross Lulu in January) with Daisy

Given the choice I know Jane would have wanted a non aggressive dog-she is now restricted as to where she can walk Daisy
Yet Daisy is the most loving laid back dog you could wish for

Why would you want a dog aggressive Daisy?
Who does that make happier-certainly not my daughter and certainly not Daisy!!!!!!!!

A friend I made through another forum site-who now posts on here lost her dog in April
-we" met" because we both had lost our dogs -me in January and her in April

She has now adopted a lovely female rescue staffy -
she debated LONG and hard about doing this and we E mailed each other every day about what she should do

I told he about Daisy and how she HATED other dogs as I knew that SHE would want a dog she could walk and in that way be able to meet other dog owners

Her new dog has proved to be great with all the dogs she has met and she has brought such great JOY to my friend who has now accepted that SHE is able to give the love she had so much of to another poor dog ,who was waiting for HE to come along

So my question remains
-why on earth would you want to add to the ever increasing and horrifying numbers of staffies in rescues by breeding????????

Oh and by the way I have worked for 10 years in Rescue many sleepless night
(and this was before the staffie problem we have now)
Maureen
If you have sat and read through all of the posts, you will i'm sure be aware that i have already answered most of the points that you have made.

I have no intentions of adopting any dog, so if that question was directed at me, i'm not too sure why ?

I have also made the pojnt that i do not feel that i am adding to the number of Staffords in rescue, and why !

Who do i home pups that i have bred with ?...... Responsible owners that i feel understand what they are taking on and will be responsible enough to cope with the demands of owning a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Not someone who will be surprised in 18 months time that their dog/bitch has become dog aggressive and now wants to rehome him/her. Should they not be the owners that i thought, and decide they no longer want the dog/bitch. I will happily take him/her back.

Who is going to give them a loving home. NOT the ordinary family who is trying to accept that staffies are a loving faimly pet-which is what we are all trying to convince people ?
.... See above, what do you mean NOT the ordinary family ? Any pup i have ever bred lives within an ordinary family. Their family just has an understanding that there is the potential for their dog to no tolerate other dogs when he/she matures. They are all loving family pets !

Are you suggesting that i only home any pups i have bred with scumbags too ?

I agree with what you say about alot of dogs being sold on the net (Again if you had read all of the posts in this thread, you will see that i have already said as much) For the record, any pups that we have bred have ONLY ever been advertised on 1 site, that requires an annual membership, KC registration documents and asks the health status of both parents. Although reservations have been taken before, we can never guarantee anyone anything because i do not know how many or what sex i will want to keep for myself until they reach a certain age.

YOU were dissapointed that your daughters dog was dog aggressive, because you wanted to do things that you should have known are not always possible with owning a Stafford ? Maybe if you had been given the right advice on the breed, you wouldn't have taken a Stafford, and would have considered something more suitable to your wants and needs ?

Again to your last question about me adding to the rescue numbers..... I do not believe i do ! I have and will continue to donate to Stafford rescue !

Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Mother and daughter staff I know and love in rescue have just got a new home , but imagine that, even though the daughters da mother and daughter and perfect together.
I am very glad that 2 dogs have now found homes.. I hope that homing a known dog aggressive dog with it's mother does not come back to bite the rescue in the behind ! A dog can decide that it does not want to be around it's sire/dam just as easily as it can decide that it does not want to be around any other dog. Now THAT would be really irrisponsible !
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Stumpywop...

I did apologise for using the German Shepherd as an example so often, and maybe i should have used a different example.

My Staffords do not bark and try to defend their property

I wasn't trying to suggest that German Shepherds are the only dog that can display guarding instincts (Apologies if it came across that way) My point was that they can and do display "guarding behaviour" not that they were specifically a "guard dog".

I'm also not trying to imply that i have a vast knowlege of the German Shepherd. They are used by police forces across the world, and they excell in protection work. (Along with a few other breeds) Thus giving them the impression of having "guarding instincts"

Although i suspect you now exacrtly the point i was trying to make.

I do not wish to turn this into a German shepherd "Guarding" thread, so i will not use them as an example again
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I know several GOOD SBT breeders, whose dogs do well at shows & whose dogs temperaments fit the BS exactly & who do all the health tests.

Nowhere in the BS is DA a requirement & in fact in line with the current"fit for function"etc instructions to judges dogs showing DA in the ring should NOT be placed in the same way a nervous dog should not be placed.

One of my close friends(before poor health affected him)was a top breeder of Bull Terriers & judge of both Bullies & SBTs. His own Bullies always had the correct temperaments & characters as their BS requires

even at a time when many had dreadful temperaments(both DA & Fear Aggression). He would never put up a SBT that displayed DA or Fear Aggression in the ring(He was a Championship Show Judge in both breeds). He had over 40 years experience of both SBT & Bullies & did forecast the deterioration in the temperament of SBT in the show ring & elsewhere long before it was perceived as a problem
Great ! Maybe you could let us in on who they are ? Are you suggesting that they hip and elbow score aswell ?
Bump, just incase you miseed this ?
BUMP, just incase you missed this again ?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Mother and daughter are great together, they are only two and three, but are like two peas in a pod, mum is probally what Staffy breeders would prefer, short and stocky girl, beutiful red, daughter is more leggy, more slim and brindle, more like what I've found most pet owners (myself included) prefer, mum loves everyone, and is so piggy when she gets excited, comes running over happy as larry and gets on with other dogs, daughter is happy to meet anyone, I tried to get a pic yesterday got knocked over , and will accept dogs in the other kennels most of the time, and will ignore others unless they step into her personal space, which can be a very big space, then she's totally different, but mother and daughter love each other, and will share beds, and have to be stopped eating out of the same bowl. Gotta love pairs like that, and will miss them loads after they've been spayed, but they are not rare, nor is their relationship.
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Mother and daughter are great together, they are only two and three, but are like two peas in a pod, mum is probally what Staffy breeders would prefer, short and stocky girl, beutiful red, daughter is more leggy, more slim and brindle, more like what I've found most pet owners (myself included) prefer, mum loves everyone, and is so piggy when she gets excited, comes running over happy as larry and gets on with other dogs, daughter is happy to meet anyone, I tried to get a pic yesterday got knocked over , and will accept dogs in the other kennels most of the time, and will ignore others unless they step into her personal space, which can be a very big space, then she's totally different, but mother and daughter love each other, and will share beds, and have to be stopped eating out of the same bowl. Gotta love pairs like that, and will miss them loads after they've been spayed, but they are not rare, nor is their relationship.
I really do hope that they and their new owners live happy lives together !

I'm sure that you were responsible enough to make sure that their new owners were aware that the dog aggression that the daughter displays, "could" also be shown to her mother at some point. just making the owners aware is half of the battle.

ETA: I have just re-read that and it sounds as if i am trying to talk down to you, i'm not

I know what you mean about trying to take pictures, i usually end up on my backside smothered in mud, with hundreds of pictures of tongues and tails !
Page 17 of 18 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 >