Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
but not all pitbulls attack people either ???
But the ones that do are serious attacks that kill children.........surely that counts for something !

if you are going down that route then you have to look at in size over everything - so if a baby was bitten by a yorkshire terier then it would do far more damage than if that same yorkie attacked an adult?

so where do you draw the line ??

anyway speaking of babies i have one that will probably be up soon so am off to bed !!!
Size means nothing !

How many Leonburgers or St Bernards have you heard of killing people !! Sorry but that's ludicrous.

I'm not talking about size I'm talking about inherant capability ! PBs were bred because of their temperament for fighting and were bred in a way that their conformation allows them to be very successful at it. THAT in itself is more dangerous than a Yorkie that bites anyone !
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-12-2007, 12:33 AM
not sure if i beleive that steve, if someone tried to take bruno off me i would fight for him and i beleive you would do the same with vegas ? if he hadnt done anything to anyone and it was just hype due to attacks by dogs ???

there is nothing that would stop me from fighting for bruno...if he was innocent of anything.

thats like saying all drivers are banned due to some crap ones ??
Yes i would fight if he was innocent Danni,but if a law was passed-there wouldnt be much i could do about it.What could i do-barricade my doors? I know there are some tw*ts out there who shouldnt be incharge of their own feet let alone a powerful dog,but until some sort of dog control law comes along-i honestly dont think anything will change.Because Pitts are already banned-attacks by them are fortunately rare,but the goverment could take the easy route again and just add more breeds to the list should certain types keep cropping up in headlines.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 03:12 AM
I'm surprised that this question would even be raised by someone in the UK. Surely, this past decade or so with the DDA has taught you something?

If you outlaw the breed, it makes that breed all the more appealing to the sort of people who would own a marauding aggressive pitbull to begin with. The pitbull is hugely popular, in the U.S. and all over the world. You aren't going to be able to put a breed to extinction that 1) isn't even a breed and 2) is so hugely popular with both the general population and the seedy underbelly of society (to wit, since when has said seedy underbelly cared or conformed to any law?)

Not all Pitbulls bite, not all pitbulls attack humans OR dogs. In fact, the vast majority of all pitbulls are big soft lumps of dogs. I'd pick a pitbull temperment over a labradors anyday. I work with pits EVERYDAY. Unlike most of you, I actually know first hand what a pitbull is really like. They aren't the monsters the media make them out to be. A very small percentage of these dogs attack and kill, so for the .01% of dogs that go bad, you would kill off the entire breed?

A Siberian Tiger attacked and killed someone at a Zoo this week? Should be wipe the Siberian Tiger off the face of the planet now? Surely, if it takes a human life, the supreme being, then it has no RIGHT to life of its own (Insert sarcastic smiley here). Please. In the U.S. most violent crimes are committed by black people (according to your precious statistics) So by your logic, we should eliminate the black race from the planet, to save some lives and make people feel safer in the world? What about terrorists. Many Terrorists who have killed lots of innocent people are of middle Eastern decent. Perhaps we should just perpetrate genocide in that part of the world, for the good of the whole you know. I would hope you agree that those anhialating an entire race of people is a bit extreme. Is what you propose any different? I think not. Destroying the pit bull as a breed is like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Not only is the idea of totally breeding out the pit bull ridiculous, its impossible. Face facts, the pit bull is here to stay. The very idea of this is nothing more than a cheap ploy by someone with nothing better to do, than start an argument on a dog forum. Now lets have a truly important discussion about how to best address the problem of irresponsible and negligent animal husbandry in the world.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Dani, who is saying taking dogs off people? None of the PB were taken off anyone here when the ban came about, just the ones who's owners saw fit to act above the law, and it was their dogs who suffered, but NOT their doing!

MUZZRULE
If you outlaw the breed, it makes that breed all the more appealing to the sort of people who would own a marauding aggressive pitbull to begin with.
They are banned here, the only ones supposedly owned by the type of people you speak of are fighting dogs and thats been banned for donkeys years! never going to change that! and I say again, when was the last time anyone saw a PB that was a fighting dog responsible for any attack on a person?

Not all Pitbulls bite, not all pitbulls attack humans OR dogs.
Nobody said they did! However they are responsible for the most serious and the most fatal attacks on humans.

Unlike most of you, I actually know first hand what a pitbull is really like.
Well considering I have been boarding them, for the last 15yrs on a regular basis, I think I know just a tad about them too. :smt002 :smt001

A Siberian Tiger attacked and killed someone at a Zoo this week? Should be wipe the Siberian Tiger off the face of the planet now?
Pardon? but if you are asking if Siberian Tigers are kept in peoples houses, allowed to escape and attack people resulting in deaths on a worrying scale, then yes, perhaps we should! But of course we dont keep 1/2 ton Tigers as pets do we!

Finally........
I'm surprised that this question would even be raised by someone in the UK. Surely, this past decade or so with the DDA has taught you something?

Unlike most of you, I actually know first hand what a pitbull is really like

In the U.S. most violent crimes are committed by black people (according to your precious statistics) So by your logic, we should eliminate the black race from the planet, to save some lives and make people feel safer in the world?

I suggest you read the comments above and consider why at all you bother to talk to "us" at all! Your comments are offensive and rude!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 08:49 AM
If you want to stop people being killed by dogs, solely based on what dogs have killed then apart from PB's, rotties, greyhounds, american bulldogs, bull crosses will all have to be eradicated too as all of these breeds have been responsible for the deaths of people in this country over the last couple of decades.
If we want to reduce the incidence of dog attacks on people full stop then the list will have to be extended to include, westies, border collies, cockers (both types), Lhasa Apso, Shih Tzu, GSD and so on. I've been bitten, in some cases really badly, by all of those breeds.
If all dog breeds that are 'capable' of killing a person should they turn are considered then basically anything over about 16" at the shoulder will have to be eradicated.
I don't see where you would draw the line.
I think there needs to be greater controls on the breeding and sale of dogs in general and maybe, instead of eradication (other than those breeds already banned here in the UK as that law simply isn't going to change) there needs to be some sort of licencing if you wish to own large powerful breeds :smt102
Becky
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 10:43 AM
ok i'll add this to it...

pits (and the 3 other breeds but were focusing on pits) were banned for a reason - fighting

i agree with pillocks will choose another breed if the pitbull breed was culled - wiped out completely which imo wouldnt be a bad thing.... then they move onto the next breed which imo woudl be staffys... then if they turned out the same as pits which with breeding etc they could do (aggression wise)- etc etc

but - instead of using staffs which are what else these idiots use, what other breed would they use and why would they use staffs??? because of their power and jaw etc

for fighting say, what would you use a staff or a lab???? yes i know labs have attacked, collies have, poms have - rotties have etc etc

but which breed AFTER pits are in an idiots mind the second closest to use for fighting ........

my point is yes i agree with you wiping out pits will amke them move onto another breed TO AN EXTENT - becuase some prat will make sure they keep importing pits

imo all pits should be banned in the UK - muzzled or not - there should be no acception to the rule - like that one theother week that had eben in kennels for 4 year - it should have been destroyed, it was a pit

ell ya what - i'll go import one,,, so easy now a days - dosent matter if its illegal.... stupid people let others get away with it... so wrong
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Ok,
Kenneth Baker who rushed to introduce the DDA failed to tell us, that the breeds that have actually killed people in the UK over the past 50 years include a West Highland White Terrier, Golden Retriever and “Jack Russell”.

Now should we add these breeds to the DDA?

Links to other Dog attacks below
All breeds bite
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
ok i'll add this to it...

pits (and the 3 other breeds but were focusing on pits) were banned for a reason - fighting

i agree with pillocks will choose another breed if the pitbull breed was culled - wiped out completely which imo wouldnt be a bad thing.... then they move onto the next breed which imo woudl be staffys... then if they turned out the same as pits which with breeding etc they could do (aggression wise)- etc etc

but - instead of using staffs which are what else these idiots use, what other breed would they use and why would they use staffs??? because of their power and jaw etc

for fighting say, what would you use a staff or a lab???? yes i know labs have attacked, collies have, poms have - rotties have etc etc

but which breed AFTER pits are in an idiots mind the second closest to use for fighting ........

my point is yes i agree with you wiping out pits will amke them move onto another breed TO AN EXTENT - becuase some prat will make sure they keep importing pits

imo all pits should be banned in the UK - muzzled or not - there should be no acception to the rule - like that one theother week that had eben in kennels for 4 year - it should have been destroyed, it was a pit

ell ya what - i'll go import one,,, so easy now a days - dosent matter if its illegal.... stupid people let others get away with it... so wrong

Suze where did you get your info???
Pitts were not banned because off fighting,they were banned under the DDA for the increasing amount of dog attacks on young children and from what I can recall I think the pitt was responsible for 33% of attacks.
It follows a pattern in the 80's it was rotties,German shepherds & Dobermann's in the early 90's it was Pitts,now these morons are cross breeding staffies & other breeds to get an aggressive dog.
Banning breeds is not the answer,
before we know it there will be many more added to the DDA if that is the route to take,prosicuting and handing out prison sentences will I believe go along to help.If a dog kills a child a charge of murder should be brought .
Dog Owners need to be held accountable for the actions of their dog,regardless of the breed.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:26 AM
but if breeds are not banned, then how can poilce etc make an impact on the dangerous dogs in the world??

Dogs like collies, labs, jack russles etc are not going to be banned because they are not so closely associated with the bite of a pit.... sadly for staffys,, they are.. because people can cross pits with them or fob pits off as staffy crosses even though they are so different
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Sal you keep comparing other breeds doing damage to that of the PB, you cant! If a Jack Russell bites your leg I guarantee you your bones wont be crushed and all the flesh ripped from your leg, however the same cannot be said if a Pit Bull did this to you. NOBODY is saying kill all the PB, I asked a question, "is this happening too often" and I think the answer is yes it is! Personally I think something does need to be done as attacks on this scale are bang out of order!

The PB was NEVER designed to bite and attack people, what has happened to it, and if it has become an unstable breed, what needs to be done?
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 37 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »