Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by flow-wolf View Post
Flow wasnt bounding at anyone!!!
She was running over the field to get to the other side,all she did was brush the women's leg.

dont think ill start another thread on here again
dont worrie hun.... I think there has just been to many people answer this thread with perfect dogs so far..

ok the dog could have been more under control.

but that doesnt excuse there actions.. shes bloody lucky it wasnt me and my dogs...

Im sure they were just smart assed nasty people..you were unlucky it was you and your dog..
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
dont worrie hun.... I think there has just been to many people answer this thread with perfect dogs so far..
Not perfect (by a long shot ) but maybe who have been in similar situations and learnt from them.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
ok the dog could have been more under control.

but that doesnt excuse there actions.. shes bloody lucky it wasnt me and my dogs...

Im sure they were just smart assed nasty people..you were unlucky it was you and your dog..
Very true.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
So.. how come if someone asks on here who was in the wrong when an off lead dog attacks their dog..they are told the off lead dog??

I am damn sure if my dogs got into a fight with an offlead dog it wouldn't be my dogs fault because they are on a lead and under control..

If I was attacked by a dog off lead..then its out of control..

If I was attacked by a dog on a lead then the owner isn't in control..

My dogs are worked but are still actually tethered to something that I am in control of..so I am not sure where they working part comes in..
You said illegal - not at fault. There is a difference. I`m talking about gundogs, herding dogs, sniffer dogs, trials dogs, search and rescue dogs, dogs used for beating, patrolling dogs, PAT dogs etc. Try doing some of that on lead! Exactly where did anyone get attacked! Talk about over-reacting!!!!!!!!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Isn't it odd that everyone seems to have such perfect dogs and yet when out and about we all encounter dogs with many different issues but certainly far from perfect.
In hindsight I'm sure the OP may have handled the situation differently, but she didn't have that luxury.
I wouldn't get violent with the woman I really don't see the point, but she would certainly have felt the lash of my tongue. I don't think for a second she was scared of the dog or she wouldn't have grabbed it. Generally you don't have to grab a dog to get it's attention anyway, even if it is charging straight at you, and turning and running is insane. If she'd just stepped forward in an assertive manner and told it to back off 99% of dogs would.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Chris_Collins View Post
Hey im not defending their actions, but I dont think you get how intimidating it is to have a dog bounding across a field full whack to get to YOU.
It was my understanding from the original post that the dog was going PAST these people. I don`t really see what that has to do with a dog attacking you? Are you suggesting that dogs should not be allowed near people?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Should people who don't have dogs be aware of thier body language? If a dog is running across a field close enough to touch someone does that not imply the dog is running towards the person?

Again....I DO NOT think the person who hit the dog acted in a reasonable manner at all - and I would also have shouted....but past expericence has taught me to steer clear of people who don't have dogs when mine are loose.

I truely hope it does not happen again.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Are you suggesting that dogs should not be allowed near people?
I don't think that it is unreasonable to keep your dog away from people while out in public, unless that person says its ok or their body language is positive. Tolerance is required on BOTH sides.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't think that it is unreasonable to keep your dog away from people while out in public, unless that person says its ok or their body language is positive. Tolerance is required on BOTH sides.
I prefer mine not to go too close to people, and call them back if they do, but would not be very calm if someone hit one of them,I don't believe in violence although would make an exception if someone did anything to my animals, dogs or cats.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
So - explain this to me because it doesn`t make sense-
if people with dogs are in an open space, like a park and someone is walking on the same path towards us what would you like them to do? Bearing in mind that some of us walk in fairly well-used areas and this will happen on a pretty regular basis. Just interested.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 02:44 PM
but would not be very calm if someone hit one of them,I don't believe in violence although would make an exception if someone did anything to my animals, dogs or cats.
I don't believe in violence at all...in fact, I cannot stand ANY negativity in dog training - it makes me positively sick. But BECAUSE there are so many horrible, twisted people out there, people that will not hesitate to use their fists, I do my damn best NOT to put my dog in that type of situation. The answer is not letting him go near people who don't welcome it.
Page 7 of 21 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »