Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
And thats the breeders I prefer to go to.. those whose puppies get homes through word of mouth or people referring you to them or just plain old research pointing you towards them
Same here. The breeder I have my eyes on is expecting a litter soon and has only just put it up on their own site that they are expecting pups. I was told through word of mouth that they had a bitch in pup this month before it even went up on their site and i'm not even in the breed yet. I know they had a 'left over' pup (i.e. one that wasn't already booked, I think they had a litter of 13) in their last litter but they still didn't need to advertise as a lot of people are interested in their pups.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
But does that make me bad as I pay a yearly subscription and have an add running for a Planned litter? its not a free adds site its a breeders site,, but if im not selling pups solely by word of mouth is that a bad thing?
I think it is a notorious couple of sites in particular which people are mainly getting at. Putting details on your own site or your own page somewhere (I feel) is a bit different.

I'd compare putting your pups on a free ad site, to putting your pups in a newspaper or a notice in a shop window. It's all the same sort of thing, reaching the same sort of buyer. If you are a good breeder then advertising in the free ads doesn't automatically mean you are a terrible breeder for doing so, it's just that from what I have seen, for every 100 ads on there you'd be lucky to find one decent breeder among them, and the same for the buyers. I find people who I personally have spoken to, who look in papers and free ads for pups, are people who haven't really done much research into what they are about to embark on. Of course there are always exceptions but like the decent breeders, are few and far between.

I personally would rather go to someone who I have heard a lot of good things about from others (word of mouth), and heard from people who know what kind of dog they breed and that they do it right, than someone I have never heard of from the free ads.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Kel do you think they have better word of mouth sales as they do more showing than I do? Or that they have been breeding longer plays a part?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 11:22 AM
But does that make me bad as I pay a yearly subscription and have an add running for a Planned litter? its not a free adds site its a breeders site,, but if im not selling pups solely by word of mouth is that a bad thing?
Same here, breeders have dogs left over for lots of reason. I had a list of 10 people for 8 puppies, only three decided to buy two had gone elsewhere and got a puppy quicker and one of the others I decided against at the last minute. Also Bron was hardly showing so I didnt expect such a big litter. I also pay a yearly subscription to a breeders site and my ads on there, this doesnt make me a bad breeder. People use the internet more and more nowadays and I see it as a neccesary evil.
As I stated all of the breed clubs recommend me as well so I see nothing wrong with advertising my well bred health checked litter on the internet.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2008, 11:22 AM
No, that is why I said there is no black and white...

There are some reputable sites, the kC , breed sites and so on, not to mention breeders own web sites, I guess you can call that advertising too.

What is the most important thing is the breeder behind the advert....

The ethics of that breeder, how many litters they produce in a year, and so on... if you advertise on a reputable site (although even then it can be a grey area) and done all you can to produce a healthy ,a well tempered litter, then advertising is not unethical.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 11:23 AM
In our area, most of the dogs on free adds are poor quality, I havent seen a single rottie breeder I know of on them,, so guess thats a valid point,
I have held onto pups rather than advertise them in papers, as you know tegan was scanned with four pups and had eleven, It wasnt a problem, I kept two, I had homes lined up but I still homed three through my add on the breeders site, x
Dilkara
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2008, 11:27 AM
I think a prospective owner new to the dog world may not know where to look for a pup, so may start off looking on the freeads. (I know I did last year when i first started considering getting an older dog)

So if more reputabable breeders advertised, perhaps with just advice on how to find a good breeder it might help put a few more 'backyarders' out of business.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I sold a pup through one of theres sites to a doctor and his family. On the site Im thinking of there are perhaps 6 welshie breeders on there and all of them are members of the breed clubs and are very ethical breeders.
With regards to the buyers, I throughly vet all my new owners regardless of where there enquiry comes from.
Do you consider the KC site that advertiszes pups ethical because there are a couple of breeders with litters on there at the moment that most of us have never heard of.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Dilkara View Post
I think a prospective owner new to the dog world may not know where to look for a pup, so may start off looking on the freeads. (I know I did last year when i first started considering getting an older dog)

So if more reputabable breeders advertised, perhaps with just advice on how to find a good breeder it might help put a few more 'backyarders' out of business.
Thats exactly the point I was making, I've reppied you,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Dilkara View Post

I guess that makes a very valid arguement, So poss a good idea would be breed clubs running an add for that breed with a helpline sort of number where people could call and get info and a list of good breeders,
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »