Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 11:52 AM

Well what can I say..

I have found a good walk, my OH has known about it for ages but says that it was a boring walk.

But after a mile down the road there is a hilly woodland with pea gravel paths then a huge field, I saw one dog walker in the hour that I have been gone, and a gorgeous, friendly staffie, Bruno. As with all new walks I just take Sadie as I know I can depend on her 100% to behave and as I didn't know what was up there I didn't want to find a lake with ducks and have Louie at the vets again cos he's gone in after them and got an ear infection.

So I got talking to Bruno's owner and she said that in the 2 years she'd been walking up there she's hardly seen a soul...so we now have somewhere we can let Benjie off an not worry about a dog appearing from no where - except Bruno of course and as it is a pretty empty and isolated place - I have somewhere to take Louie on the long line and practice recall. So after a quick sit down, something to eat and a drink I am going back up there with Louie then same again with Benjie, of course that's if it doesn't get dark soon tonight which it looks like it will. But Sadie has had a good hours walk/run/roll in mud and has racked up a good couple of miles

And my OH said it was boring up there - I bet he's never been up there
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 12:47 PM
my OH is like that. i love going different places with the dogs and im quite lucky in the fact that i can let them off anywhere and theyre good around other dogs etc.
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Do you ever get worried about going somewhere really isolated just incase someone is lurking around?
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by beau View Post
Do you ever get worried about going somewhere really isolated just incase someone is lurking around?
I do, so I prefer to go to those places with a friend or my hubbie. Axel would be a rubbish deterrant in terms of barking or anything.

Glad you've found a new walk! I love finding exciting places to visit and what's boring to one person is a haven to someone else
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:02 PM
yes i do! especially because im only a small girl and its not like i have a big dog which may put some people off.... somehow i dont think anyone would be scared of a crested

ive actually been on one of my regular walks and seen a van, at the end of the path, and where i live there is no one around.. i saw it on the estate before i set off then it appeared at the end of this walk. even though it could of been nothing i wouldnt risk it, turned around and started walking back, where i phoned my neighbour (big strapping bloke ) and he met me with his dog (a toy poodle ) and walked me back just to be on the safe side.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:19 PM
When you have one dog that has already protected you from a drunken man coming up to you and putting his hand on your shoulder - he was a harmless man who was simply trying to ask the time.. and another one who although only a pup had a deafening bark that sounds like a mastiff and holds his ground whilst standing in front of you - gas men came and he didn't like the look of them and one who is stranger aware and will bite any stranger who comes close - urm no - I'm fine

Ever since I was 11 - I have walked Sadie, 8 years now, so I'm pretty safe with her, she's not a big dog but knows how to protect you.
All 3 also gang up on my OH when we play fight - they bark and growl and jump up at him until we give them a command - so I know I'm pretty safe with them.

The walk wasn't so isolated it was just at the back of some factories and also was surrounded by a housing estate - but pretty quiet.

Just got back from taking Louie - OMG his tail never stopped wagging - I was scared he was going to take off! He loved it - and he was allowed to chase the birds through the brush - he's not normally allowed as he usually runs into a fence or into a frozen lake. but none of that here - so he was allowed

Benjie and I are going to go up with the OH tomorrow - it's getting dark now so he'll have the usual walk with my OH when he gets back. Shame really, Benjie is a good walker but when he sees a dog he's terrible

Clo - we have miseries as OH's then
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Uggghm, thanks for that!!

Even though my gsd has done personal protection training, I am always very aware of who is around. I walk in very isolated places at times and it would not be a good situation to be in if i had to rely on my gsd to defend me.
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Was going to ask where about this lovely walk is, as noticed you also live in Nottingham... but then you might find the whole of Dogsey turns up and ruins it for you
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Avani View Post
Was going to ask where about this lovely walk is, as noticed you also live in Nottingham... but then you might find the whole of Dogsey turns up and ruins it for you
It's in Mansfield - I'm moving to Notts this year though. And Dogsey could never ruin it - I'm now always thinking ever dog person I meet could be off Dogsey

It was in Huthwaite at the top of common road near the A38 near the new estate.

But if you want a good walk in Notts - try Bestwood Country park - watch out for the horses and also Mill Lakes - thats a nice walk
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 05:23 PM
My Grandma asks me this all the time and when my Mum has come on a walk with me she'll say "it's a bit lonely round here, you ought to be careful" but the more isolated the better IMO, that way we can enjoy a stress free walk.

Nobody could lurk around undetected with Flynn about. I think i've spoken about this in another thread but absolutely nothing gets past his senses. He only has to catch a whiff of a person he cannot see or spot a person who appears dodgy to him amongst the trees for example and he'll start barking. If i'm pre-occupied, perhaps looking for good branches for the bird cage then Flynn will stand guard and alert me if anybody approaches.

I moan about his reactivity and his barking but in scenarios like this he really is fantastic. I can be absolutely sure when I take the dogs out that nobody will be able to approach undetected. The dogs have never had to protect me but I dont think they'd stand by and do nothing (illustrated one dark night when a small gang of youths on the path suddenly started messing about in front of me and Jed and Flynn both started up. Good job they were on lead really).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >