View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 02:49 AM

should pups know a certain amount by a certain age?

my pup is nearly 12 weeks old now, and when i visited the vets 2 days ago, she said 'how is the training coming along?' and its just my personaltiy but i always get defensive and i was like 'oh well he knows: 'sit' 'shake' paw(im so proud i taught him that!! never thought id be able to do it!)

'basket' (to sit in his basket, kinda half way there if treats can be seen his 100% there! ) 'leave' which is 50% there with food on the floor and 100% there with food on my hand, 'NO!' which today was 100% there on every occasion i used it!!! and 'off' (like off the sofa if he jumps up it) is about 50%ish there (its a new one)

and teaching him 'come' mainly everyday as i know thats a biggie if i ever let him off the lead........(which isnt going to happen for a V long time yet!)

anyway, is that a good amount for a pup to be learning? she didnt say it was good or bad, she didnt say anything really and i felt a little bad like im not doing enough to teach him??

on one hand his doing good and i feel like mini sessions a day that we are having are coming along nicly, he got 'sit' within about 2mins and has done it ever since, paw took about 5mins, basket took about 5/10mins, all little bits through the day so it doesnt overload him, or he doesnt get bored.

is this ok? i always seem to feel like im not doing good or enough for him?

any reassurance please?! :smt102
Thanks!!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 06:31 AM
There are no rights and wrongs about it - what matters is that sessions are fun for you both, short and sweet sessions are best, and working on one particular element at one time - its when trying to teach several thing in one go or not nough of a gap between different `lessons` that can be an overload, not actual numbers of elements learned in total

Much of what a dog learns is not always during a session but afterward, when cues etc have had time for the dog to `process`, then on the next session there is usually recognition and that element can be worked on further or `fine-tuned`, during however many sessions a dog needs to figure out and become adept at a particular `task` - some elements can be learned very easily, others may take longer

There are many adult dogs about which have never been taught Sit or Leave or anything else so the fact that you are interacting with pup in what sounds like a very structured and thoughtful way puts you way ahead of the game imo

A pup getting to use his brain to learn, and getting to do things with you as a team and companion - that`s what its all about for bringing up a happy and confident young dog - its not about `how many` things he might learn over a day, a week, a month, a year etc, but the enjoyment of learning and succeeding each time he does learn something new, and keeps getting rewarded with praise for being consistent on the things he has already worked on, and your littl`un sounds like he is loving everything he`s getting to do

The vet was probably just making conversation you know, don`t read anything into it hun
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Agree with everything Patch has said. Also breeds vary vastly in their ability to process information, you get the quick ones such as collies and poodles who seem to put everyone else to shame and the slower ones like my Boxer who then earns the title Mr Thickie
As Patch says as long as you are having fun and interacting with your pup then don't worry about it.
As I show most of mine aren't taught sit as a puppy, they learn stand first so it's really down to what you want from your dog and teach them accordingly!
Becky
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 01:01 PM
ahh thanks!!!

the 'lessons!' are really short only 5 mins with loadsa play before and after!!

we just did basket again and sit and paw! he remembered it all yippee!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 05:27 PM
With the first dog I was very conscientious and did lots of training at home and being a collie, he only had to be shown once and he'd get it. I started straight away with sit, down etc. He knew his basic commands inside out by the time he went to obedience classes.

However with the next pup I havent put any extra time in with him and it shows. he's 9 months old now and yesterday did a down by voice command only for the first time. Usually he needs prompting with a hand motion towards the floor.

I started with the basics obviously straight away placing a special emphasis on teaching him a recall as the other dog had been so poor at it. But he definately knows far less than Jed did at the same age simply because I havent put in the work and he's a far slower learner.

I think it's more important to teach dogs boundaries when they are a pup rather than commands but there are obviously some commands which you need them to know straight away. I wouldnt go too in depth with them at this age, just concentrate on teaching manners.

After all, i'd sooner go into a puppy obedience class with a dog who had learned how to greet people (and perhaps other dogs) correctly and not to barge around knocking into folk than a dog who knew paw and play dead but caused a riot in class.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 10:35 PM
hiya, thanks! oh i know! we are teaching manners to, not to jump up etc, its still for for him to learn stuff we make it all a game and he also does it for his food sit & wait for it!
he enjoys himself so we will carry on teaching him that and manners as we go along!