View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Suze the DDA is not enforced,it doesn't work.
If it did little Ellie would still be here,there would be no pitts.the DDA came into force in 1991,17 years later we are still seeing attacks by so called Pitts.

Alot of police officers can't tell you what a pitt looks like,so how the hell are they suppose to enforce the law.By banning breeds we are doing nothing to address the root of the problem.

The DDA has had no impact on reducing dog attacks,the evidence is there for all to see.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Sal you keep comparing other breeds doing damage to that of the PB, you cant! If a Jack Russell bites your leg I guarantee you your bones wont be crushed and all the flesh ripped from your leg, however the same cannot be said if a Pit Bull did this to you. NOBODY is saying kill all the PB, I asked a question, "is this happening too often" and I think the answer is yes it is! Personally I think something does need to be done as attacks on this scale are bang out of order!

The PB was NEVER designed to bite and attack people, what has happened to it, and if it has become an unstable breed, what needs to be done?
Something does need to be done Dawn,starting with the idiots who own them for their own status symbol.
As I have previously said ALL owners should be made accountable for their dogs actions,if it kills a child etc....charges of murder should be brought.While we rely on the DDA to reduce attacks etc we are moving backwards not forwards.

The Pitt has fallen into the wrong hands,been bred from with iffy temperament etc disaster waiting to happen,not just with the pitt, all breeds.
I experienced an attack on my son by a bullmastiff,a large powerful breed,this dog I would say is capable of inflicting just as much damage as a Pitt.

Alot of Pitts in the states are good at their jobs,search & rescue,Pat dogs,sniffer dogs etc....If there a breed that is unpredictable & unreliable why do they do these jobs?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:46 AM
why are their still pits in the country and they are banned??

what is the point of having a law if its not enforced

if it was down to me, id ban all pits and make sure every person has a dog lisence that they ahve to renew every eyar - like a car lisence - but 2 strikes (like 2 bites e.g) and your dog is pts

if the law said tomorow that pit and pit types were banned id be made up - then police could more easily recognise them - it dosent take a genius to work out what a pitbull looks like - we have 2 round here - and if i see them again i shall be following them home and reporting them - its not right - same with that pit which as been freed after 4 years - it should be destroyed - its a banned breed, follow the rules - its not one rule for one and one for another...
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:48 AM
oh one more thing - if pits were wiped out, and ENFORCED wiped out, then ellie lawrenson would be alive - but sadly because they are still allowed to roam, the poor little girl was murdered

so elimiating one problem will solve somthing and if necessary ban more breeds - this is why this country is total bollo* - because they dont enforce anything =!!!!!!!! really winds me up
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Suze you might like to read though the DDA,
Pitts & type are banned under the DDA,doesn't mean they will be given a death sentence though.

If these dogs are seized by the Police or RSPCA they have no powers to PTS unless the owner gives permission.If the owner does not give permission it's then down to the courts to either list the dog on the register of exempted dogs or to grant a destruction order which can be appealed against by the owner,this has happened a few times,the case won,the dog goes home.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:58 AM
so basically joe bloggs could buy a pit bull and keep it without being done for it??

start banning and destroying breeds - its the only way this problem is going to be solved
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Something does need to be done Dawn,starting with the idiots who own them for their own status symbol.
As I have previously said ALL owners should be made accountable for their dogs actions,if it kills a child etc....charges of murder should be brought.While we rely on the DDA to reduce attacks etc we are moving backwards not forwards.

The Pitt has fallen into the wrong hands,been bred from with iffy temperament etc disaster waiting to happen,not just with the pitt, all breeds.
I experienced an attack on my son by a bullmastiff,a large powerful breed,this dog I would say is capable of inflicting just as much damage as a Pitt.

Alot of Pitts in the states are good at their jobs,search & rescue,Pat dogs,sniffer dogs etc....If there a breed that is unpredictable & unreliable why do they do these jobs?
I agree re unsuitable owners, goes for all breeds.

Again, I never said ALL, not all Borders will work, but most of them will. I dont doubt PB work, they use Dobes as guide dogs in the States too, I reckon a fair few could do that here.

What I am saying is that the frequency and severity of the attacks by PBs are increasing, you cannot deny that, and I think something needs to be done. We shouldnt of seen that little girl killed here, but we know that dog was of an unnaceptable breed and we know that the breeding still goes on, so how can we stop it? Banning a breed will massively reduce the amount of attacks wouldnt it?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I agree re unsuitable owners, goes for all breeds.

Again, I never said ALL, not all Borders will work, but most of them will. I dont doubt PB work, they use Dobes as guide dogs in the States too, I reckon a fair few could do that here.

What I am saying is that the frequency and severity of the attacks by PBs are increasing, you cannot deny that, and I think something needs to be done. We shouldnt of seen that little girl killed here, but we know that dog was of an unnaceptable breed and we know that the breeding still goes on, so how can we stop it? Banning a breed will massively reduce the amount of attacks wouldnt it?
By banning something i.e the Pitt it makes it more apealing to the wrong sort.It drives people underground,breeding indiscriminatly which makes these dogs even more unpredictable,it's harder for the authorities to flush out these people.As for reducing attacks would it,I'm not so sure.A breed that was banned killed a little girl the begining of the year,will it be the last attack by that breed on a child,Sadly I very much doubt it.
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

28-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
so basically joe bloggs could buy a pit bull and keep it without being done for it??

start banning and destroying breeds - its the only way this problem is going to be solved
IT should always deed not breed....IMO

If were breed then, i would have to add your collies to the list...two of them severely attacked my friends wee girl several years ago disfiguring her, and almost making her lose a finger.....

Every breed of dog has the potential to cause damage

By the way what is a Pitbull.......?? if they are not a definate breed ?? how can they be distinguished..
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
IT should always deed not breed....IMO

If were breed then, i would have to add your collies to the list...two of them severely attacked my friends wee girl several years ago disfiguring her, and almost making her lose a finger.....

Every breed of dog has the potential to cause damage

By the way what is a Pitbull.......?? if they are not a definate breed ?? how can they be distinguished..
so when a little girl is mauled and disfigured by the dog the owers recieve a bo**ocking - and? its too late - so from a breed that is aknown killer - pit bull - it should be destroye d before it does anything......

Ok - why were pit bulls banned??? your telling me collies are as bad - dont make me laugh

a pit can do far more damage to someone/thing than a collie can because of their build and power

Of course every breed has the potential to cause damage - theres not douby of that - but its the extent of damage that the breed causes

You do a line up of pits x's and staffys and i could point out a pit - easily - poliece need to be better trained and be allowed to have the authority to seaze and destroy a dog they think is a pit
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 37 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »