Female 

27-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Looks great! Mine is getting there very slowly
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Thanks Nat, you are really lucky having your Dad as a builder for sure!!! The good ones are far and few between. But let's hope, you never know.

Steve, that's a brilliant idea, if only we had thought of this to begin with, the wood has already arrived Maybe we can get cedar decking or something - decking is not being done this time round.

Although i love working with Cedar,i wouldnt use it for decking-its too soft and dents easily (despite being classed as a hardwood).How about having furniture made from it!

Decking wise-you cannot beat timber species like 'Iroco' or 'Balau' because its colour looks so natural once weathered and only requires coat of decking oil every few years.It can be expensive,but with care-will last around 40-50 years.Green English oak will last forever,but is a right pain in the @ss to work with and dulls cutting blades everso quickly.Oak eventually weathers to a silver/grey colour and needs nothing to preserve it due to being so damn hard!

Try these peeps for hardwood decking-its where mine came from! They wont sell direct,but will point you to one of their distributors.

http://www.timbmet.com/html/index.php
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Steve it's brilliant!!

We were lucky with our sleepers, a friend of ours has got us new green oak sleepers for £15 a piece 2.5m long - really happy with this price for sure

Starting to panic a wee bit with the timing though - 6 days away now till wee rascal arrives and the ground floor is covered in wood shavings and tools while we try to secure and build units to contain everything in....and the garden....

The grass I think is the worst news of all because you aren't allowed to walk on it for 2 weeks, so I will be balancing myself on the concrete while keeping Fern on the side to do his business If only they could have come sooner but it rained all week last week here.

Thanks for advising not to use cedar on the floor, wouldn't have had a clue really LOL My fav wood is oak - it's divine, maybe, maybe
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 04:35 PM
It looks stunning are you going to fit lights to "highlight" the plants.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-08-2005, 04:52 PM
That looks really lovely, lovely garden would like one like that myself
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 05:48 PM
wow, very nice!!...It's like one of those gardens they come and design for you on tv!...Did you have Charlie Dimmock round to help!!

It really look amazing...and that grass is lovely, almost false looking....

Fern will like it...hehehe!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 05:56 PM
HI Mys... that's probably because it is false the picture is not real - it's a 3d image of our garden which is being landscaped from tomorrow onwards

Now if I showed you what it really looked like

OH and I designed it, OH did the 3d
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Absolutely gorgeous! Can you come and design my garden? Pleeease.....
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz
It looks stunning are you going to fit lights to "highlight" the plants.

Kind of, we're going to be using shepherds crooks that plunge into the soil and have glass and metal lanterns that hang from them - will pop candles inside to get a nice kind of Long Island beach feel to the garden - without the beach unfortunately
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 07:26 PM
LOL You are too kind Miss Potter

Originally Posted by Miss Potter
Absolutely gorgeous! Can you come and design my garden? Pleeease.....
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >