Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2011, 08:35 PM

Can you believe this reply!

I have been doing some research for my canine psychology project i'm doing on the differences between positive based reward training and old school alpha dog theory.

I just came across this comment on a different forum, I was quite shocked and a little oh my gosh.. Please don't tell me this person actually listened to this advice.
The dog they were discussing was actually a pekinese x Chihuhuha so not a tiger... but you still don't want it acting aggressive.

This is the question that was written, They were actually seeking genuine help, so read it and then tell me what you think on the answer that was given. Spot the flaws... Funny, the person never wrote back and updated.... I just hope she didn't listen. I'm quite bias, i don't like old school alpha dog training. Hence why i'm finding this assignment quite an interesting one...

- I have a 10 month old neutered chihuahua/pekingese, Mufasa. He has started showing food and toy aggression towards me lately. I found him in a box on the side of the road when he was about 4 months old, so I don't know anything about his history. If I take one of his toys or something he's chewing on that he shouldn't away, or if I take his food away, he bites me; he's small, so he doesn't do any damage, though. I've never had this problem with any of my other dogs, so I really don't know what to do. What can I do to stop his aggression?

Answer Given-

He is showing you that he is the Alpha dog. I think that you should take charge and show Mufasa that you are the alpa dog in your little pack. Begin by getting someting to eat that you can share with him. When you offer him some, put the back of your hand towards him with the food hidden in your palm. Tell him "GENTLE", and if he is gentle give it to him and tell him he is a good boy. If he is aggressive about it, do not give it to him. Then give him a bone, toy or some food. Take it away and say "GENTLE-GIVE" at the same time. If he gets aggressive, stare at him, growl at him, and show him your teeth in a nipping/snapping motion like dogs do to each other. If he does not back off, growl louder, roll him over on his back and hold him softly by his throat, while glaring into his eyes. Do not break eye contact, stare at him until he looks away, then let him up and say "Good Gentle, Mustafa". You may have to repeat it a few times until he gets the idea that you are his Alpha dog. This is the way they treat each other in a pack. It is usually all threats and very seldom does anyone get hurt. Since he nips at you he is being excessively aggressive and really thinks he is in charge. Give it a go and let me know how it works out for you. Wear gloves if you must, so you won't get hurt. Please leave me some feedback, nominations if you wish, and let me know how things go. The only rewards we get for volunteering so many hours a day at this site is to know we have made a difference in the lives of people and their pets. Keep me posted please, you can simply repost a follow up. I would really appreciate it. I really care about how the two of you make out. Thanks. Regards, Susan
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 09:16 PM

Oh, the prospect of some bimbo on all fours, maniacally growling at her chi-peeki-poo - wearing gauntlets.
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Geese......
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 10:06 PM
OMG laughable really and if that had been a large breed VERY dangerous!

The OP gave a huge clue for why he is acting like this in her post, she found him in a box on the street at 4 months. He spent his fomative months on the street learning to guard his resouces so of course he is going to keep doing it its what kept him alive before.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
LOL----sad.

Can you write another suggestion for her?

rune
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Oh, the prospect of some bimbo on all fours, maniacally growling at her chi-peeki-poo - wearing gauntlets.
There are times when I REALLY wish I could draw or paint or something....

I always want the people who recommend this sort of thing to be 5ft tall, weigh about 90lbs and try this with a 200lb aggressive mastiff or something. No muzzle or protective clothing allowed.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Do you think its for real?
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Omg all i can say is 'susan' is an idiot
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
OMG laughable really and if that had been a large breed VERY dangerous!

The OP gave a huge clue for why he is acting like this in her post, she found him in a box on the street at 4 months. He spent his fomative months on the street learning to guard his resouces so of course he is going to keep doing it its what kept him alive before.
My thoughts exactly, they will be lucky not to have their face bitten doing this!! Good job it isn't a large breed
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Good God! if I tried getting on all fours (not that I'm physically able to) and growling at Zane he'd jump on me to play. Wonder if she'd try it with either of my 2 big male GSDs?

Also wonder if "Susan" has ever taken her own advice or just dishes out this garbage to people who really need help.

Have you posted anythign ont eh forum or sent a PM to the person concerned so they know not to follow through with it?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >