View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
infamousinuits
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2008, 07:57 AM
sorry to heay what you went through aswell magpye. The RSPCA havnt been round yet though im pretty much sure they will be coming. We thought we got on with the neighbours aswell because we had been talking to them untill they finally switched. We had even been around to all the pubs because i was puttting up some busin ess advertising for the photography. They took leaflets fine with a smile. its just behind our backs they come out evil. i havnt even checked if the leaflets are still there. We dont drink so we never go to the pub.
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-08-2008, 08:07 AM
God, what a depressing thread this is, how can people be so idiotic? youngstevie, I'm so sorry people can behave like that, I must live with my head in the sand because I didn't think that kind of thing happened anymore.

My family were once reported to the RSPCA for mistreating our Lab, we lived at least a mile from anyone but the house was huge and my father was the towns major employer and this caused alot of resentment. My mum was totally motified and was always worried after that that people thought we mistreated our dog. One christmas eve I found the guy who was causing all the trouble wondering our back garden in the dark, it was about 11pm at night and we are well away from any roads so it was a bit of a surprise. Our dog had been stolen once before and we lost him for 3 weeks before he made his way back so I have a good idea what this guy was doing standing next to our kennels at 11pm. I hit him really hard with a rake and he had to go to hospital for the night. I explained to the plice when they arrived that I couldn't see who it was in the dark and was surprised by this figure, he may have had a shotgun after all.

Between you and me, it wasn't that dark and I knew who it was
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Human beings like to point out differences in newcomers and outsiders....it is a natural way to reflect that they are all part of their communities norm (whatever that is, and may not be intrinsically good). It is often the case in work environments too...those with differences are singled out, the differences magnified, and they may be sidelined. It is a well known phenomenon and may be capitalised on by employers to foster a strong team spirit amongst the remaining staff - fine if that individual is happy to play the role - not fine if it is vindictive.

I am not excusing the reception you have had at all, but some UK communities can be incredibly parochial, taking a long time to 'accept' outsiders. Rural communities are often very conservative anyway, while those on the fringes of a metropolis may actually feel more under threat from perceived change than a more isolated place.

As C&D said the personal breaking down of barriers slowly, one by one, is the most effective. How about volunteering in a local activity or group each week? Maybe something to do with village hall or environment? Or joining a society that is established already where you have an interest; helping run a dog club; or even start a camera club with an emphasis on taking natural history images? Don't despair, there will be some people you can win over but it will take some time and probably a lot of effort on your behalf.

HTH

Mary
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by deez View Post
the landlord (although a biggot) is ok ish. try to find out off him who the top bullies are, and kill them with kindness- keep your enemies closer as they say. and you go out of your way to be sickly nice, like saying 'if theres anything we can do for you, just ask, we'd like to become active members of the community'
I think deez has a good point here, confrontation and rowdy arguments are probably what these people are looking for and if they can provoke you into throwing the first punch that's even better (for them) 'cos then their Police pals can arrest you and haul you away to the nick.

TBH I would look around and see if you can find a few people your age and talk to them, they will be very cool to start of with, but if you can do them a favour they will likely warm to you and then you can start to build a relationship. Also don't let the Northerners wind you up, the're famous for doing that

As to vandalising your car, or doing something to your dogs, well that is just plain criminal and the Police must react to that. I do hope and believe that law abiding citizens (Whatever their view on people from down south with funny accents and tattoos) would not resort to such things.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Don't despair, there will be some people you can win over but it will take some time and probably a lot of effort on your behalf.
HTH
Mary
Yes, please don't let a few comments by people put you off the whole community. IMO the more moderate people will be the last ones to push themselves in front of you.

Just a thought, is there an infants school in the village If there is why not pop in and speak to the teacher and say you'd like to do some photos of the kids (A play, or singing, or something like that) offer to give one free print to the parents (if they agree) and you might get to meet a few of them and can build a better picture of the village as a whole.

It does seem to me that you've only met a couple of the more irksome locals, and there's always a few of those wherever you go.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
I in turn quietly wind them up by not mowing my front lawn very often and planting garish flowers in every patch of free dirt I have. I also planted... topiary! They hate the topiary!
Is that where you trim a hedge to resemble a bird or something If it is I would think you're next 'topiary' subject ought to be a gigantic 'V' sign
infamousinuits
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Good idea about the camera club thing. there isnt one local. for some reason i have to travel to sheffield for that!
infamousinuits
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2008, 12:08 PM
anyone interested in a big walk meet up type thing with us and some of our dogs? it can be as long or as short as you like through a nice little bit of countryside. And if anyone wanted to learn anything about dog photography while theyre here i can teach you. I was thinking maybe next weekend? can i make a seperate post for this somewhere?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by kingbenny View Post
God, what a depressing thread this is, how can people be so idiotic? youngstevie, I'm so sorry people can behave like that, I must live with my head in the sand because I didn't think that kind of thing happened anymore.

My family were once reported to the RSPCA for mistreating our Lab, we lived at least a mile from anyone but the house was huge and my father was the towns major employer and this caused alot of resentment. My mum was totally motified and was always worried after that that people thought we mistreated our dog. One christmas eve I found the guy who was causing all the trouble wondering our back garden in the dark, it was about 11pm at night and we are well away from any roads so it was a bit of a surprise. Our dog had been stolen once before and we lost him for 3 weeks before he made his way back so I have a good idea what this guy was doing standing next to our kennels at 11pm. I hit him really hard with a rake and he had to go to hospital for the night. I explained to the plice when they arrived that I couldn't see who it was in the dark and was surprised by this figure, he may have had a shotgun after all.

Between you and me, it wasn't that dark and I knew who it was
It still goes on Hun....Gary has since taken on Dillon a beautiful BC.....so I did speak to his neighbour and said '''Don't even go there''' otherwise he'll have me to deal with and I can be the himself
Originally Posted by infamousinuits View Post
anyone interested in a big walk meet up type thing with us and some of our dogs? it can be as long or as short as you like through a nice little bit of countryside. And if anyone wanted to learn anything about dog photography while theyre here i can teach you. I was thinking maybe next weekend? can i make a seperate post for this somewhere?
Sorry wouldn't be able to make it as will be meeting the Scotland bunch then...............but another time why not xxxxxxxx
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by infamousinuits View Post
Love to.. but alas think you're too far away for me!

Oh and the topiary is a simple two ball tree, but I like the idea of trimming a big V sign on the top

Neighbours gripe of the day: Kismet is 'staring' at them through the front window and it scared their grandson. (She loves to do this, I'll get a photo... she doesn't bark, just looks through the window and glares disapprovingly at any who pass by, personally I think it's adorable). I said I'd have a word with her about it when I got in. I did... She gave me a stare.. it scared me, so I think I'll leave her to it
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 38 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »