Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2005, 10:51 AM

Piercings

I went to an open evening at my daughters dance class on thursday and my daughter was telling me that alot of the girls had their belly buttons pierced, these kids are only 12!

I personally think that it should be illegal for kids to have this done until they are at least 16, I had mine done at 30 and it took a looooooong time to heal and alot of cleaning, most teenagers find it a chore just to wash their hands!

What do you think?
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Here, you have to be 18 or have a parent's signature to be pierced.

Personally, having several, I figure 15/16 is a good age. I didn't start until I was 25 but thought each one out figuring they'd grow back if I didn't want them. I also didn't get anything visible so I wouldn't be sorry when I was 80. I don't think younger kids have that kind of thought process. Because the guages are thicker than normal earrings the holes take much longer to close...if ever. I see these kids with eyebrows and lips and other facial piercings and I think what happens when they want a job? Are they going to walk around with piercings to interviews or holes in their faces? LOL!
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

19-03-2005, 12:45 PM
I thought you had to be 18 before you could get a body piercing. I used to have my eyebrow pierced and I went to job interviews with it in - it never stopped me getting jobs.
poppyandpals
Dogsey Junior

19-03-2005, 01:11 PM
In the UK you have to be 16 to get your ears done or 18 for any where else. My partner has 3 eyebrow piercings and 9 ear piercings and he worked in an office - you can get clear eyebrow piercings to keep the holes open without them having to be seen (not that Matt used them). He also has various tattoos and is planning alot more. Im afraid im a wimp lol and only have my ears done (which i did myself with a kit).

No way would my kids be getting piercings at 12, they are going to have to wait until they are 16 just to get their ears done to make sure they really want them.

And can i just this is rubbish "most teenagers find it a chore just to wash their hands!
We arent all that irresponcible
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Poppyandpals, I said most teenagers not all

In the UK you have to be 16 to get your ears done or 18 for any where else
This isn't true, you can take new born babies here to have their ears pierced! :-0 and your belly button can be pierced too at a young age with your parents consent
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

19-03-2005, 01:23 PM
My mum always said I had to wait till I was 16 bfore I could get my ears pierced - as soon as I hit 16 I went out and got my ears nose and tongue done - I think my mum probably wished she had just let me had my ears done earlier
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Funny this came up!!
I've just taken Molly 6 to have hers pierced.
She has asked for ages to have it done, and I was worried about it, but as she was telling me all her friends have had it done for ages (and I have to admit they all had) I finally let her have hers done.
metalmorphosis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I used to be a piercer and unfortunately, nipple and genital piercings aside, there is no legal limit. Most studios say either 16+ for facial and body piercings, 18+ for genital...or just 18+ for everything.

Navel piercings as you mentioned are one of the hardest to heal, often taking a year. It is ridiculous to do such a piercing on pre-pubescent kids as growth will more often than not cause it to migrate. Really not a great choice of piercing for the average kid anyway because it's not an easy one to heal, the healing time and aftercare but seems to be a popular one anyway
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-03-2005, 03:28 PM
genital piercings, Ouch :smt102 :smt102 :smt102
metalmorphosis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Haha, once you have one, you'll never go back!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »