Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 09:20 AM
my son has a friend who only eats sarnies!!! never eats hot meals
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Yep frozen food is definitley cheaper like you say Dani. Kyles mum bought chicken kievs, chips, vienetta ice cream, fish and a chicken pie in Iceland for £5 I bought some fresh chicken breast for the same....not that I am complaining right enough as I have said before I only eat fresh and the benefits are enormous but I dont believe fresh is cheaper.

Mince & tatties is my favourite meal of all...mmmmmmmm
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Inca
my son has a friend who only eats sarnies!!! never eats hot meals
Wow, nothing else just sandwiches? You would think he would get bored after a while, too much of a good thing & all that :smt078 .
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 09:27 AM
When I mentioned the lad who threw up you did not actually see the boy, the one that spewed cause he was crying so much was different.

Jamie was in a paediatricians office talking to him and the doctor explained he had seen a child in who threw up excrement because he did not have sufficient (whatever it is that does this job) to push it through his body so basically she spewed up ****.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Laura
Wow, nothing else just sandwiches? You would think he would get bored after a while, too much of a good thing & all that :smt078 .
nope just sarnies ........ i have had him here for dinner many times he just has a ham or marmite sarnie....i rang his mum and she said thats all he will eat ...........shame i reckon
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 09:38 AM
You wonder how he gets like that?

My sister has anorexia and spent 3 years in hospital when she was about 15 because her weight had dropped to 3 stone, anyway one of the girls she met lived on yhogurt and nothing else because she had choked on a piece of bacon and ever since she had a fear of eating anything that wasnt able to slide down the throat. That I can understand, that poor boy, you wonder if something has happened somewhere along the line to get him like this as clearly that is not normal.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 09:44 AM
my kids eat a varied diet and i have 2 who have school dinners and 2 who dont its been their choice. 3 of my kids will eat anything all veg,pasta,meat fish but one very faddy so and so. he wille at some fish and any fruit or meat so we do the best we can for him but it isnt easy. i do allow my kids sweets crisps and biscuits but everything in moderation. they go to mcdonalds every now and again and i dont think it does them any harm. none of my kids are over weight and the only one who is ill is the faddy one my other 3 never even get colds etc. i think the key to everything is everything in moderation. i cant be doing with these people who dont let their kids have anything! all of my kids have friends who are not allowed anything non organinc nothing with any additives or sugars etc and its not for medical reasons but their own ideas of whats best. it is harsh to force your kids to be completely different from everyone else as you are handing them on a plate to bullies then . we had a child round at the weekend who isnt allowed anything and my kids allw anted an icecream at the park and i had to say no as this boy isnt allowed ice cream and i felt so guilty!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-03-2005, 09:59 AM
What our children eat is very important, a lot seem to go to school without breakfast which is really bad for them, so they do need a good healthy lunch . Many of their parents do not seem to know how to cook which is not really their fault if they have never been taught, they have no skills or passion for food to hand on to their children . When I went to school the meals were good Roast and fish pie being the best and I was taught to cook everything from scratch by an amazing teacher "Mrs True" every girl who went to our school could cook for a family. I think we have totally lost our way with food, in a rush to make everyone academically brilliant and improve school league tables we have abandoned teaching one of the fundamental skills, how to cook and eat well, one of the great pleasures in life and not just a means of fuelling our bodies. Teaching children what they are eating, how to cook properly and eat well should be given high priority. As I see it the problem now with school meals is not just what the children will or will not eat, but speed and what is cheapest in labour cost i.e. reheating cheap food rather than cooking it from scratch . You can cook very well, healthily and cheaply but you need to know how to do it and what to use and I guess the people responsible for school meals don't know how to do it themselves. My own children and those I have looked after will eat anything, they were never fed tasteless baby food but the same as adults good fresh food including all vegetables liquidised or chopped . I too had little money but employed the skills learnt at school using cheaper cuts of meat like shin, oxtail, ham hocks to make things like soups and stews with fresh vegetables pearl barley and herb dumplings, granary bread and pies and puddings with fruit I had picked and frozen some free from the hedgerow you just need to be taught how to do it .
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 10:16 AM
i am crap at cooking! no one ever taught me to cook. I learnt how to cook roast dinner by watching my mum one day. I cant really cook anything from scratch, so usually we eat whatever meat i choose with veg and potato. I would have no idea how to make pasta sauce from scratch for example. Im even confused on how to make spaghetti bolognese! lol, my dad laughed at me when i said that, but if ur not taught how, u dont know how!

i still eat healthy nearly evryday tho.!

at my old place of work, at a polo club, the owner has 4 kids, the 2 girls are soooo fat! the youngest is 6 i think and her belly rolls over her trousers and she walks around in skimpy tops, mini skirts, high heels, nail extensions the lot! if she dosnt get chicken nuggest and chips for every meal she has a tantrum and gets it in the end anyway! I always remember her comin into the kitchen loading herself a bowl full of icecream! i can see why shes fat, but its neglegence (sp?) from the parents who allow her to do wot she wants cos its easier to give in than deal with a kid havin a tantrum.

re: the boy who only eats sandwiches, that cant be good for him? as some of u know my mum is ill, and all her carers were feeding her were frickin sandwiches, and all her teeth have rotted cos of the poor diet shes on. I think diet is more important than people realise, not jus for weight purposes but for general wellbeing
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-03-2005, 11:16 AM
I think it is a very sad day indeed when it takes a celebrity chef to show a nation and a government how to feed children correctly.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >