View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 09:25 PM

Would you sell your pups on a free ads site?

Just had an enquiry from a couple I met at Crufts, they sent me 3 links to 3 different free ads site for pups in their area, for me to see what I thought. I am totally amazed at the amount of pups/dogs for sale on these sites!!

I wouldnt dream of using one to sell any pups of mine, but would you? Surely any responsibly bred litters shouldnt need to be advertised on such sites? Discuss.
Dawn.

p.s I only browsed the Borders for sale, Ill have a beak at other breeds later.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 09:43 PM
There are a LOT Dawn and sometimes I have a look through just to see who is advertising on there and what their adverts say and I have been known to respond to some of the more ridiculous adverts when they get my temper up (i.e. the latest one was someone selling 2 rotties saying they would look good behind a set of iron gates!)

If I ever bred then no, i'd never sell my pups on there nor would I buy from there, albeit there are some good breeders on their trying to give joe public an opportunity to own a well bred pup, but I think sorting the good from the bad, you'd have a job as it is a rare occasion you see a decent breeder on such sites. Same goes with the breeder sorting the good potential owners from the bad, as I said, not where I would look for a pup.

JMO
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 09:48 PM
I agree with you Kel, it would be the last place Id ever look for a pup, some of the garbage on there is incredible! I just wonder if "responsible" breeders are that at all if they need to resort to advertising on such sites?
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Yes i would i think people need to see the real breeders and good breeder than make there own mind up.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 09:59 PM
I know of a lot of reputable breeders who DO in fact advertise on those sites for one simple reason (even if they have no puppies !) because if average Joe is looking for a pup, and they only see the unreputable ones, they automatically assume that that's all there is ! So they advertise so that Joe Bloggs has a 'Choice' of good breeders and bad

Edited to add : If more reputable, good breeders advertised (this has been an argument of mine for a few years now !) then MORE people would see that there actually is a huge amount of difference between those that 'shout' about what they have, and those that can 'prove' what they have.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
NO if I bred I would NEVER advertise on there..

AND I would NEVER buy from there either..
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I agree with you Kel, it would be the last place Id ever look for a pup, some of the garbage on there is incredible! I just wonder if "responsible" breeders are that at all if they need to resort to advertising on such sites?
I can only really say for the breeds I am interested in Dawn but I have seen what I would class as responsible breeders, 1 in rotts and then they were selling an older pup that they had run on, never seen any good breeders in weims on there or any who I personally would go to in rotts, although there are a few who do hipscore and health check and do ok in the ring, advertising on there at the moment. It would put me off if I saw a breeder I was interested in advertising on such sites and I would be inclined to look elsewhere if they were.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I wonder whether there might be some value in responsible, ethical breeders advertising among the dross. The mention of the various health tests and other desirable details, may provoke some dialogue and give an alternative for Joe Public to choose.

My breeding experience is very limited, having only ever bred one litter containing two puppies, both of which I kept. However, I very well might advertise on a site such as these in the hope of educating one or two people along the way.

Dawn R.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I have never used a free add site, I do however have one site that I pay for each year where {I may advertise should I have a litter,,, I do have an add on at the moment but its a planned litter add,,more than pups for sale,, that way if someone wishes to go onto my waiting list they can contact me,} this gives me plenty of time to do checks on people and see if they would be good owners for the breed,
im not really into the free adds,
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
I wonder whether there might be some value in responsible, ethical breeders advertising among the dross. The mention of the various health tests and other desirable details, may provoke some dialogue and give an alternative for Joe Public to choose.

My breeding experience is very limited, having only ever bred one litter containing two puppies, both of which I kept. However, I very well might advertise on a site such as these in the hope of educating one or two people along the way.

Dawn R.
exactly what i thought
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »